THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index
AustraliaBasqueBulgariaCanadaChinaEgyptFranceGreeceIcelandIndiaIndonesiaIrelandJamaicaJapanJordanLatviaMexicoNetherlandsNew Zealand
NorwaySpainPakistanLebanonPeruPolandPeurto RicoRomaniaRussiaSingaporeSouth AfricaSudanSwedenThailandTurkeyUnited KingdomUSAUzbekistan
Saddam is caputured

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Issues of war and peace
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lilli
Cannabis Sacrament Minister

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: Saddam is caputured Reply with quote

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/iraq_saddam

Saddam Hussein Captured in Iraq Hideout
19 minutes ago

By HAMZA HENDAWI, Associated Press Writer

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Without firing a shot, American forces captured a bearded and haggard-looking Saddam Hussein (news - web sites) in an underground hide-out on a farm near his hometown of Tikrit, ending one of the most intensive manhunts in history. The arrest was a huge victory for U.S. forces battling an insurgency by the ousted dictator's followers.

AP Photo

AP Photo
Slideshow: Iraq

Saddam Hussein Captured Alive
(AP Video)

Latest headlines:
· U.S. Commander: Tip Led to Saddam Capture
AP - 7 minutes ago
· Saddam Captured Hiding in Hole Near Tikrit
Reuters - 8 minutes ago
· Iraqi Journalist Cries for Joy at Saddam's Capture
Reuters - 10 minutes ago
Special Coverage

"Ladies and gentlemen, we got him," U.S. administrator L. Paul Bremer told a news conference Sunday, eight months after American troops swept into Baghdad and toppled Saddam's regime.

"The tyrant is a prisoner."

In the capital, radio stations played celebratory music, residents fired small arms in the air in celebration and passengers on buses and trucks shouted, "They got Saddam! They got Saddam!"

Washington hopes Saddam's capture will help break the organized Iraq (news - web sites) resistance that has killed more than 190 American soldiers since President Bush (news - web sites) declared major combat over on May 1 and has set back efforts at reconstruction. U.S. commanders have said that while in hiding Saddam played some role in the guerrilla campaign blamed on his followers.

Saddam's capture was based on information from a member of a family "close to him," said Maj. Gen. Ray Odierno, commander of 4th Infantry Division, speaking in Tikrit.

"Finally we got the ultimate information from one of these individuals," he said.

The event comes almost five months after his sons, Qusai and Odai, were killed July 22 in a four-hour gunbattle with U.S. troops in a hideout in the northern city of Mosul. There was hope at the time that the sons' deaths would dampen the Iraqi resistance to the U.S. occupation. But since then, the guerrilla campaign has mounted dramatically.

In the latest attack, a suspected suicide bomber detonated explosives in a car outside a police station Sunday morning west of Baghdad, killing at least 17 people and wounding 33 more, the U.S. military said. Also Sunday, a U.S. soldier died while trying to disarm a roadside bomb south of the capital — the 452nd soldier to die in Iraq.

Saddam was one of the most-wanted fugitives in the world, along with Osama bin Laden (news - web sites), the leader of the al-Qaida terrorist network who has not been caught despite a manhunt since November 2001, when the Taliban regime was overthrown in Afghanistan (news - web sites).

Saddam was captured at 8:30 p.m. Saturday in a walled farm compound in Adwar, a town 10 miles from Tikrit, said Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez, the top U.S. military commander in Iraq. The cellar was little more than a specially prepared "spider hole" with just enough space to lie down. Bricks and dirt camouflaged the entrance.

A Pentagon (news - web sites) diagram showed the hiding place as a 6-foot-deep vertical tunnel, with a shorter tunnel branching out horizontally from one side. A pipe to the concrete surface at ground level provided air. The entrance to the hide-out was under the floor of a small, walled compound with a room in one corner and a lean-to attached to the room. The tunnel was roughly in the middle of the compound.

The hide-out was across a river from one of Saddam's palaces.

A U.S. defense official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Saddam admitted his identity when captured.

Sanchez, who saw Saddam overnight, said the deposed leader "has been cooperative and is talkative." He described Saddam as "a tired man, a man resigned to his fate."

"He was unrepentant and defiant," said Adel Abdel-Mahdi, a senior official of a Shiite Muslim political party who, along with other Iraqi leaders, visited Saddam in captivity.

"When we told him, 'If you go to the streets now, you will see the people celebrating,'" Abdel-Mahdi said. "He answered, 'Those are mobs.' When we told him about the mass graves, he replied, 'Those are thieves.'"

The official added: "He didn't seem apologetic. He seemed defiant, trying to find excuses for the crimes in the same way he did in the past."

Describing how U.S. forces were able to determine Saddam's location, Odierno said "we tried to work through family and tribal ties that might have been close to Saddam."

Finally, he said, U.S. forces received good information from one of the five to 10 individuals who had come forward.

In the walled compound was a small, mud-brick hut where Saddam was staying. The building consisted of two rooms, a bedroom with clothes scattered about and a "rudimentary kitchen," Odierno said. The commander said Saddam likely had been there only a short time, noting there were still new, unwrapped shirts in the bedroom.

In the courtyard, a few feet from the door of the hut was the entrance to the crawlspace, covered with a styrofoam lid, rugs and dirt, where Saddam went to hide, Odierno said.

Saddam, who had a pistol on him but didn't fire it, was "very disoriented" as soldiers brought him out of the hole, Odierno said.

"There was no way he could fight back so he was just caught like a rat."

The White House said Saddam's capture assures the Iraqi people that the deposed leader is gone from power for good.

"The Iraqi people can finally be assured that Saddam Hussein will not be coming back — they can see it for themselves," White House press secretary Scott McClellan said.

Bush planned a midday address to the nation on the capture, McClellan said.

Eager to give Iraqis evidence that the elusive former dictator had indeed been captured, Sanchez played a video at the news conference showing the 66-year-old Saddam in custody.

Saddam, with a thick, graying beard and bushy, disheveled hair, was seen as doctor examined him, holding his mouth open with a tongue depressor, apparently to get a DNA sample. Saddam touched his beard during the exam. Then the video showed a picture of Saddam after he was shaved, juxtaposed for comparison with an old photo of the Iraqi leader while in power.

Iraqi journalists in the audience stood, pointed and shouted "Death to Saddam!" and "Down with Saddam!"

Though the raid occurred Saturday afternoon American time, U.S. officials went to great length to keep it quiet until medical tests and DNA testing confirmed Saddam's identity.

DNA tests confirmed Saddam's identity, said the president of Iraqi Governing Council, Abdel-Aziz al-Hakim.

Saddam was being held at an undisclosed location, and U.S. authorities have not yet determined whether to hand him over to the Iraqis for trial or what is status would be. Iraqi officials want him to stand trial before a war crimes tribunal created last week.

Amnesty International said Sunday that Saddam should be given POW status and allowed visits by the international Red Cross.

Ahmad Chalabi, a member of Iraq's Governing Council, said Sunday that Saddam will be put on trial.

"Saddam will stand a public trial so that the Iraqi people will know his crimes," said Chalabi told Al-Iraqiya, a Pentagon-funded TV station.

British Prime Minister Tony Blair (news - web sites) hailed the capture, saying the deposed leader "has gone from power, he won't be coming back."

"Where his rule meant terror and division and brutality, let his capture bring about unity, reconciliation and peace between all the people of Iraq," Blair said in brief comments at his 10 Downing St. office.

In Tikrit, U.S. soldiers lit cigars after hearing the news.

Some 600 troops from the 4th Infantry Division along with Special Forces captured Saddam, the U.S. military said. There were no shots fired or injuries in the raid, called "Operation Red Dawn," Sanchez said.

Two men "affiliated with Saddam Hussein" were detained with him, and soldiers confiscated two Kalashnikov rifles, a pistol, a taxi and $750,000 in $100 bills, Sanchez said. The two men were "fairly insignificant" regime figures, a U.S. defense official said.

Celebratory gunfire erupted in the capital, and shop owners closed their doors, fearful that the shooting would make the streets unsafe.

"I'm very happy for the Iraqi people. Life is going to be safer now," said 35-year-old Yehya Hassan, a resident of Baghdad. "Now we can start a new beginning."

Earlier in the day, rumors of the capture sent people streaming into the streets of Kirkuk, a northern Iraqi city, firing guns in the air in celebration.

"We are celebrating like it's a wedding," said Kirkuk resident Mustapha Sheriff. "We are finally rid of that criminal."

"This is the joy of a lifetime," said Ali Al-Bashiri, another resident. "I am speaking on behalf of all the people that suffered under his rule."

Despite the celebration throughout Baghdad, many residents were skeptical.

"I heard the news, but I'll believe it when I see it," said Mohaned al-Hasaji, 33. "They need to show us that they really have him."

Ayet Bassem, 24, walked out of a shop with her 6-year-old son.

"Things will be better for my son," she said. "Everyone says everything will be better when Saddam is caught. My son now has a future."

After invading Iraq on March 20 and setting up their headquarters in Saddam's sprawling Republican Palace compound in Baghdad, U.S. troops launched a massive manhunt for the fugitive (news - Y! TV) leader, placing a $25 million bounty on his head and sending thousands of soldiers to search for him.

Saddam proved elusive during the war, when at least two dramatic military strikes came up empty in their efforts to assassinate him. Since then, he has appeared in both video and audio tapes. U.S. officials named him No. 1 on their list of 55 most-wanted Iraqis, the Ace of Spades in a special deck of most-wanted cards.

Saddam's capture leaves 13 figures still at large from the list. The highest ranking figure among them is Izzat Ibrahim al-Douri, a close Saddam aide who U.S. officials have said may be directly organizing resistance.

U.S. forces had indicated they did not think Saddam would be captured alive.

Next Story: U.S. Commander: Tip Led to Saddam Capture (AP)

More World - Middle East Stories
· Saddam Hussein captured alive in major US coup (AFP)
· World leaders say Saddam's capture will end Iraqi "nightmare" (AFP)
· Hopeful Bush got final word on Saddam before dawn (AFP)
· Saddam likely to go before new Iraqi war crimes court (AFP)
· Iraqi joy overflows onto streets, fills air with crackle of bullets (AFP)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
" I pass to you the torch that Christ once passed to me, others are still in the dark an need the light to see"
Ferre
Cannabis Sacrament Minister.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope for only two things, that Bush isn't going to use it as a showcase and gets re elected. And second, I hope the world is going to realize all this violence has to stop, we 've had enough of it! Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lilli

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: we see thru the same eyes ferre Reply with quote

Exactly the thought that went thru my head brother. I know up until now he has had the election lost. he recently after "visiting" the troops in Iraq at thanksgiving...weeks later lowered there"battle" pay by a few hundred dollars a month. I knew then that soldiers and there familys wouldnt vote him in again. He has screwed the pennyslvania steel workers. he is in cahoots with china It is all one big huge mess.
Revelations 12:12 Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.
Lets prepare for the worst and pray for the best. God is on our side."we shallovercome ......someday.
~Lilli~ bloem ps the website is coming along beautifuly cant wait to get it up and running.ty again.
" I pass to you the torch that Christ once passed to me, others are still in the dark an need the light to see"
The GanjaCat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Suppose that leaves Osama Bin Laden as World hide-and-seek champion then?
indicaspice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can bet your sweet ass that this is exactly what will get Bush reelected. They are gonna milk this for all it's worth.

when life hands you a lemon, make lemonade
Boojum

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sure - Saddam's a lunatic, true (but so's bush), but I don't think he's stupid (unlike W...). I think if he plays it right, it may just end up screwing bush. Personally, I'm convinced that there never were links between Al Quaeda & Saddam - Al Quaeda is a fundamentalist Islamic terror group, Saddam was a secular dictator who suppressed the Suni muslims in Iraq, there was no common ground. Saddam may have wished to foster links with Al Quaeda (though I doubt it), but I think it far more likely for Bin Laden etc to be in with a fundamentalist Islamic state than a secular dictatorship. I also seriously doubt the claims regarding weapons of mass destruction (save possibly those that Rumsfeldt sold saddam when he visited for W's dad). If saddam confirms these suspicions, OK so the white house will spin it as more of saddams lies, but I think sensible folks will take it as further confirmation that the motives for the war were not honourable. I think popular feeling is growing both here in the UK and in the US that we have been lied to one too many times.
And that's the day I knew there was this entire life behind things, and... this incredibly benevolent force, that wanted me to know there was no reason to be afraid, ever. Video's a poor excuse. But it helps me remember... and I need to remember... Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world I feel like I can't take it, like my heart's going to cave in.
American Beauty.
The GanjaCat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon if we could attach a turbine to deluge of spin we're gonna get served over this, we could do without Iraqi oil anyway!

I'm very surprised that he was taken alive, in an honest court he could certainly blow holes in US/UK 'official' lines, especially over WMD.

But the only links between Saddam & Osama will be found to be that they were both funded by the US taxpayer.

Hey, lets face it, they've lied to us from (before) the start, why should anything change now, especialy as both Dubya & B Liar are facing the boot when they next come before the people. Shame it won't make any difference though - the NWO are as much a dictatorship as any other, only revolution will rid the world of this ultimate evil.
The GanjaCat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: Back to reality.... Reply with quote

Iraqis return to reality after party

By James Shaw
BBC correspondent in Basra

The power has gone again in Basra and if people here are still celebrating the capture of Saddam Hussein, they are doing so in darkened streets or by the light of oil lamps in their living rooms.

Only the floodlights at the entrance to the headquarters of the coalition provisional authority are working, throwing a harsh glare onto a children's game of football on a patch of dirt at the side of the road.

It was quite different as the rumours of Saddam Hussein's capture turned to hard fact on Sunday afternoon.

Car horns blared, thousands were on the streets and there were volleys of fire from automatic weapons.

Several people were injured as live rounds crashed back down to earth.

If the situation has not improved by the end of June... trouble is almost guaranteed

Elsewhere, people told us they would be holding celebration meals to mark the demise of the man one Iraqi described as "that murderer, that butcher".
Now as the celebrations fade into memory, life is returning to what passes for normality in this city, which has been ravaged for so many years by poverty and war.

An eight-man unit from the Royal Regiment of Wales is patrolling one of Basra's markets.

The alleys are narrow, muddy, littered with refuse and heaving with people.

Colour Sergeant Craig Stockdale takes his men right into the heart of the crowd.

They pass out leaflets confirming Saddam Hussein's capture and inviting Iraqis to look forward to a future without him.

Many traders and shoppers take the handouts eagerly and the patrol is accompanied by cries of "Saddam donkey" and "Saddam Ali Baba", meaning the former leader was a thief who stole from his own people.

New hope

The head of the coalition authority in the south of Iraq, Sir Hilary Sinate, believes the security situation will improve.

People will no longer hedge their bets by maintaining links with supporters of the former regime.
Outsiders who may have come here to stir up dissent, will be forced out of the city.

There is little doubt the people of Basra will feel differently about the future.

The man who is responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths through war, oppression and neglect is losing his power to terrify, even as a bogeyman whose whereabouts and control over insurgents was guessed at but unknown.

But still the rubbish piles up on street corners, the water is unclean and every night the power flips out for several hours at a time.

To many citizens of Basra, the promised improvements in daily life must seem to be coming with infuriating slowness.

The water supply is back to pre-war standards but not much better. There are still numerous leaks and as rubbish piles up around cracked pipes, there is inevitable contamination.

Summer deadline

Capturing Saddam Hussein has been an extraordinary propaganda success for the US-led coalition.

The harder and more thankless job of showing people the benefits of the new dispensation will be a long, hard grind. But time is short.

Last summer there were riots protesting, in particular, about the lack of a water supply.

If the situation has not improved by the end of June, when the coalition hands power back to an Iraqi Government and the temperature peaks above 40 degrees, more, and perhaps worse trouble, is almost guaranteed.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/middle_east/3323805.stm

Published: 2003/12/16 11:55:21 GMT

© BBC MMIII
thcbongman
High and aware
High and aware

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May god be with us. 4 more years of Bush, will not only result in more bloodshed and violence to others, but will cause the US to implode. He can't sustain an economy giving tax cuts and increase spending to record levels. Maybe not now, but at some point in time something has got to give. I fear that day. His arrogance can not continue.
Ferre

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/THC-Ministry/message/217
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rev. Chazman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Ferre

Peace
THC-Ministry "we use Cannabis religiously and you can to" http://www.thc-ministry.org/
Take nothing but memories, Leave nothing but footprints.
CDXX Peace Time IV:XX ** Rev.Chazman-Cannabis Sacrament Minister
Future King of Cannatopia ™ © 2004 Rev. Chazman all rights reserved
Cannabis
High and aware
High and aware

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real axis of evil: Bush Twisted Evil
indicaspice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The real axis of evil: Bush

I agree with you. You know Bush wants all other countries to disarm themselves of weapons of mass destruction. It appears that only the US and their close circle of allies are allowed to possess these weapons.

when life hands you a lemon, make lemonade
The GanjaCat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't make the mistake of vilifying a puppet for the deeds of the string-pullers.

(& that applies to Saddam, too)

Keep your eyes on the ball, it's the NWO who are the true 'dark side' on this little rock.

Dubya is just the current front-man for the public face of something bigger, nastier & more deadly.

The singer may change, but the song remains the same.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Issues of war and peace All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: