THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index
AustraliaBasqueBulgariaCanadaChinaEgyptFranceGreeceIcelandIndiaIndonesiaIrelandJamaicaJapanJordanLatviaMexicoNetherlandsNew Zealand
NorwaySpainPakistanLebanonPeruPolandPeurto RicoRomaniaRussiaSingaporeSouth AfricaSudanSwedenThailandTurkeyUnited KingdomUSAUzbekistan
MARS!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> General news topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Echo
Cannabis Sacrament Minister

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: MARS! Reply with quote

Look up in the sky and see Mars as you have never seen it before. The astronomic event will take place at the beginning of August. At that time Mars will be as near as it can get to Earth in 60 thousands years time, a once in a human civilization experience.

Mars took its name from the Roman God of War because to those who first observed the planet in the night sky of earth it glinted with the ruddy shade of blood. But the naming seems to have been touched by the hand of prophecy for on Mars, the Red Planet, war still reins supreme.

WHATEVER!

This is the juicy article:

CLOSE ENCOUNTER WITH MARS

Never again in your lifetime will the Red Planet be so spectacular. This month and next Earth is catching up with Mars, an encounter that will culminate in the closest approach between the two planets in recorded history. The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287. Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit, astronomers can only be certain that Mars has not come this close to Earth in the last 5,000 years but it may be as long as 60,000 years. The encounter will culmination August 27th when Mars comes to within 34,649,589 miles and will be (next to the moon) the brightest object in the night sky. It will attain a magnitude of -2.9 and will appear 25.11 arc seconds wide. At a modest 75-power magnification Mars will look as large as the full moon to he
naked eye. Mars will be easy to spot. At the beginning of August Mars will rise in the east at 10 p.m. and reach its azimuth at about 3 a.m. But by the end of August when the two planets are closest, Mars will rise at nightfall and reach its highest point in the sky at ! 12:30 a.m. That's pretty convenient when it comes to seeing something that no human has seen in recorded history. So mark your calendar at the beginning of August to see Mars grow progressively brighter and brighter throughout the month. Share with your children and grandchildren. No one alive today will ever see this again.

See you there among the stars,

Echo

oldmanmozz
Honourable member
Honourable member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: MARS! Reply with quote

cheers echo, is this applicable to downunder (close to equator)
Rolling Eyes

cheers an cones Mozz smokin

Echo wrote:
Look up in the sky and see Mars as you have never seen it before. The astronomic event will take place at the beginning of August. At that time Mars will be as near as it can get to Earth in 60 thousands years time, a once in a human civilization experience.

WHATEVER!

This is the juicy article:

CLOSE ENCOUNTER WITH MARS

Never again in your lifetime will the Red Planet be so spectacular. This month and next Earth is catching up with Mars, an encounter that will culminate in the closest approach between the two planets in recorded history. The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287. Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit, astronomers can only be certain that Mars has not come this close to Earth in the last 5,000 years but it may be as long as 60,000 years. The encounter will culmination August 27th when Mars comes to within 34,649,589 miles and will be (next to the moon) the brightest object in the night sky. It will attain a magnitude of -2.9 and will appear 25.11 arc seconds wide. At a modest 75-power magnification Mars will look as large as the full moon to he
naked eye. Mars will be easy to spot. At the beginning of August Mars will rise in the east at 10 p.m. and reach its azimuth at about 3 a.m. But by the end of August when the two planets are closest, Mars will rise at nightfall and reach its highest point in the sky at ! 12:30 a.m. That's pretty convenient when it comes to seeing something that no human has seen in recorded history. So mark your calendar at the beginning of August to see Mars grow progressively brighter and brighter throughout the month. Share with your children and grandchildren. No one alive today will ever see this again.

See you there among the stars,

Echo
Echo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, dear oldmanmozz, it seems YOU'll get the best picture! We in the northen hemisphere will have to look down south, near the horizon line. You'll have it up in the sky. You won't need a telescope to see it, it's red and easy to spot. Of course if you want to give it a closer look, it's worth pointing a telescope at it. A small one will do. You'll be amazed.

The night show will last all month of August, the 28th being the best night.

I wonder what are the chances of getting a clear sky night here in England nope
Wish US luck!

Echo

The GanjaCat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice posting, Echo

I never knew you were a sky-watcher!

I plan to spend a clear night in Amsterdam Bos, (A huge park / woodland area between achipol & the 'dam) lying on my back on a blanket on 'THE hill' (you have to be there to understand!), perhaps with the aid of a pack of cubensis, and enjoy the spectacle.

After suffering the frustrations of the British climate for both Kahoutek & Halley, and being in Crown Court on the day of the UK solar eclipse, I reckon I deserve ONE good one!

Anyone wanna join me?
bernie W
getting into high spirits

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: sky watching (in general) Reply with quote

there is nothing like watching the night sky from the west coast of vancouver island ... almost no ambient light to speak of (vancouver is about 100 km away)

all you have to do is walk down the beach a little and you are in TOTAL BLACK ... and you can listen to the ocean waves too!!

you would have to go to siberia or the orkneys to get that kind of sky in europe

stars

NOEL ~ NOEL ~ NOEL ~ NOEL
The GanjaCat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old stamping ground - the 'Lake District' of northern england - had pretty decent skies, when it wasn't raining.

But that sounds even better!

Are you far enough north to get the aurora too?
Echo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bernie! I like your Avatar (is it a bat?), your signiture (lol) and I would love to look at Mars from a dark location such as yours! Razz

Echo

bernie W

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: YES - WE DO GET AURORA B. Reply with quote

where i live (northern alberta) aurora is fairly common ~ sometimes we can get incredible ones ... Exclamation

on vancouver island i've never seen them: but that doesn't mean they don't get them!! i've never been there during the winter, which would be the best of course wowie

NOEL ~ NOEL ~ NOEL ~ NOEL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> General news topics All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: