THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index
AustraliaBasqueBulgariaCanadaChinaEgyptFranceGreeceIcelandIndiaIndonesiaIrelandJamaicaJapanJordanLatviaMexicoNetherlandsNew Zealand
NorwaySpainPakistanLebanonPeruPolandPeurto RicoRomaniaRussiaSingaporeSouth AfricaSudanSwedenThailandTurkeyUnited KingdomUSAUzbekistan
Stonehenge in danger!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> General news topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ferre
Cannabis Sacrament Minister.
Cannabis Sacrament Minister.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 1:14 pm    Post subject: Stonehenge in danger! Reply with quote

This message was send to me by email :

Quote:
Hello friends,

I've just learned that a proposal is being put forth to build a 4-lane highway near Stonehenge. This will greatly damage the area near Stonehenge, and I am asking people, if they can, to write to protest this proposed "Improvement". You can read more about this at the following link: http://www.savestonehenge.org.uk/homepage.html

I am asking others join me and write letters to protest this action. We must protect Stonehenge, not only for ourselves, but for future generations! This link tells you who to contact to send your letter of protest: http://www.savestonehenge.org.uk/actnow.html

I hope that you care enough of this magnificent site to take a few minutes to try to save it. This is one of the great wonders of the world, and it's mystery should be preserved for all. Thank you for taking the time to help.

Blessings to you.

Erik the Viking

Why is it that politicians have so little respect for monuments like this. I hope that road will never be build there. Sad

write them, I did.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jason
Creativity team member
Creativity team member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To bad that the most creative force on this planet is also the most destructive..... Wouldn't be that way if everyone embraced the herb! Laughing
Echo
Cannabis Sacrament Minister

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing the letter with us all. Stonehenge belongs to humanity and posterity. I am sure they'll find another route for their highway. Going to the site NOW.

Echo

Echo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did go to that site, and I complained about this most appalling highway diversion. This is one of the replies I got, the impersonal one, the one they send out to all Sirs and Madams who complain. Let's read together...

Quote:

Temple Quay House
Our ref: XXX/XXX 2 The Square
Your ref: BRISTOL BS1 61-IA

http://www.highways.gov.uk
Direct Line: 0117 372 8048
Fax: 01173728238

Echo Echo
High Way
UK
17 October 2003
Dear Sir/Madam

HIGHWAYS ACT 1980
A303 TRUNK ROAD STONEHENGE IMPROVEMENT
NOTICE OF PUBLIC INQUIRY

I refer to your recent letter in which you set out your objection to the above scheme/draft orders.

The Secretary of State has decided to hold a Public Inquiry to consider objections to the draft scheme and orders, and arrangements are being made for the inquiry to open on 11th February 2004. A formal letter giving details of the inquiry will be sent to you in due course.

I enclose for your information, a copy of the notice of the intention to hold a Public Inquiry and a pre-Inquiry meeting. The pre-Inquiry meeting has been arranged to identify issues to be considered at the Inquiry and to consider general arrangements for the Inquiry. The pre-Inquiry meeting is to be held on 17th November 2003, and details of the pre Inquiry meeting will be published in October 2003.

It would greatly assist the Inquiry if you could advise if you wish to participate in the Inquiry and the pre-Inquiry meeting, by completing the enclosed registration form, and returning it in the enclosed reply paid envelope or by fax as soon as possible. Should you wish to participate in the pre-Inquiry meeting then it will be necessary for you to prepare an outline statement of case of your objection for forwarding to the Independent Inspector one week before the pre-Inquiry meeting.

Enclosed for your information, is the booklet “Public Local Inquiries into Road Proposals”. Should you require further information about the Public Inquiry process please telephone Steve Carpenter, Assistant Project Sponsor at the Highways Agency in Bristol, on 0117 372 8048, on or after 15 September 2003.

Yours sincerely

S Carpenter
Assistant Project Sponsor
Stonehenge Project Team
E-mail: steve.carpenter@highways.gsi.gov.uk

Echo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this is their personal reply to my letter...

Quote:
Our ref:
Your ref: Temple Quay House
2 The Square
BRISTOL BS1 6HA
http://www.highways.gov.uk
Direct Line: 0117 372 8007
Fax: 01173728238

17th October 2003

Dear Echo

A303 STONEHENGE IMPROVEMENT

Thank you for your letter of 20 September 2003, objecting to the draft Orders for this
scheme.

Our response to your points of objection is as follows:

• The A303 Stonehenge Improvement is being promoted as an exceptional environmental scheme’ with the objective of removing existing roads and traffic from the landscape setting of Stonehenge. English Heritage, as custodians of the World Heritage Site and the Stonehenge Management Plan, support the scheme in the belief that it provides the right solution for the Stones.

• The effects on the internationally important Till and Avon rivers would be broadly neutral, with less risk of pollutants entering the rivers than exists today. There would be substantial noise benefits for Stonehenge and the nearby local community of Winterbourne Stoke. These and other environmental effects have all been fully and properly considered and addressed.

• The proposed highway would be a major improvement on the existing one, improving safety and reducing congestion. The scheme itself would not have any material impact on traffic growth beyond that which could be expected to come about in any event. The A303 is a key strategic route to the South West and the scheme is consistent with the Government’s intention to upgrade the route generally to dual carriageway standard as part of an integrated transport package for the South West.

• The scheme is substantially compliant with relevant policies and plans at national, regional and local levels, including the Stonehenge Management Plan.

• A very large number of alternative proposals for the scheme have been assessed and previously published over the past twelve years.

These and many other issues have been fully addressed as part of the environment impact assessment for the scheme, the results of which are summarized in the Non-Technical Summary enclosed herewith for your information. Even so, there will be a public inquiry into the proposals for the scheme at which all the points you have raised will be fully explored. Arrangements are being made for, the inquiry to open 17th on February 2004. Further details are given in the enclosed letter and notice.

Yours sincerely

Chris Jones
Project Director

oldmanmozz
Honourable member
Honourable member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'M OUTRAGED, and pretty pissed to, any way I can help from my side of world. (downunder)

oldman Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> General news topics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: