THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index
Thomas Jefferson's Bible

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Cannabis, Religion and History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
payitforward
Cannabis Sacrament Minister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Thomas Jefferson's Bible Reply with quote

Hello All,
Been a bit since I've had the opportunity to be online. Internet seems to be an early casualty of low funds Cool

I happened to click on an interesting article:
http://www.mindfully.org/Reform/2005/Jesus-Without-Miracles1dec05.htm
Jesus Without The Miracles
Thomas Jefferson's Bible and the Gospel of Thomas
ERIK REECE / Harper's Magazine v.311, n.1867 1dec2005

I read it, enjoyed it and came away with good thoughts even though it's about christianity. Good thoughts and christianity in the same sentence is a rarity in my world.

payitforward
Ferre
Cannabis Sacrament Minister.
Cannabis Sacrament Minister.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back payitforward Smile

Thomas Jefferson and the bible in the same sentence is a rarity for him too I guess. Laughing

He considered much of the new testament of the Bible to be lies. He described these as "so much untruth, charlatanism and imposture". He described the "roguery of others of His disciples", and called them a "band of dupes and impostors" describing Paul as the "first corruptor of the doctrines of Jesus", and wrote of "palpable interpolations and falsifications". He also decribed the Book of Revelation to be "merely the ravings of a maniac, no more worthy nor capable of explanation than the incoherences of our own nightly dreams".
In his 1787 Notes on the State of Virginia, Jefferson stated: "Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burned, tortured, fined and imprisoned. What has been the effect of this coercion? To make half the world fools and half hypocrites; to support roguery and error all over the world..."

I hereby declare Peace on war!
█ Please read the Board Rules and Posting, and you
Radio Free Amsterdam
People who know truth, speak truth.
Those who don't, quote scriptures.
payitforward

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:56 am    Post subject: Jefferson´s Bible Reply with quote

Jefferson went to great efforts to make sure that there was a wall between church and the state. There were plenty of folks that wanted to make it a christian nation. I´ve always admired him for that effort.

Unfortunately the wall he helped provide has been whittled away a piece at a time. Watching the progress of the political process here in the states shows how much of the wall is now gone.

payitforward
Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Cannabis, Religion and History All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: