THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index
tree of life

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Cannabis, Religion and History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Right Rev. Greg
Cannabis Sacrament Minister

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: tree of life Reply with quote

In the Writings, "[3] It is from this that "trees" are so often mentioned in the Word, and by them are signified the things with men that belong to their minds; and from this it is also that in the first chapters of Genesis: two trees are said to have been placed in the garden of Eden, one called "the tree of life," and the other "the tree of knowledge." "The tree of life" there signifies the good of love to the Lord, and heavenly joy therefrom, which were with those who were then of the church, and who are meant by the "man" and his "wife;" and by "the tree of knowledge" is signified the delight of knowledges apart from any other use than to be accounted learned and to acquire repute for erudition solely for the sake of honor or gain. "The tree of life" also signifies heavenly joy, because the good of love to the Lord, which is specifically signified by that tree, has heavenly joy in it (see in the work on Heaven and Hell, n. 395-414, and in The Doctrine of the New Jerusalem, n. 230-239). Apocalypse Explained 109. www.heavenlydoctrines.org
poko

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea
prntrkmt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These particular trees are from the Congo.

The Garden of Eden myth was originally a Pygmy myth and was introduced to ancient Egypt when the ancient Egyptians started trading with the Pygmies for gold and ivory. The myth (along with belly dancing) was then introduced to the peoples of the Middle East, where variations appeared in many of the religions, most famously with the Hebrews and the Sumerians.

This is the reason that a myth about a lush jungle-like garden appears among desert people -- they got it from jungle dwelling peoples.

Belly dancing was part of the worship of the Pygmy God Bes (in the original, it included both male and female dancers, not just women dancers). The belly dancing was used to tell myths, the most intricate dance being for the Garden of Eden myth.

Somewhere I have a book that includes a summary of the Pygmy original of this myth (the names of the participants are Pygmy names rather than Hebrew names), but unfortunately that book isn't handy (it's in some box in storage). When I find the book, I'll get the names of the trees (both are trees native to the Congo River Valley -- and neither happens to be cannabis, they are actual trees).
excitedearthling
getting into high spirits
getting into high spirits

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all a matter of opinion and interpretation. You can read all you want but, you're only reading another's thoughts. Believe what you want and speak what you feel. The truth is not written and there are no answers. Feel right and wrong, listen to your body, and smile!

D
Brother Adam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sleepy? Is that you? That avatar is familiar to me.

“Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives.”

-James Madison

Police officers acquitted for beating a 64 yr old man recently in New Orleans. In the words of their defense attorney "all he had to do was comply"....and they wouldn't have fractured his face.
mitch forbush

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: what constitutes belief Reply with quote

there are millions of so called belivers that would back down when confronted about there beliefs. I have always felt that if it is rite it is rite, you should not be willing to back down. If you do not feel strongly about something that you say you believe in, then you are fooling no one but yourself. I was told that if you want to be a homeless bum be the best homeless bum and stand up for it. Just because someone reads the bible and feels one way they should allow others to confront there beliefs without getting frustraited, because the only thing that is being confronted is simply there interpertation of what you have read. without different interpertation of the words of the bible there would only be one true religon, and no one would have to defend there beliefs
11 Then God said, "Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds." And it was so. 12 The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good. 13 And there was evening, and there was morning—the third day.
zero

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's cool you believe in something, but trying to push it on the rest of us is uncool.

So now I must ask you to prove your assertions that this theory you are trying to push on us is true.

You can't use the the bible, cause as an athiest, I don't believe it to be scientifically true.

prn made a good point. A scientific point.

As one of the most popular writers on the web, not to toot my own horn, but fuck it, I can write crap and have it be accepted as truth by some people. Prove to me how these other writers, the ones who "wrote" the bible, are any different from me.

"I understand that fear is my friend, but not always. Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
prntrkmt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: what constitutes belief Reply with quote

mitch forbush wrote:
If you do not feel strongly about something that you say you believe in, then you are fooling no one but yourself. I was told that if you want to be a homeless bum be the best homeless bum and stand up for it.

Your uncharitable view of the homeless is also a highly inaccurate view.

Nobody (or almost nobody, to be more accurate) CHOOSES to be homeless.

In the U.S., the vast majority of the homeless are ordinary members of the lower middle class who through no fault of their own have been so overwhelmed by financial crisis that they find themselves temporarily homeless. The typical period of homeless is between one week and two months. The leading cause of temporary homelessness in the U.S. is a medical emergency (usually to a child) leading to inability to pay the rent on time.

In the U.S., those who are long-term homeless are persons with untreated mental illnesses. Governor Ronald Reagan of California started a nation-wide movement to save tax money for the richest of Americans by throwing as many mentally ill people out of state care and into the streets.

Americans don't become homeless because they are "lazy bums" -- they become homeless because it is the official policy of the U.S. to refuse to help those who are in most need of help and those who are unable to help themselves.
prntrkmt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: what constitutes belief Reply with quote

mitch forbush wrote:
Just because someone reads the bible and feels one way they should allow others to confront there beliefs without getting frustraited, because the only thing that is being confronted is simply there interpertation of what you have read. without different interpertation of the words of the bible there would only be one true religon, and no one would have to defend there beliefs

The problem with Pascal's wager and the atheist's dilemna is that Christianity is NOT the only religion that claims to be the only one true religion. The other very large religion making a similar claim is Islam. So do you choose Jesus and end up being cast out by Allah? Or do you choose Allah and end up being cast out by Jesus? Or maybe Charon rejects Jesus and Hel rejects Allah? All these gods and goddesses demanding exclusivity!

The Christian Bible is NOT the only religious text available. The oldest known religious text is the Pyramid texts, followed closely by the first Vedic literature. Major world religions that have their own religious texts include: Asatru, Buddhism, Christianity, Hellenism, Hermeticism, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Kemetic, Mithraism, Shinto, Sumerian, Taoism, Zoarastrianism, etc.

For that matter, you will find that the Christian versions of the "Old Testament" (a highly provocative and antiSemetic term for the Torah) and the Jewish Torah will often deviate substantially, because the Christians had to change key verses to turn them into prophecies as part of the mythology of Jesus.

It isn't a matter of different "interpretations" -- it is a matter of entirely different words. Do you pick the "one true" Christian wording or do you pick the original Jewish wording?

I do think that if you study religious texts that you will that the variety and complexity is much greater than you believe it is.
Nachtschattenreich

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zero -

Quote:
As one of the most popular writers on the web, not to toot my own horn, but fuck it, I can write crap and have it be accepted as truth by some people.

If the core group of your audience is made up of illiterates, that is people who do not know how to use the web for factchecking, then your popularity may be a giant on clay feet.
zero

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nachtschattenreich wrote:
zero -

Quote:
As one of the most popular writers on the web, not to toot my own horn, but fuck it, I can write crap and have it be accepted as truth by some people.

If the core group of your audience is made up of illiterates, that is people who do not know how to use the web for factchecking, then your popularity may be a giant on clay feet.

Let's say the core group of my audience is made up of illiterates. Would that not make me a stronger writer for encouraging an entire group who would not otherwise to read? I think it is better to reach people that are harder for a writer to reach than someone who reads all the time.

In the end, it is not the popularity that matters, but what you have to say.

Your kind of right though. It could all end tommorow. If it did though, I wouldnt regret anything.

"I understand that fear is my friend, but not always. Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
Nachtschattenreich

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe illiterate is the wrong term, I was referring to the situation that in this internet age, individuals who depend on television and papers, and do not know how to use a search engine or to pursue an online discussion, are just as behind as these who depended on rumours and word of mouth in the pre-internet days (and still do in some parts of the realworld).

The point is that reaching those people can be a good thing, but depending on them is not. I like to have a core audience who do not hesitate to tell me when I get something wrong, errors just happen once in a while.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Cannabis, Religion and History All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: