THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index
AustraliaBasqueBulgariaCanadaChinaEgyptFranceGreeceIcelandIndiaIndonesiaIrelandJamaicaJapanJordanLatviaMexicoNetherlandsNew Zealand
NorwaySpainPakistanLebanonPeruPolandPeurto RicoRomaniaRussiaSingaporeSouth AfricaSudanSwedenThailandTurkeyUnited KingdomUSAUzbekistan
priest busted for 35 plants and distributing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lilli
Cannabis Sacrament Minister

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: priest busted for 35 plants and distributing Reply with quote

Strange News - AP

Priest Bagged for Growing Pot in Rectory
Fri Feb 6, 4:39 PM ET Add Strange News - AP to My Yahoo!

AKRON, Ohio - A Roman Catholic priest accused of growing marijuana in his church living quarters pleaded innocent Friday.

The Rev. Richard A. Arko, 40, said nothing in Summit County Magistrate Court. He is free on a $3,000 signature bond.

He was charged Jan. 22 with illegal cultivation of marijuana, a fifth-degree felony. On Wednesday, an indictment also charged him with possession of criminal tools and illegal use or possession of drug paraphernalia.

If convicted, Arko faces one to two years in jail and up to $5,250 in fines.

Police seized 35 pots of marijuana plants, rolling papers, a rolling machine, grinder and scissors from the Prince of Peace Church rectory, prosecutors say.

After the arrest, church officials put the priest on paid leave and said Arko won't be allowed to return to his duties in the parish after the case is resolved.

Norton police arrested Arko after they searched the living quarters in Barberton, about eight miles southwest of Akron.
" I pass to you the torch that Christ once passed to me,others are still in the dark an need the light to see"
TrueProCannabis420

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:10 am    Post subject: eh? Reply with quote

Eh? Why did he not tell them that he used it for religion? Come on! Jeez I detest those feds, they are like annoying pesky bugs to horse! Grr! Evil or Very Mad
Pepper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newspaper articles are biased because they get the story from police and often will vilify the defendant before a trial. What a person says at the time of arrest will be twisted around to try to make them look guilty. In my opinion, the best thing to do is to remain silent, except to ask to speak to a lawyer, and plead not guilty which is exactly what the priest did.
Rev. Chazman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we should find a way to get religious use information sent to this guys lawyer... Info on facts found out about cannabis being used in the holy anointing oil recipe in the bible and other such interesting tidbits of info.. It might help him, and thereby help us at the same time. For every single victory, is a victory for us all.

Peace Smile
THC-Ministry "we use Cannabis religiously and you can to" http://www.thc-ministry.org/
Take nothing but memories, Leave nothing but footprints.
CDXX Peace Time IV:XX ** Rev.Chazman-Cannabis Sacrament Minister
Lilli

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Chaz that was a great idea. I took the inintiative with the info there in that artical and tryed to call. The church has dismissed him ...........unfortunatly. I tried 3 differant numbers to no avail even the only other 2 Arkos in Barberton Ohio and when I asked was they any relation they said no. So I was unsuccesful.
~Lilli~
" I pass to you the torch that Christ once passed to me,others are still in the dark an need the light to see"
Rev. Chazman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key is contacting his attorney and offering the info through him... Im sure its public record who is defending him... Or I would think so.

Peace
THC-Ministry "we use Cannabis religiously and you can to" http://www.thc-ministry.org/
CrookedEye

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:20 am    Post subject: I'll look into it... Reply with quote

I'll try to find out more info because I am less than an hour from there. I'll try to contact his lawyer and give him some info about religious use and this site. I'll let you know what I can find out.
CE
Lilli

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on ya bro
Echo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs up CrookedEye! bigok

Please let us know how it goes.

Echo

'You, your joys and your sorrows, your memories and your ambitions, your sense of personal identity and free will, are in fact no more than the behaviour of a vast assembly of nerve cells and their associated molecules,' Francis Crick (1916~2004)

Kent THC Ministry
CrookedEye

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: Will do... Reply with quote

I'll try to find out what I can but it's hard for me to get info and the time to check it all out. I'll keep trying to find out who I need to talk to.
Pepper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2004/04/06/ohio_priest_gets_probation_for_growing_pot/

Ohio priest gets probation for growing pot
4/6/2004

AKRON, Ohio -- A Roman Catholic priest received two years of probation Tuesday for growing marijuana in his church residence. The Rev. Richard Arko, 40, pleaded guilty to two counts of illegal cultivation of marijuana related to 35 plants in the rectory of Prince of Peace Roman Catholic Church.

Summit County Common Pleas Judge Patricia Cosgrove also ordered Arko to undergo random drug testing and perform 100 hours of community service.

Cosgrove asked Arko why he jeopardized his career by growing marijuana. Arko said he strongly believes in the use of marijuana for medicinal purposes and has seen it benefit people with illnesses. He said he looked forward to the day when it would not be illegal.

Arko said it's unlikely he will be able to continue as a priest, but hopes he can "move on in my life and continue to serve others."

Police arrested Arko in January after they searched his living quarters in Barberton, about eight miles southwest of Akron.

Church officials put Arko on paid leave after the arrest.
Rev. Chazman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A man turned away by the catholic church for his belief in/ use of one of Gods plants.... What an important voice he would be if he were to join us. Exclamation

Peace Smile
Ferre
Cannabis Sacrament Minister.
Cannabis Sacrament Minister.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, maybe someone can find out how to contact him and invite him. My guess is that he might be happy to find out of our existance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pepper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope we can contact him soon. Maybe he can serve his community service time for a non-profit drug law reform group.
Lilli

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try again Monday. i was able to get ahold of the church that let him go. Ill inquire further.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: