THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index
AustraliaBasqueBulgariaCanadaChinaEgyptFranceGreeceIcelandIndiaIndonesiaIrelandJamaicaJapanJordanLatviaMexicoNetherlandsNew Zealand
NorwaySpainPakistanLebanonPeruPolandPeurto RicoRomaniaRussiaSingaporeSouth AfricaSudanSwedenThailandTurkeyUnited KingdomUSAUzbekistan
UK anti cannabis m.p

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> The 'War on Drugs'
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sibannac
Cannabis Sacrament Minister

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: UK anti cannabis m.p Reply with quote

Heres a news story from the uk we have our fair share of uneducated prohibitionist's (idiots).
Hi

The Scotsman

Saturday, 3 July 2004

ALISON HARDIE POLITICAL CORRESPONDENT

THE government’s softly-softly approach to cannabis will leave young people facing a mental-health time-bomb, a senior Scottish Labour MP warned last night.

Bill Tynan, normally a loyal back-bencher, turned on ministers who have failed to heed his cautions that downgrading cannabis from Class B to Class C will produce a generation of drug abusers.

He said their decision meant that cannabis was now ranked by teenagers alongside cigarettes and alcohol - and many believed it was no longer illegal.

Mr Tynan said: "Without doubt reclassification has sent mixed messages about the dangers of cannabis, and despite information to the contrary, many young people believe that cannabis is now legal, just like cigarettes and alcohol.

"But research has shown cannabis smoke to be more dangerous than tobacco smoke. There is also large and growing evidence that cannabis is a major contributory factor in the onset of mental-health problems ranging from depression to schizophrenia."

Mr Tynan went on: "I believe that the reclassification of cannabis was a dangerous mistake, and that history will confirm that view."

Mr Tynan was elected MP for Hamilton South in 1999, shortly after Strathclyde’s 100th drug death for the year was reported in his constituency.

He told The Scotsman yesterday: "The girl who died was the same age as my daughter; it affected me enormously. So I was outraged when the government gave MPs just 90 minutes to debate reclassification of cannabis, it wasn’t nearly enough time to explore all the issues. I am not going to let this go because I firmly believe ministers have made a major mistake that will have serious ramifications for the future."

Mr Tynan, who has voted against the government only three times in his five-year parliamentary career, secured a prestigious debate on cannabis in Westminster Hall this week.

He told MPs he had been contacted by many drugs experts from universities, hospitals and the legal profession who were appalled at the decision legally to downgrade cannabis.

Professor Griffith Edwards, who established the National Addiction Centre at the Maudsley Hospital, said: "There is enough evidence now to make one seriously worried about the possibility of cannabis producing long-term impairment of brain function."

Mr Tynan said he was calling on the government to reopen the debate and look again at the scientific evidence against downgrading the status of cannabis.

He said: "I am not convinced the government will reverse their mistaken decision to reclassify cannabis, but they should look at all the evidence."

Caroline Flint, the Home Office minister, said the new status of cannabis was giving police more scope to tackle hard drugs.

She said, however, that the situation was under constant monitoring.

The only mistake is they shouldn't have downgraded cannabis they should have legalised it!!

mediw banana
Echo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Tynan wrote:
"The girl who died was the same age as my daughter; it affected me enormously. So I was outraged when the government gave MPs just 90 minutes to debate reclassification of cannabis, it wasn’t nearly enough time to explore all the issues. I am not going to let this go because I firmly believe ministers have made a major mistake that will have serious ramifications for the future."

Thanks for the post Sibannac!
A girl died, he said, can we know more? The sentence is put in such a way that people may think she died of cannabis? What is Mr Tynan refering to?

Echo
'You, your joys and your sorrows, your memories and your ambitions, your sense of personal identity and free will, are in fact no more than the behaviour of a vast assembly of nerve cells and their associated molecules,' Francis Crick (1916~2004)

Kent THC Ministry
sibannac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In answer to your question echo i suspect he is one of those that believe cannabis is a gateway drug and gives you no choice but to become addicted to dangerous substances such as heroin or crack. There seems to be a growing lobby of people that will find any excuse to trace all the worlds ills back to cannabis use. Although i feel the deepest sadness someone has died. But in all honesty who DOESN'T KNOW that heroin and crack KILL we are after all probably the best informed of any generation that has ever lived.
This is of course only my opinion but i have been using cannabis for over 20 yrs and have NEVER even seen heroin or crack, because i know its addictive and kills so i have NEVER asked to try it or in fact been offered it.
banana mediw
Echo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Tyran looks to me a very confused man. And the sentence mentioned above is misplaced. And yes, I too think hard drugs are bad and have no relation with our sacred plant. He is the one spreading confusion.

Echo

'You, your joys and your sorrows, your memories and your ambitions, your sense of personal identity and free will, are in fact no more than the behaviour of a vast assembly of nerve cells and their associated molecules,' Francis Crick (1916~2004)

Kent THC Ministry
Romadon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> The 'War on Drugs' All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: