THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index
The Counterculture Colonel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> The 'War on Drugs'
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DdC
Cannabis Sacrament Minister
Cannabis Sacrament Minister

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:46 am    Post subject: The Counterculture Colonel Reply with quote

The Counterculture Colonel By Martin A. Lee
CN Source: North Bay Bohemian July 10, 2008 USA

Dr. James S. Ketchum, a retired U.S. Army colonel, was into weapons of mass elation, not weapons of mass destruction. He oversaw a secret research program that tested an array of mind-bending drugs on American GIs, including an exceptionally potent form of synthetic marijuana. (Most of these drugs had no medical names, just numbers supplied by the Army.) "Paradoxical as it may seem," Ketchum asserted, "one can use chemical weapons to spare lives, rather than extinguish them."

Dr. Alexander ("Sasha") Shulgin, a critic of chemical mind-meddling by the military, was wary when he first met Ketchum at a 1993 event honoring the 50th anniversary of the discovery of LSD. But Ketchum is not your typical military bulldozer type. An intelligent, gracious man with a disarming sense of humor, in his own way Ketchum has always been a free spirit. He and his wife, Judy, who currently reside in Santa Rosa, became close friends with Sasha and his formidable partner, Ann. They stayed in frequent contact and occasionally socialized together. When the Shulgins invited them to Burning Man, the Ketchums joined the caravan of RVs driving to the desert.

Army Drug Experiments

Cover-Ups, Prevarications, Subversions & Sabotage

Bushit Rumcheney Cocktail

Many Veterans are the Enemy of the Bush D.E.A.th War

Souder Fungus Déjà Vu!

Sonoma County writer Martin A. Lee is the author of 'Acid Dreams: The Complete Social History of the LSD—The CIA, the Sixties, and Beyond.' He is writing a social history of marijuana.
Send a letter to the editor about this story. -
bohemian.com

MAPS

"I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the Customs Agent. I am the Coast guard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable"
Alexander Shulgin, PhD, Chemist and author,
at the DPF Conference, November 1996

Cannabis Culture Archives: Sacrament

THE NECTAR OF DELIGHT

The Indian vadas sang of Cannabis as one of the divine nectars, able to give man anything from good health and long life to visions of the gods. The Zend-Avesta of 600 B.C. mentions an intoxicating resin, and the Assyrians used Cannabis as an incense as early as the ninth century B.C..

Knowledge and use of the intoxicating properties eventually spread to Asia Minor. Hemp was employed as an incense in Assyria in the first millennium B.C., suggesting its use as an inebriant.

Folklore maintians that the use of Hemp was introduced to Persia during the reign of Khursu (A.D. 531-579), but it is known that the Assyrians used Hemp as an incense during the first millennium B.C.

Emerging from The Drug War Dark Age
LSD and Other Psychedelic Medicines Make a Comeback
By Charles Shaw AlterNet July 11, 2008

After a 40-year moratorium, credible research for treating illnesses and addictions with psychedelic compounds has made a miraculous comeback.

Dearth of the Cool
As countercultural bohemia becomes more mainstream, what is hip? Several books examine the constructs of cool while one essayist begs us all to just give it up.

Thank God for Hippies

Abbie List

Dr. Timothy Leary, Ph.D.
"Put it into historical context. The use of sacramental vegetables has gone back, back, back in history to shamans and the Hindu religion and Buddhist religion. They were using soma. It's an ancient human ritual that has usually been practiced in the context of religion or of worship or of tribal coming together. I didn't pioneer anything. The use of psychedelics for spiritual purposes was started in the 50s by Allen Ginsberg and William Burroughs." —Tim Leary

YouTube - Timothy Leary on LSD

Dr. Andrew Weil

"a-motivation [is] a cause of heavy marijuana smoking rather than the reverse"
-- Dr. Andrew Weil (Rubin & Comitas Ganja in Jamaica, 1975)

What No One Wants to Know About Marijuana
From The Natural Mind by Dr. Andrew Weil

Dr. Andrew Weil of the University of Arizona College of Medicine states, "There is not a shred of hope from history or from cross-culture studies to suggest that human beings can live without psychoactive substances." Bees drop to the ground after having nectar from certain orchards. Birds get drunk off berries and then fly into windows. After cats sniff certain plants they swing at imaginary objects. Certain range weeds will make cows shake, twitch, and stumble back for more. Elephants purposely get drunk on fermented fruits..."

Webster's Dictionary 1952

Bhang-(bang). n [Hind.from Sans.. bhanga,hemp]
An Indian variety of the common hemp, the resin of which is highly narcotic and intoxicant, and a popular Oriental stimulant, otherwise called hashish. Also employed in medicine, for its anodyne, hyponotic, and anti-spasmodic qualities; also spelled bang, beng.

Weil Says LSD Cured His Allergy

Andrew Weil on medical uses of Ecstasy, MDMA by Dan Skeen

From Chocolate to Morphine by Dr. Andrew Weil
Everything You Need to Know About Mind-Altering Drugs.

Internationally, "the war on drugs" provides a cover for intervention. Domestically, it has little to do with drugs but a lot to do with distracting the population, increasing repression in the inner cities, and building support for the attack on civil liberties.
-- Noam Chomsky

"The war on (certain) drugs" is What Uncle Sam Really Wants

Stoned scientists

Dr. Andrew Weil
www.drweil.com

Mainstream Medicine's Serene Rebel

The New Face Of Medicine

Hemp TV: Dr. Andrew Weil on drug policy at Harvard's Zinberg...

US: Why I Support Medical Marijuana by Dr. Andrew Weil

Stop The Federal War On Medical Marijuana by Dr. Andrew Weil

No Bad Drugs
The Newservice Interview: Dr. Andrew Weil

Pot Smoker of The Month Dr. Andrew Weil
"I said, in The Natural Mind, that I often have the suspicion that everything that we do in the name of stopping the drug problem is the drug problem. It's not just the laws but the whole mentality that sees drugs as the problem and tries to fight them. By doing that I think we've made it all worse.

Whats the Straight Dope on Pot?
(Published 09/19/1997)

People have a right to get stoned. They have a right to think and explore their own minds. This is as intimate a part of their being as their sexuality. Any culture which mitigates that is clearly afraid of a full and fair and open dialogue about what reality is and what real human values ought to be.
-- Terence McKenna

Audio/Video

A Million Minor Fixes VS Psychedelic Salvation --Terence McKenna

A Tribute to Terence McKenna

Adam and Eve: History's first drug bust -- Terence McKenna

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> The 'War on Drugs' All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: