THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index
Heads Up, Canada (for my newspaper friends)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> General news topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hatrackman
Honourable member
Honourable member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Heads Up, Canada (for my newspaper friends) Reply with quote

Heads Up, Canada (for my newspaper friends)

-

On September 10th there was an unnoticed appeal in an unnoticed courtroom in Victoria, BC.

In a matter of weeks there will be an unarguable BC Supreme Court ruling affirming the right for homeless people to erect and maintain temporary abodes, and confirming my and my co-appellant's argument that it is not Constitutional, nor reasonable under Section 1, to make the right available only for certain hours during the day.

As of the Constitutional question, the City of Victoria had, recognizing the deprivations of life and liberty in forcefully regimenting the sleep patterns of people who're neither incarcerated in jail nor committed in a psych ward, sought to be given the 'right suspending' authority of a section 1 exemption (the point in law where Martial Law comes from). To be awarded section 1 exemption one must demonstrate that there is no other Constitutional alternative. The judge was made aware there has been no municipally sanctioned attempts at zoning for public tenting.

The consequence and the precedence are very grand and far-stretching. The reality of a re-establishment of the Commons and the fact that they will be almost filled, almost instantly, with tent-zones peopled with people too smart and too lucky to stand for anything less than to be duly respected.

A true social safety-net. If you have nowhere to go you always have a place to go. Maybe there needs to be no grand War Measures Act thingy for us to face this most testing future. Maybe, just maybe, tent-zones have been the trick, all along...

Then, as a country, we will shine as countries rarely do- enlightened and stalwart.

Patience be with us all.

David Arthur Johnston

Victoria, BC, Canada

Hatrackman@Gmail.com

Home page- http://www.angelfire.com/apes/hatrackman

Journal of the Occupation of St. Ann's Academy (Victoria, BC, Canada)- http://www.angelfire.com/apes/hatrackman/welcome.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> General news topics All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: