THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index
So, are all of us just dumb shits?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Questions and faqs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zero
Cannabis Sacrament Minister

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: So, are all of us just dumb shits? Reply with quote

I have seen about six or seven members here with actual grammar. Most of the posts here say...

"i got mah chiurch taken bie the gawd dame goverment. Pleeze help meeeeeee,"

Wake up people. Learn how to use grammar or learn how to have no sympathy from educated people. From now on, I'm calling you all on your grammar. If you can not type an educated sentence, then please stay in the backwoods from whence you came.

Spellcheck, ok, because you are making us all look bad when you don't use it.

SPELLCHECK! IT IS EASY TO USE!

Please tell me you hear me, ministry...

"I understand that fear is my friend, but not always. Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
prntrkmt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: So, are all of us just dumb shits? Reply with quote

zero wrote:
I have seen about six or seven members here with actual grammar. Most of the posts here say...

"i got mah chiurch taken bie the gawd dame goverment. Pleeze help meeeeeee,"

Wake up people. Learn how to use grammar or learn how to have no sympathy from educated people. From now on, I'm calling you all on your grammar. If you can not type an educated sentence, then please stay in the backwoods from whence you came.

Spellcheck, ok, because you are making us all look bad when you don't use it.

SPELLCHECK! IT IS EASY TO USE!

Please tell me you hear me, ministry...

There ain't no doubt that even minor mistakes in spelling, grammar, syntax, or usage can degrade credibility.

But very few Americans are skilled at Standard English. Expectations that most Americans can simply "turn on" the ability to write in Standard English are inevitably going to be unfulfilled.

Further, there are a substantial number of posters for whom English is a foreign language.

I might even point out how effete and pretentious absolutely correct English sounds. That isn't how the common person communicates.

While it is obviously important to use Standard English in press releases and court documents, I think that a much more informal discourse better serves the needs of the membership here.

I think that camaraderie and mutual support are far more valuable here than rantings of the English Nazis.

People under the stress of arrest, possible imprisonment, and other government harassment have a lot more to worry about than whether they have spelled every word in their postings correctly.

I think it better serves our mutual needs to lighten up and focus on the content of the message rather than focusing on the skill (or lack thereof) with which the postings are written.
David
Bard
Bard

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont worry zero i am with you on this one i just think it is the hole lot of this ministry are stupid or somting

i mene man 2wats up with every 1 ear dont they speek the queens lancridge.

at leest i have the xcuse of not having my little finger for the spell ceck button.
Nachtschattenreich

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, making my posts easy to read is a way to show that I try to take my statements, this organisation and its goals serious.

It´s more like preferrring welldone handicraft over crappy stuff, than like wearing a tie to make others feel belittled.

After all, we want to change the world, don´t we?

PS: And I didn´t even succeed to make the Firefox 2.0 internal spellchecker work, I checked the box in the extended settings, but it works for none of the languages in my configuration.
datboyc
regular contributor
regular contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm........ well, language changes over time, and it has been said that "short hand slang" will be the next possible form of change. If you would like to read Shakespere, do so on your own. "Proper English", is what was tought when the constitution was created. That obviously didn't help to make things clear or understandable. At the time everyone most likely knew what was being said. Now we argue over what it ment.

from year to year, I was required to learn the "new" form of correct writing, sentance structure, and word usage, when it came to english. And things are no different in college. Different professors require you to do things their way.

And I appoligise, for not being a great speller. Most of the time, I cannot spell the word I want to use, so I simply use a different word with the same meaning. I could use spell check, or look up the word to see if it is/was spelled correctly, but that takes more time that I don't have. If the word I am having trouble to spell means that much to me, then I will take the time to make sure it is spelled correctly. Unless it has some sort of importance over the sentance, I will spell how I wish to spell.

I believe the term for this is "Poetic Licence"

You may request that people do the "more triditional" thing, and wright in standard script english, but none the less people will do what it is they do. Requireing people to do something will make you no different then the government/laws that you dissagree with. The only thing I believe in forceing someone to do, is to leave others alone. If someone is doing something you don't like, but they are also not afecting anyone else, they are doing nothing wrong.

If someone is forcing you to do something you don't want to do, that is wrong. (ie. the government has us pay taxes. the reason for paying taxes is because they "protect" us and make sure someone is not forcing us to do something. They are not doing their job, so taxes are a laughable idea today.)
prntrkmt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nachtschattenreich wrote:
It´s more like preferrring welldone handicraft over crappy stuff, than like wearing a tie to make others feel belittled.

After all, we want to change the world, don´t we?

How many 'r's is "preferring"?

I do understand (and agree with) the idea that any writing intended for the public (or the courts) should be pristine.

But I view this forum as informal conversation rather than formal speech. The rules for informal conversation are different specifically to allow for freedom of expression among friends.

I think that the primary purpose of these forums is to provide a membership scattered throughout the world with the ability to come together and share and support and assist each other.

I think that paying too much attention to Standard English would inhibit that sharing and support.

That's not to put down the importance of Standard English in its place, but I don't think this is the place.
aeroplane

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depressed again, brother Z or did you confuse this site with a literary forum? Laughing

US President Jimmy Carter
Nachtschattenreich

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

prntrkmt - Ha! You got me. Typos just happen, but I´m working on it.

Actually, this one is a good example for something which happens to me again and again: I know what should be standing there and how it is written correctly, so my eyes just do not see my typos when I´m proofreading something I´ve just written.
prntrkmt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nachtschattenreich wrote:
prntrkmt - Ha! You got me. Typos just happen, but I´m working on it.

Actually, this one is a good example for something which happens to me again and again: I know what should be standing there and how it is written correctly, so my eyes just do not see my typos when I´m proofreading something I´ve just written.

I was a working journalist for eight years, starting out as a photo-journalist and working my way up through various editor positions, with my last journalism job being in charge of 27 weekly newspapers.

The first news editor I worked for had a policy that as soon as he reached a third mistake in an article, he would write "rewrite" in big red letters at the top and return it.

I fully understand the idea of trying for perfection in journalism.

But this is NOT a newspaper. This is a cooperative forum. And very few of the participants are trained writers.

Therefore it makes sense to me to allow for the common mistakes of everyday conversational English and instead focus on the subject matter rather than the expression of the subject matter.
zero

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aeroplane wrote:
Depressed again, brother Z or did you confuse this site with a literary forum? Laughing

Not so much depressed as I was just shit drunk when I posted that.

"I understand that fear is my friend, but not always. Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
aeroplane

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shit drunk will make ya depressed, that's why I stopped at the beginning of this year. Drinking made me depressed and while depressed I drank more. It was an evil downward spiral. Evil or Very Mad

Nachtschattenreich

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

prntrkmt -

Quote:
But this is NOT a newspaper. This is a cooperative forum.

This is one of the highest places of the internet, if not the highest one already. Certainly higher than the newspaper sphere.

If you ask me, I think he who makes no mistakes should throw the first stone, but then again a mistake is a mistake and not an alternative.
Brother Adam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Nachtschattenreich"]prntrkmt -

Quote:

If you ask me, I think he who makes no mistakes should throw the first stone

I'll second that. Nobody is perfect. Let our perfection be in the treatment of others and our sincerity towards cannabis sacrament. Spelling matters not.

“Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives.”

-James Madison

Police officers acquitted for beating a 64 yr old man recently in New Orleans. In the words of their defense attorney "all he had to do was comply"....and they wouldn't have fractured his face.
Rev. Steven Wilson
Shaman
Shaman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s to bad intelligence is seldom accompanied by wisdom and tolerance. What about the poor soul that has an IQ of 95 or something close to it? What about the uneducated. Yes there are still people in the good ol USA that don’t make it through 6th grade. When it comes down to it, I would rather spend my time with a kind uneducated person rather than an intelligent asshole.
Once a man sees his immortality, there is no turning back. He is on the Quest of Knowledge whether he knows it or wants it. He can fight against it and live a turbulent life. Or follow it and find inner peace.

Peace and flowers
Rev. Steven Wilson
(Shaman Quester)
aeroplane

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuesterTheJester wrote:
It’s to bad intelligence is seldom accompanied by wisdom and tolerance. What about the poor soul that has an IQ of 95 or something close to it? What about the uneducated. Yes there are still people in the good ol USA that don’t make it through 6th grade. When it comes down to it, I would rather spend my time with a kind uneducated person rather than an intelligent asshole.

I agree with ya Q... unless you're refering to our current US president. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Questions and faqs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: