THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index
Urbanhog's Pot Cooking FAQ's - common questions answered

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Talk about yum! M MMM Good!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Urbanhog

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 8:10 am    Post subject: Urbanhog's Pot Cooking FAQ's - common questions answered Reply with quote

I have been asked several same questions now and then, so I thought I might aswell set up other thread with FAQ's in canna-cooking

Q: Why are you always talking about making sure that foods that you added pot into has plenty of fats/oils, etc??

A: Because Cannabis's main psychoactive chemical, Tetrahydrocannabinol, or delta 9 THC, commonly known as just "THC" is often easily soluble in oil/fat bases and also in alcohol bases. Which is easily quickly dissolving thru how body's blood's system and also the Liver, which also helps to get the THC effects quicker.

For example, The differences between adding the cannabutter in Choc-Mud-Muffins and "Health Freak's Low-Fat Cookies" is the fats levels, the effects will be quickenly noticed in like 30-90mins depending how empty your stomach is, and these Health cookies will take longer to feel the effects, perhaps in 2-3 hours, even 4 hours in some cases, because it's taking longer to break down the THC's in your stomach to be readily asborbed in your stomach. BUT the Effects will still last the same length/time.

That's why one of Marijuana's main distinction between Marijuana and other drugs is that cannabionoids is oil based, most other drugs are in alkaloids which is water based, thats why non-cannabis users using other drugs are more likely to get away with drug tests, it's the Marijuana users suffer the worst becase the cannabinoids stays in your body's fat system longer, and are more likely to be caught in drug tests. That's why often you see in these marijuana receipe books is often full of sweets foods due their high fat content, but I like to widen my range, and cover in whole range from snacks to starters to main course to desserts to drinks.

Q: Once I made a canna-cake, and it got me totally wasted in 30-45 mintues, and my friend didn't feel any effects for about 2-3 hours even we both ate in the same doses?

A: That's why making dosage considerations is important, because the dosages is not just based on the amounts of THC in foods/drinks, but the body size and the user's experiences. Everyone's body is different, just like our DNA "fingerprints", maybe big guys might need larger amounts of THC, and skinny person might less amount of THC, or due the user's tolerence toward the THC.

Also if the user has been smoking fairly heaps of weed before consuming the canna-foods, the person might be not able to notice any differences for a fair while, they seem to be more likely to "over-eat" cookies due the munchies from smoking the weed and more likely to get "THC-Overdosed", some people can handle overdoses, they just fallen asleep like Homer Simpson, but I have seen some cases, when people ate a half a cake, and they were freaking out big time.... that's why dosage considerations is important, it's often better to have low dosage in canna-butter or weed in some cases, because novices are more likely to get excited making their "first cookies" and they seem to have "expectations" and they eat the first piece and wait...and nothing happens in 30 minutes so they eat other piece, then nothing happens then other piece then BANG, "oh shit! I wish I didn't eat that extra cookie" because it's often first eating marijuana expereinces is a lot different to what they first expected. It's best to eat more cookies/cakes AFTER you feel the effects for those novices.

I prefer to eat canna-foods without smoking weed beforehand eating weeds, I rather smoke the weed AFTER I feel the effects, so I can work out if I have added, used, the right cannabis dosages, etc...

Don't be surprised if you ate canna-foods after dinner and you probably will still feel bit stoned the next day in some cases.

Q: What happens if I get Overdosed??

A: Nothing really, depending how you are handling it, if you are enjoying the effects, there's nothing to worry about, just enjoy the organic psychedelic ride.... Otherwise if you see someone or a friend ate too much, and they seem to "panic", "freaking out" "sweating" or "went whitey" (dunno the saying you know what I mean when user's faces go white), just talk to them gentle, help them to relax, stay calm, keep telling them that they are fine, the effects will go away, etc.. and give them plenty of sweet drinks, water, take them somewhere comfortable like bed or your favorite couch, etc...

That's why in some cases for some people dosages can be diffcult because it's TOTALLY DIFFERENT to smoking weed, when you smoke weed, you can control the effects/dosages, but with eating/cooking weed, you can't really know unleast you are expereinced user/cook, you can eat eat eat eat, but you will have no idea when the effects will be like until they come up, and once you feel the effects, it's not the "end", in some cases it will just keep coming stronger and stronger and the effects is very long lasting, it's not uncommon for me to have cookies for morning tea about 10ish, and I will still feel the effects way after dinner like 7-8pm and still feel bit "drowsy" the next day, it's all depending on how you prepared your butter, etc....cooked your meals, etc.. like I have said many times, it's all about practice, experience and knowledge, and even you guys think I have a lot of knowledge in canna-cooking, hey my "mission" is not yet over, and I am still learning, always will for many years to come...... Would love to publish "Urbanhog's Cookbook" one day....guess I can dream...

Q: I noticed that in some of your recipes that you need to use few grams of buds, isn't that expensive??

A: Yes, if you are a buyer, If you are a grower, not really?? I often use buds a lot, and it doesn't cost me a dime, only the growing's running costs. That's why it's good idea to start growing your own.

Q: Why simmer your cannabuter for ages, like 6-9 hours??what's wrong with just quick and easy 2 hours boiling/simmering??

A: A lot mate, the longer you simmer, the more concentrated the THC's/cannabionoids is in the butter, and the more potent the butter gets, the less butter you need to add in your receipes, and last longer and more receipes you can make from your cannabutter.

Q: My cannabutter tasted like shit, and it didn't taste nice in some products?

A: See this thread called Cannabutter Part 2, I have added few tips to improve the taste. Cannabutter Part 2

Q: How do you work out your receipes??

A: I have working for several years in the hospitality industry, and I have learnt to make so many products, and sometimes I just randomly look thru my receipe books and just pick a receipe for a normal cookbook, not these marijuana cookbooks, and look thru the Ingredients, and study how much butter/oil the receipe uses, and I just replace the butter to cannabutter, but most of the time I use 50/50 normal and cannabutter because some meals and the way I prepare the cannabutter might be way too potent for me or my guests. Sometimes I find a receipe and never touch/change the butter just use normal buds instead, like the Pies and Casseroles and Pasta sauces because if I used the butter, it can may the sauces/meals bit "greasy/buttery" so I use buds instead, and still don't taste the buds at all due the masking agents like garlic, pepper, spices, herbs, etc... Because I like to eat foods, I like to have big meals, sometimes I like to have big meals without getting too wasted halfway thru my dinner, I like to have low dose cannabutter/buds, so I can enjoy BOTH the meal and the effects at the same time!!

Q: Cool! now you have given me receipes and it will be funny to give canna-cookies to guests without letting them know..heheheh

A: I really strongly advise you NOT to do this, I mean how would you feel if someone spiked your drink without your knowledge?? even they thought it will "help" you to have "good time", and you reacted badly?? it's the same with canna-foods, everyone's bodies/minds is different. I wouldn't support people spiking foods with cannabis, it's not worth it in some cases, specially to these people who never tried cannabis before as they are more likely to panic/freak out, as there's been plenty of media reports with people ending up in the hospital when eating spiked foods, as I am sure everyone knows about these two bible bashers ended up in the hospital few years ago in VIC. (for people in Australia, they know, but for overseas members: what happened was two bible bashers were invitied to a house and they accepted a guest's offer a plate of pot cookies and they didnt know there was pot in the cookies, and they ended up in the hospital for panic attacks, and still they have "forgiven" the people who gave the cookies to them LOL)

I guess, it's all for now, I need a break, have a cookie, have a glass of rum and coke, any more Questions, please feel free to ask me.....I guess it's my job to help fellow keen canna-cooks Very Happy

Urbanhog

Last edited by Urbanhog on Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Urbanhog

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently received a PM from PrayerWarrior asking me few questions and thought might share here. (forgive me for me taking while to reply) Smile

Quote:
PrayerWarrior asked me:
I am interested in your thoughts/findings.
Do you use fresh leaves or dried?
How well does "shake" or prunings work?
And, if so how much do you suggest for say one cup of oil or butter?

OK OK OK welll...... Smile

Quote:
Do you use fresh leaves or dried?

Always dried... always. I have never used fresh for cooking... I just think its a lot easier to handle for cooking-wise dried.

Quote:
How well does "shake" or prunings work?

VERY WELL...... especially if you are making cannabutter the more "shake" you used the better because it depending on the quailty of the "shake" there's always some THC properties leftover even in low doses.

Because even if you add too much and ended up a very potent product, it means it will last you longer and you need less doses for measuring, so for example if you using a receipe to make cookies and you needed to use 1 cup of butter but a tablespoon or few of cannabutter is enough you finish off the rest with adding more normal butter or oil to make even 1 cup measurement of "butter" mixure.

When you say "prunings" you mean stems? I throw them a away, rarely use them in cooking, there might be a few stems in my mixture when I whip up some cannabutter.

But if you are talking about a whole stockpot of STEMS... nah... it won't work, even there might be some THC but it might possiblity end up in sweet fuck all doses.

If you mean "prunings" and "shake" as the same thing... read above Smile

Quote:
And, if so how much do you suggest for say one cup of oil or butter?

It varies.... if you mean making 1 cup of oil/butter for ONE receipe like a cake or sauces maybe 1/4 to 1/2 oz of buds or 1/2 to 1 oz of leaves or trimmings or shake.

Potentcy varies from indoors to outdoors to strains.

It also it depends I have said in the FAQ somewhere and Cannabutter guide, there are people want to eat little bit to get wasted or some people cannot help themselves to second or third or even more servings.

It might be wise if you are serving canna-foods to those people who cannot stop eating too much, maybe make them in low doses of cannabis so they won't get too wasted if they ate the 2nd/3rd serving and end up with real bad trip. Because I have witnessed plenty of people simply CANNOT handle high doses of cann-foods as its WAY different effects compared to smoking it.

For me... I rather use huge amounts of cannabis leaves, buds, trimmings or shake, whatever you people call them and make it REALLY POTENT so I will just need low doses to add into my cooking if I am preparing something using heavy duty Cannabutter, Canna-Pesto, Canna-Oil.

So it will end up some meals/foods tasing nicer without too much "canna-after-taste".

Hence like I said that there are some people who cannot help themselves if they eat too much and I am one of them Wink

Cheers and Peace

Urbie Cool
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime."
--Mark Twain, The Innocents Abroad (1869)
PrayerWarrior
Cannabis Sacrament Minister

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Personally I like it as strong as I can get it too.
The flame in the chilli oil tends to discorage large doses. Wink
Thanks for the edit by the way, you ever write speeches?

Check this site out!
Rev. Brett M. Schuler (PrayerWarrior)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Urbanhog

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrayerWarrior wrote:
Thanks, Personally I like it as strong as I can get it too.
The flame in the chilli oil tends to discorage large doses. Wink
Thanks for the edit by the way, you ever write speeches?

Nah, I have never written speeches why you ask that? Smile

I find sometimes hot curries, where I put lots of chilli sometimes it makes the THC effects come on faster for some reasons because I believe the theory is when you make canna-curries or whatever, the chilli actually increase the blood flow hence the faster come on effects.

But everyone's bodies is different.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime."
--Mark Twain, The Innocents Abroad (1869)
Irreversible

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very useful FAQ, its proof that there's some kinda divine power when 2 people can make cannabutter exactly the same way and never meet, the wisdom of the sages lives on..

Peace, health and good food!

Rev. Ben

Idea i have an old pillowcase i use to strain my cannabutter of all solids, use special washing up gloves.. i know its abit overkill but i make probally 2-3 batches a month and you can notice it in the taste
PrayerWarrior

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can speak very well. Sometimes it helps to have someone lay out the speach. Wink

Check this site out!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PrayerWarrior

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrayerWarrior wrote:
I can speak very well. Sometimes it helps to have someone lay out the speach. Wink

I don't usually cook with the oils I make. I usually either drizzle as a sauce/garnish, or, make vinegrette for salad. Sometimes I just like to eat a tablespoon or so and say MMMmmm... Cool

Check this site out!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Talk about yum! M MMM Good! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: