THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index
AustraliaBasqueBulgariaCanadaChinaEgyptFranceGreeceIcelandIndiaIndonesiaIrelandJamaicaJapanJordanLatviaMexicoNetherlandsNew Zealand
NorwaySpainPakistanLebanonPeruPolandPeurto RicoRomaniaRussiaSingaporeSouth AfricaSudanSwedenThailandTurkeyUnited KingdomUSAUzbekistan
Sacramental cannabis sects

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Cannabis, Religion and History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ferre
Cannabis Sacrament Minister.
Cannabis Sacrament Minister.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Sacramental cannabis sects Reply with quote

Just found this interesting article...

Quote:
Since the dawn of recorded history, secret sects of cannabis-using worshipers have tuned in to the potential of the human spirit, while mainstream religions, serving the interests of the state, have demonized their practices as dangerous, heretical and evil. Using entheogens to reach higher levels of consciousness, these secret sects have opened themselves to the utmost potential of humankind, but not without cost.

In unholy, bloody purgings, ancient kings turned their temples to dust, sacrificed their priests on their own altars and scattered their followers. Still, their teachings remained. The inherent impulse to ingest psychedelics for spiritual illumination survived, as have the prohibitions of governments desperately grasping to limit the definitions of human consciousness.

Psychedelic spirituality

The secret, revolutionary truth of psychedelic spirituality is that the divine exists in each of us, that no one has to show it to us, and that we don't have to follow any one else's rules to get there. In the 60's, hippie folk turned on to the possibilities of psychedelic union with God, and communities advocating sacramental use of cannabis and other entheogens sprang up all over North America.

In the US, Stephen Gaskin led the largest-ever hippie caravan across the country to Tennessee, where he founded "The Farm" in 1972. "There are spiritual levels of experience that people are heir to," writes Gaskin in his book, Cannabis Spirituality. "If you touch that spiritual vibration, it will touch you back. There isn't supposed to be an intermediary between you and God."

The Church of the Universe, whose members believe that marijuana is the tree of life, was created around the same type of community-living model as The Farm. One day in 1969, standing on the ice of a spring-fed quarry in Puslinch County, Ontario, Walter Tucker had a vision of an alternative community, living in harmony with each other and the land. He quickly arranged to lease the land for a small monthly rate, called it "Clearwater Abbey," and founded a new religion based on a philosophy of community living, inward searching and sacramental cannabis.

Read full article here:
http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/1670.html

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HvyFuel
Cannabis Sacrament Minister

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Church of the Universe

http://www.iamm.com/
kytaira

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ontario as in Canada?

Cool!
Rev. Anthony
indicaspice

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Canada Smile

I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
kytaira

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they still around here? Clearwater Abbey, I mean. Is it still up and running? If so, where abouts is it located? I think it'd be a great vacation spot!

Rev. Anthony
Birben
getting into high spirits
getting into high spirits

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Clearwater Abbey " i want theare ... !!! Razz Razz
sibannac

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a TV programme on a couple weeks ago looking into the sixties and cannabis Clearwater abbey was on it. On the program they showed several high (good pun) ranking officials from the British government admitting they used cannabis as a way of giving the hippies of the time serious grief as they didn't conform!! They decided to demonise cannabis to turn the public against the hippy movement and i'm afraid the tag has stuck, its far easier to blame a herb than to blame society which as we all know is government led hmmm.
Romadon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Quote On Quote Reply with quote

Arrow

A subsidiary of Terrafirma Hollowed by Cannabis, Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Cannabis, Religion and History All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: