THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index
AustraliaBasqueBulgariaCanadaChinaEgyptFranceGreeceIcelandIndiaIndonesiaIrelandJamaicaJapanJordanLatviaMexicoNetherlandsNew Zealand
NorwaySpainPakistanLebanonPeruPolandPeurto RicoRomaniaRussiaSingaporeSouth AfricaSudanSwedenThailandTurkeyUnited KingdomUSAUzbekistan
Transcript of Todays Montell show on medical cannabis.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Cannabis news
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lilli
Cannabis Sacrament Minister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Transcript of Todays Montell show on medical cannabis. Reply with quote

Quote:
Transcript: Montel Williams on Medical Marijuana
Posted by CN Staff on September 20, 2004 at 20:35:40 PT
Partial Transcript: Anderson Cooper 360 Degrees
Source: CNN

COOPER: Coming up next on 360, Montel Williams fighting MS and fighting for the legalization of medical marijuana. A talk show hosts personal appeal. He joins us live.
(COMMERCIAL)

COOPER: When voters in Oregon go to the polls in November, they'll consider expanding that state's medical marijuana laws. Oregon is one of nine states with such laws, laws that the Bush administration adamantly opposes.

Syndicated talk show host Montel Williams finds himself on the side of those who support medical use of marijuana. He uses it himself to ease the pain of multiple sclerosis. Tomorrow he's going to devote his entire show to that very personal and controversial topic. Montel Williams joins us now. Good to meet you. Thanks for being here.

MONTEL WILLIAMS, TALK SHOW HOST: Thanks so much for having me.

COOPER: You were diagnosed with MS in 1999. When did you start using marijuana?

WILLIAMS: You know, I, probably like a lot of people who are in my age group, used marijuana when I was younger. I kind of dabbled in it a little from time to time, didn't really even bother with it that much. As soon as I got diagnosed one of the things I found out on the Internet and I found out from other friends who knew other people who had MS in the same way that I have it--I have extreme neuralgic pain from my knees through my feet.

COOPER: What does that mean, neuralgic pain? What is the pain like?

WILLIAMS: It's hard to kind of equate but it would be if I liken it to you striking your crazy bone and multiply that by about 100 or 150.

COOPER: And that's all the time?

WILLIAMS: That's 24 hours a day. Sometimes I can bring it down when I'm in the middle what have is considered an episode or a bout it's at 10 which is excruciating enough that I think I wrote a book which is called "Climb Me Higher" and in that book I talked about the fact I wanted to take my life. That's how much it hurts. And I know other people are in just as much pain. So what I did was, after finding out how medicinal marijuana works, I started utilizing it every day because there's a saturation point you want your body to be at.

COOPER: And you tried other painkillers. OxyContin...

WILLIAMS: I have prescriptions for, right now, OxyContin, Percocet, Ultracet, Vicodin, Talwin, I've been down to--been through morphine pills. I've been down that path.

COOPER: What does marijuana do that-marijuana's not as strong as morphine. What does it do that the others don't?

WILLIAMS: There has been test after test, tests enough that the United States government understands this--I don't know if you know this, Anderson, or not. But do you know for the last 25 years our government has been distributing marijuana to 20--originally it was 12 different pharmacies across the country. Five of the patients died. Now seven. Every single month they deliver canisters of marijuana to seven people, grown at the University of Mississippi, studied for 25 years, we understand its efficacy. What does it do? For people like me it helps ease that pain, it helps me get up in the morning, go to work and be a taxpayer.

COOPER: Let me sort of tell what you the nation's drugs czar, Director John Walters told us. Let me put this on the screen. He says, "Research has demonstrated that smoked marijuana is helpful as medicine. We are currently funding research to determine if there are components of cannabis that may be used as medicine. A component in marijuana, THC, has already been approved in pill form by the FDA. It's called Marinol and doctors are able to prescribe this drug or any other drug that proves safe and efficacious if they feel it would best serve their patients' needs."

Can I ask why not use Marinol?

WILLIAMS: Let's go back. The same person that just said that didn't say to you that he himself makes sure that every single month seven patients get a can of 50 marijuana cigarettes to utilize because we understand just like Vicodin, Talwin, other drugs don't work for everybody. Marinol doesn't work for everybody. It's a synthetic form of THC that doesn't work. The majority of people who have tried to take it don't use it because of the way it affects them. So, truthfully, if you go to a natural product--that's what we're looking for. If he claims that it doesn't work, why is it the federal government distributing it itself and has been distributing it itself. It has been for 25 years and been studying it 25 years and is giving it out every month.

COOPER You're leading the fight for this. Do you find it a tough battle because it's sort of linked with the notion of legalizing drugs altogether?

WILLIAMS: Yes. It is a tough battle that way.

COOPER: And it's very different. You're talking about medical marijuana. You're not talking about legalizing drugs.

WILLIAMS: Changing it from Schedule I to Schedule II. If I have a doctor who can prescribe for me OxyContin, morphine, morphine drip, and let me drool in the corner and not be able to go to work and pay my taxes and that same doctor says, no, you know what, I think medicinal marijuana works for this patient. If we think he's smart enough to make me drool, is he not smart enough to make me better? And, if in fact our own government has been distributing it for 25 years and researching at the University of Mississippi for 25 years, I hold a can tomorrow on the show of what they shipped last month to a person. If our drug laws claim it doesn't work, why is our government trying to poison people? It's not, because they know it works. So, therefore, that's why they do it. Stop the madness, stop the stupidity. If they can give it to seven people, they can give it to other people who need it. COOPER: And you're going to be talking about this on your show tomorrow?

WILLIAMS: Most definitely. For a full hour.

COOPER: Montel, thanks. Nice meeting you.

WILLIAMS: Thank you so much.

COOPER: Good luck to you.

WILLIAMS: Thank you.

Snipped:

Complete Transcripts: http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0409/20/acd.00.html

Source: CNN (US Web)
Show: Anderson Cooper 360 Degrees
Show Date: September 20, 2004
Copyright: 2004 Cable News Network, Inc.
DL: http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/anderson.cooper.360/

Related Articles & Web Site:

Montel Williams
http://www.montelshow.com/

Marijuana: Illegal Drug or Medical Treatment
http://cannabisnews.com/news/thread19506.shtml

Montel Williams Tosses Gov Pot Potato
http://cannabisnews.com/news/thread19504.shtml

Montel Williams Pushes Pot -- for Medical Relief
http://cannabisnews.com/news/thread18797.shtml

http://cannabisnews.com/news/thread18288.shtml

" I pass to you the torch that Christ once passed to me,others are still in the dark an need the light to see"
TSRev.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ty 4 posting this, Lilli. I do not ever watch Montell. (I do know who he is)

I am sorry he has that pain and disease, but glad he has found that medical cannabis works. Very glad he is showing the duplicity/reefer madness to the public and telling the truth.

I found the same as Montell- the expensive/addicting/tolerance building RX pills do not work long term. Cannabis can kill my pain and still allow me to think and feel well enough to work and live.

At least enough people are recognising this in some states-- with medical mj laws.

The world does NOT need another pill that is expensive and controlled by greedy corporations.
Romadon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The world does NOT need another pill that is expensive and controlled by greedy corporations.

Truer words were never spoken.

Terrapin Hollow Conservatory
Mystic Power
admin THC-Ministry YahooGroup
admin THC-Ministry YahooGroup

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello fellow Cannabists....This just in from Richard Lake of the Florida
Drug Policy Foundation: Todays Montel show on Medical Marijuana is now online!
---------------------------

Here's the realvideo:

http://drugpolicycentral.com/real/csa/montel.rm

Quote:
From the talk on the discussion lists, it may well be the best show on the
subject in the last few years. I don't know yet, as I am sending this as I
am watching the show.

Thanks to Matt Elrod and DrugSense for making it available so quickly.

------------------------------------------------

Well I watched it, and it IS the best show on the topic that I've seen.
Montel was exhorting the crowd and was as worked up as a Southern Baptist
Preacher in the heat of July...but IN FAVOR of our favorite Sacred Herb.
Audience members were crying and applauding.

Enjoy the video,
Ben Power
Rev. Rodger L. Poole

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent post, and excellent show! I caught the last minute of it on t.v. the day it was on, or i wouldnt have even known there was a show on this at all! Somebody up there likes me!

I loved it when he announced to the press " i am breaking the law, and i will continue to break the law",.....Go Montel! banana

Rodger
Romadon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the Montel video and that was fantastic. Thanks Ben for sharing. Can anyone tell me, is there a transcript of the show available anywhere yet, or will there be?

Rev. Rodger L. Poole

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought thats what Sister Lilli posted up top? That link is to the transcript for the show.

http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0409/20/acd.00.html you have to scroll down the page a little.

Rodger
Romadon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rev. Poole but I meant Tuesday's Montel Show where Angel Raich was one of the guests.

I suppose one would have to go to Paramount Pictures to obtain the transcript as they seem to own the show.

I believe the way Sister Lilli (bless her heart) named this thread it is a little misleading.

Last edited by Romadon on Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lilli

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Posted by CN Staff on September 20, 2004 at 20:35:40 PT
Partial Transcript: Anderson Cooper 360 Degrees
Source: CNN

Sorry about that. I read that part and looked at the date and assumed that was it guys and posted and went on to other things not realizing.. It says its a partial transcript so maybe its some we didnt see.

Im so glad you linked the show. Hallelujah.
" I pass to you the torch that Christ once passed to me,others are still in the dark an need the light to see"
Romadon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys is gonna have me Confused before much longer if I'm not already. Laughing Where the Hell is Ben? He could straighten this out easily enough, I hope Laughing. I believe we are speaking of 2 seperate shows here. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Cannabis news All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: