THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index
AustraliaBasqueBulgariaCanadaChinaEgyptFranceGreeceIcelandIndiaIndonesiaIrelandJamaicaJapanJordanLatviaMexicoNetherlandsNew Zealand
NorwaySpainPakistanLebanonPeruPolandPeurto RicoRomaniaRussiaSingaporeSouth AfricaSudanSwedenThailandTurkeyUnited KingdomUSAUzbekistan
No 'Getting Stoned' in New Bible

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Cannabis, Religion and History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stokes
Cannabis Sacrament Minister

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: No 'Getting Stoned' in New Bible Reply with quote

U.K. - No Getting Stoned In New Bible

For centuries scholars have argued over the most delicate nuances of biblical texts, passionately debating whether key words should be tweaked to reflect cultural changes.

But, despite the fervent exchange of such learned views, there has been no fretting about whether the Bible endorses dope-smoking. Until now.

A 15-strong panel of eminent theologians and linguists was so concerned that young people reading the Bible today are confusing the phrase 'stoned' not with Old Testament executions but with drugs, that it has suggested a radical clarification to a forthcoming edition of the sacred text.

In an attempt to clear up any confusion on the part of Britain's youth, Today's New International Version Bible, published by Hodder & Stoughton on Tuesday, updates the original edition, published 27 years ago, so that people are 'stoned to death', rather than 'stoned'.

'We wanted to keep it from being confused with drug addiction,' Professor Ronald Youngblood, who chaired the panel, told the Church Times newspaper.

The clarification is an effort by the panel to modernise its earlier edition of the Bible, which became the most popular English language version in the world.

Scholars may sense political correctness in the changes. Out goes terminology such as 'he', 'man' and 'men', replaced by 'person' or 'people'. In comes an attempt to dispel anti-Semitic interpretations of the New Testament. John 5:16 now reads 'Jewish leaders', rather than Jews, 'began to persecute Jesus'.

The panel said that the changes were being made to 'increase understanding' rather than make the Bible more contemporaneous.

'There is a need to reach today's generation with language they can understand and relate to,' the panel states on the TNIV website.

Overall, around seven per cent of the original New International Version Bible has been altered in a bid to bring clarity to a new generation of readers. Some of the changes appear trivial. For example, Matthew's use of the word 'tunic' becomes 'shirt' and his phrase 'with child' becomes 'pregnant'. However, some changes are more profound. Use of the word 'Christ', which was popular with Greek-speaking churches, has been replaced by the Hebrew title 'Messiah'.

Source: Observer, The (UK)
Copyright: 2005 The Observer
Fyrefly1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting that the 'experts' think our youth need to be spoon fed... They seem to be always looking out for our best interests.

Even the dumbest of us know how to use a dictionary...if we want to use one.

As a young child I intuitively 'knew' what getting stoned was, and it wasn't smoking!

Laughing
Mystic Power
admin THC-Ministry YahooGroup
admin THC-Ministry YahooGroup

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is "stoned" even a part of youth vernacular now?

If so, that'd be really far-out and groovy.

Daddy-oh.

rofl

Bliss,
Ben
Fyrefly1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'm hip dude....

Wanna smoke some reefer?

Laughing
Romadon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, well I've had some very big rocks thrown at me even right at my face and had i not dodged one of them i probably wouldn't be talking to you right now. Unless one is wanting to die or is a serious masochist i fail to see where addiction becomes a prevalent issue in such activities. I personally don't enjoy being hit with rocks all that much. I suppose it's a matter of knowing how to roll with the rocks too. What pisses me off is women and children even be throwing the damn things at yah. Sadistic fucking bustards.

A subsidiary of Terrafirma Hollowed by Cannabis, Inc.
Fyrefly1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I love the scene in Monty Python's "LIfe of Brian" where the women all dress up as men so they can "go to the stoning"...

rofl
Echo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Life of Brian Smile Every bit of it!
Rev. Rodger L. Poole

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In an attempt to clear up any confusion on the part of Britain's youth, Today's New International Version Bible, published by Hodder & Stoughton on Tuesday, updates the original edition, published 27 years ago, so that people are 'stoned to death', rather than 'stoned'.

What I find to be totally insane, is that these folks are worried about children reading drug use into the bible, so they want to make clear that its murder the bible is talking about....

"Hey kids, I dont want you to think these were bad people who used DRUGS.....no no no, see they were just killers......"

Ridiculous

Quote:
It's interesting that the 'experts' think our youth need to be spoon fed... They seem to be always looking out for our best interests.

Excellent point.....IMO, I think thats because they know when people are being 'spoon-fed', they are lazy by nature, and just 'swallow' whatever they are told, rather than trying to nourish themselves.... And thats how you get the status quo......
Fyrefly1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rev. Rodger L. Poole wrote:
Quote:

What I find to be totally insane, is that these folks are worried about children reading drug use into the bible, so they want to make clear that its murder the bible is talking about....

"Hey kids, I dont want you to think these were bad people who used DRUGS.....no no no, see they were just killers......"

Ridiculous

Quote:

Excellent point.....IMO, I think thats because they know when people are being 'spoon-fed', they are lazy by nature, and just 'swallow' whatever they are told, rather than trying to nourish themselves.... And thats how you get the status quo......

Yes,

Govern-'mental' seems to be all about insanity and doing 'crazy things...like using DU ammo thereby poisoning other countries, at the same time poisoning our poor soldiers! And, putting people in prison for smoking a God-given plant!

Even my 82 year old dad says, "We live in a very strange time"!
Rev. Chazman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fyrefly1 wrote:
Personally, I love the scene in Monty Python's "LIfe of Brian" where the women all dress up as men so they can "go to the stoning"...

rofl

Haha thanks for that. I havent seen this in a long time. The thought of it alone got me laughing. I needed that. Laughing

Peace
I praise good thoughts, good words, and good deeds and those that are to be thought, spoken, and done. I do accept all good thoughts, good words, and good deeds. I do renounce all evil thoughts, evil words, and evil deeds. ---Avesta: Yasna
---------------------------------------------------
Future Servant of Cannatopia ©2004 - ∞ Rev. Chazman all rights reserved
Fyrefly1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
Okie dokie...
The GCW

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reality Reply with quote

Man can use cannabis with the approval of God;

but man can not prohibit or exterminate cannabis with the approval of God.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Cannabis, Religion and History All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: