THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index
AustraliaBasqueBulgariaCanadaChinaEgyptFranceGreeceIcelandIndiaIndonesiaIrelandJamaicaJapanJordanLatviaMexicoNetherlandsNew Zealand
NorwaySpainPakistanLebanonPeruPolandPeurto RicoRomaniaRussiaSingaporeSouth AfricaSudanSwedenThailandTurkeyUnited KingdomUSAUzbekistan
Save Amina
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> General news topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is a human life worth 5 minutes of your time?
Yes
100%
 100%  [ 29 ]
I am busy right now
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 29

Echo
Cannabis Sacrament Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologise 4liberty... I forgot to tell you that United States in Spanish translates "Estados Unidos" Sad My God forgot to supply me with carefulness. I apologise.

And to you all who signed, thank you for coming here. I have forwarded the link to all people in my mailing list. You could do the same.

Here in England single mothers receive help, a council house, a monthly check and lots of sympathy. In other countries that's not always the case. I heartly hope that our little action will help to save a life. I'll keep you updated on Amina's fate.

Let's all pray for her.

Echo

Cherylkarma
High and aware
High and aware

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: Signing was easy Reply with quote

I am outraged, mostly because signing the petition was the best I could do, I feel so useless, hands tied, if there is ANYTHING else I can do dont hesitate to let me know.

PEACE & PRAYERS.

Cheryl
4liberty
getting into high spirits

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOP's Laughing thanks for the translation it makes sense once pointed out...
oldmanone

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:37 am    Post subject: done and peeved Reply with quote

Mad Do they think no one from the U.S. would want to help, geeeesh were not all war mongerers, Twisted Evil sorry just feeling left out. Crying or Very sad
Mermaid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I hope they can read what I wrote, I said that in the USA the women kill their babies with abortion, so Amina is a good woman because she gave her baby life and her baby deserves to have her mother, so do not kill Amina. You know where it says where you are from, just keep typing, type whole sentences. It seems to take whatever you type in. I gave my web page. I suppose they'll send the woman and the baby to live with me. Mermaid.
Echo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marmaid, that is a very generous offer of yours! I would love to be in the position to offer the same, but my circumstances won't let me. If you are serious about it you could write to the Nigerian embasy in your country and offer your help. I truly hope your words will be listened to.

Upmost Respect,

Echo

Cannabis
High and aware
High and aware

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done......Its the least i could do......
Jason
Creativity team member
Creativity team member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if and or when we will know if Anima will be okay?
Ferre
Cannabis Sacrament Minister.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last update from Amnesty International

Amnesty International wrote:
AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL

Public Statement

AI Index: AFR 44/026/2003 (Public)
News Service No: 189
12 August 2003

Nigeria: Amina Lawal's appeal case to be heard on 27 August

After several adjournments, the hearing of Amina Lawal's
appeal is due to take place on 27 August 2003 in her home
state of Katsina, northern Nigeria. Amina Lawal and her
lawyers are expected to be present at the hearing. The
judicial process should follow its course if the quorum of
judges is met this time.

Amnesty International continues to receive queries falsely
claiming that Amina Lawal's execution is imminent - before
or on 27 August - and referring to Amnesty International as
a source.

No execution of the sentence is due before or on that date.

Amnesty International understands that Amina Lawal's right
to legal representation and her right to appeal are
guaranteed at this stage. She is not in detention and has
good legal representation. She is also being supported by a
coalition of Nigerian women's groups and human rights
groups. Amnesty International is in close touch with these organizations.

"Unfortunately, this case has now been adjourned so many
times that many of those who have campaigned for her
sentence to be quashed cannot understand why a woman and her
child can be put under so much duress. This is becoming a
clear case of justice delayed is justice denied," Amnesty
International said.

Background
Amina Lawal -- a Muslim woman -- was found guilty by a court
in March 2002 after bearing a child outside marriage. Under
"Sharia Penal Legislations" now in force in several northern
Nigerian states, this was sufficient for her to be convicted
of the crime of adultery and summoned to appear before a
Sharia tribunal to respond to a "crime" which now carries a
punishment of death by stoning according to new "Sharia
penal legislations" introduced in Nigeria in 1999.

Public Document
For more information please call Amnesty International's
press office in
London, UK, on +44 20 7413 5566
Amnesty International, 1 Easton St., London WC1X 0DW. web:
http://www.amnesty.org

For latest human rights news view http://news.amnesty.org

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cherylkarma
High and aware
High and aware

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:38 am    Post subject: An update for those who dont already know!! Reply with quote

Update 28th August 2003
Nigeria: Death by stoning decision adjourned to 25 September
The appeal case of Nigerian woman, Amina Lawal, sentenced to death by stoning for having a child out of wedlock, has been adjourned until 25 September.

After a day hearing submissions from the defence and prosecution in Katsina state, northern Nigeria, the five judges announced that their judgement would be reserved.

In March 2002 an Islamic law or Sharia court sentenced Amina to be buried up to her neck in sand and stoned to death after she gave birth to a baby daughter, Wasila, two years after she and her husband divorced.

The alleged father of the baby was acquitted after denying responsibility.

Amina lost her first appeal against the conviction in August last year.

Amnesty International spokesperson, Merryn Smith, said the continued delays in the case added to the suffering of Amina and her baby.

"Unfortunately, the continued adjournments in the case have added to the ordeal of Amina and her daughter who have not been able so far to lead a normal life," Ms Smith said.

Amina has a right of appeal to the Supreme Court, should her current case be unsuccessful.

Where there is hope!!
Take care & PEACE
Cheryl
Jason
Creativity team member
Creativity team member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's over Amina lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/africa/09/25/nigeria.stoning/index.html
KATSINA, Nigeria (CNN) -- An appeals court has freed a Nigerian mother sentenced to death by stoning for adultery.

The Shariah Court of Appeal ruled on Thursday that Amina Lawal's conviction was invalid because she was already pregnant when harsh Islamic Shariah law was implemented in her home province.

After the hearing, she told CNN, "I am happy. God is great and he has made this possible. All I want is to go home, get married and live a normal life."

The 31-year-old, who was in court with her baby, Wassila, has been appealing the death sentence for two years.

"It is the view of this court that the judgment of the Upper Shariah Court, Funtua, was very wrong and the appeal of Amina Lawal is hereby discharged and acquitted," judge Ibrahim Maiangwa said.

Shariah law, based on the teachings in the Quran, Islam's holy book, is practiced in 12 of Nigeria's 36 states.

Lawal's case had become the focus of human rights groups around the world who were outraged at the sentence that Lawal should be buried up to her neck and then have stones thrown at her head until she was dead.

Lawal's lawyer, Hauwa Ibrahim, said: "This a great victory for justice. The law of justice has prevailed over the law of man. Amina is free to go, to do what she wants."

But not all the spectators who attended the hearing were pleased by the result. One man who had come to hear to court's ruling said: "I would have preferred Amina to be stoned to death. She deserves it."

Had the court not overturned the verdict, Lawal would still have had two appeals left, one to a Nigerian federal court and a final appeal to Nigeria's Supreme Court. Neither of those courts is governed by Shariah law.

Nigerian President Olusegun Obasanjo had said if Lawal's case reached the Supreme Court, he would make sure it was overturned.

Lawal was convicted and sentenced in March 2002 after giving birth to a baby girl more than nine months after divorcing. Under the strict Shariah law, pregnancy outside marriage constitutes sufficient evidence for a woman to be convicted of adultery.

A court stayed her execution for two years to allow her to care for her baby.

"This is all I have to live for right now," Lawal said before the hearing. "My child means everything to me."

Lawal lives with her father, his two wives and their numerous children in the tiny village of Kurami, deep in Nigeria's Islamic north. The village is so small that it does not appear on a map.

She insists she did nothing wrong and that the man who fathered her child made a promise to marry her. He did not, leaving her pregnant and with no support.

The man said he was not the father, and three male witnesses testified he did not have a sexual relationship with Lawal. The witnesses constituted adequate corroboration of his story under Shariah law, and he was freed.

Lawal is the second woman to be sentenced to death after bearing a child out of marriage since 2000, when more than a dozen states in the predominantly Islamic northern Nigeria adopted strict Islamic Shariah law.

In March 2002, an appeals court reversed a similar sentence on Safiya Hussaini Tungar-Tudu after worldwide pleas for clemency and a warning from Obasanjo that Nigeria faced international isolation over the case.

The adoption of Shariah, which includes amputation as a possible punishment for convicted thieves, has stoked violence between Muslims and Christians in Africa's most populous state. More than 3,000 people have been killed.
Echo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for celebration! A nightmare is over, I am so very happy!!!
Thank you Jason!

Very Happy Laughing Cool Wink banana weldone sun bigok bounce rasta

And to the sad soul who said: "I would have preferred Amina to be stoned to death. She deserves it."
mvinger

Take care all, life is beautiful Very Happy

Echo

Ferre

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:22 pm    Post subject: very good news!! Reply with quote

WOOHOO!! Hopefully this kind of thing will belong to the past now.(I wish)
party hullamod

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cherylkarma
High and aware
High and aware

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:56 am    Post subject: Im Delighted Reply with quote

Im am so very happy justice has prevailed, but I have to wonder if she had gotten pregnant after the law came in, what would be the verdict then?

Obviously there is STILL alot of work to do!!

take care & PEACE
Cheryl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> General news topics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: