THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index
~MARINOL~
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Medical Cannabis, science and law.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rigdog
High and aware
High and aware

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: ~MARINOL~ Reply with quote

Hello e/1 Cool,
I hope this finds ALL Well, after these holi-DAZE!
The Dr. has placed me on MARINOL, 5mg. caps to start out with to see if they help. They HELP!!
Does anyone know anything about MARINOL? If you do & wouldn't mind shareing this information with me, please do.
I've noticed that I have to take quite a few of the 5mg's.
I'm also on 20mg. Oxy's., 10mg. Loratabs, 1mg. klonipin, 4mg. Tizanidine.
I take more than one each of these per day, this is what each pill's mg's. are.
It's the MARINOL that I want to know about & if you know about mixing all this up daily. The Dr. is supposed to know, but I HATE takeing all these chemicals.
PEACE & RESPECT
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Echo
Cannabis Sacrament Minister

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rigdog, you teaser! I wish my doctor prescribed me some of that Wink

Marinol is synthetic THC. I still think natural is the way to go, but when it comes for free we can make an ecception smoke1 Very Happy shamrock lick herb ccc: grins

But I’ll stand my ground and I won’t back down
Echo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about the other pills though smoke2
What are they?

Whitegold

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for the late reply....hope this helps Very Happy

Since 1986, synthetic THC (Marinol) has been available as a Schedule II drug, which allows physicians to prescribe it under highly regulated conditions. It is labeled as a anti-nauseant and an appetite stimulant, but doctors prescribe it for other conditions, such as depression and muscle spasticity. However, for people suffering from nausea and vomiting, who are unable to swallow and hold down a pill, smoking marijuana is often the only reliable method of delivery. Smoking has the added benefit of providing relief quickly, often producing relief in minutes, whereas swallowed THC may take four hours or more.

When THC is swallowed, the effects vary considerably, both from one person to the next and in the same person from one episode to another. Much of the swallowed THC is metabolized into other compounds by the liver. Effective dosage rates are difficult to achieve, since swallowed THC takes so long to go into effect and since its effects wear off slowly. Smoked marijuana is a more flexible route of administration, not only because its effects are more immediate, but also because the patient can take only as much as needed.

Another problem with swallowed THC is that the psychoactive side effects may be more intense than those that occur from smoking. In a study of elderly patients, the large dose of oral THC needed to reduce nausea and vomiting produced severe psychoactive effects, reducing its utility as a medicine.

Still another failure of synthetic THC medications is their lack of the multiple ingredients which appear in natural marijuana. Researchers are just beginning to discover the importance of ingredients such as cannabidiol (CBD), which not only offers specific therapeutic effects in muscle spasms, but also serves to reduce the psychoactive effect of THC. CBD's balancing of THC's psychoactive effect may be one reason many patients prefer marijuana to Marinol.

Yet another problem with Marinol and other synthetic forms of THC is cost. Patients report monthly expense of $500 to $900 for Marinol prescriptions. Patients purchasing marijuana on the black market could procure an approximately equivalent supply for less than $500, while those allowed to grow their own supply would be able to produce their 'medicine' for zero cost.

In a 1990 survey of oncologists, researchers asked for comparisons on the effectiveness of Marinol and smoked marijuana. Only 28 percent felt familiar enough with both drugs to answer the question. Of these, only 13 percent thought Marinol was better; 43 percent believed the two forms of THC were equally effective, and 44 percent believed smoked marijuana was better. Four hundred and thirty-two oncologists (44% of respondents) said they had recommended smoked marijuana to at least one of their cancer patients.

You may also want to look into SATIVEX the newest of the new synthetic thc/cbd replacements to our sacrement Shocked
Cannabis Seeds UK
jonhomebrewer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: the color of herb Reply with quote

do you remember when you used to buy weed and your friends would ask "is it any good, what does it look like?" and you hoped you could answer "well, its more green than brown." we have a class of smoke here in 'merica we call 'Iowa Ditch' which quite possibly was left over wild hemp from WWII when hemp made a brief comeback. what are some similar terms for the schwaggiest schwag people have resorted to?

remember in that kerouac book when he talks about getting sick from some 'green' uncured mariguana? makes me wonder just what kind of beatnick he was.

"Beer, Australian for breakfast" made that one up myself
mc nick-grassmoke

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: inquisition Reply with quote

its called Pharmacratic Inquisition, that is the Pharmacies running the drug racket, they know smokin herb is more reasonable and sensible, just not to their pockets. They can control pills, its man made,people cant make their own pills but you can grow your own garden. they cornered the market. i say throw all them pills out and get yourself some nice sticky icky icky. even Marinol its made from thc but it aint natural. i say F*#k the Pharmacratic inquisition. Legalize it so we can grow our own, (outside) and feel safe. inside get be a little safer too. and about OXY'S you need to do yourself a favor and throw that shit out, it like Heroin, n good man, people die everyday from that stuff. you should see some of the kids in Philly walking around on that stuff.....ZOMBIES, i respect it if it helps w/ your illness but you gotta think the natural substance may be a little better..naturally great................ stinky
Lilli

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello dear Rigdog, I have taken marinol before, Not legaly tho. Yes I too had to take a cpl the low miligram ones as they just werent strong enough for a chronic toker like myself. It was a good dose you felt good all day. But I missed the ritual of smokeing it.. I too take oxys for pain bro. 2 10 mgs (a day) and a fast acting 5 inbetween. I wasnt on them tho when I used marinol. Id think they will be just like smoking on them tho and wont have any adverse side effects. I have heard of someone getting a high mg of marinol tho and lol being to high to call into work. They said they were afraid they could hear his smile and they wouldnt believe he was to ill to come in. Its a sad state of affairs when a sick person has to feel guilty about smilig isnt it? Peace Rigdog your sista ~Lilli~

I pass to you the torch that Christ once passed to me.
Others are still in the dark and need
the light to see.
"I AM"
"Gathering the fragments so that
none are lost"
His Shepherdess
http://missouri.thcministry.org/
rigdog
High and aware
High and aware

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all,
A lot of real good info.
McNic...no can do...you see as bad as I hate the chemicals, I MUST.
You have NO PAIN like my pain. AS I type this I coughed & my pelvis bones slamed together. Yes, pllvis bones, I have two, mine is split into in the back. The tiny pice of muscle in my thigh is not the piece that belongs there, but its all they had left to tie to where my knee used to be. SPASMS GALORE.
I'm not to prowd, you want to send me some good herb,I'll take it. You want to help me locate some I'll buy it. I'm HURTING & only FRIENDS really help. Government doesn't care if I hurt or not.
The Dr. has me on all of this & I have insurance, Thank GOD!!
The MARINOL month perscription is 100 caps 5mg. $851.77.
I pay $30.00. This is a SIN. They didn't have to send a scientist to the jungle to find, discover, bring back & synthisize. IT'S everywhere, it should be about the cheepest, ALAS, one of the very most expensive. GO FIGURE! I don't have to go far to figure it out.$$$$$$$. That all.
I'm rambling again, sorry!
Peace & Respect
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ferre
Cannabis Sacrament Minister.
Cannabis Sacrament Minister.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this...

On their website is (flash animation) a movie that explains how Marinol works on the brain. My opinion is that consuming cannabis (not smoking it) will give you the same benefits and even more. What we see here is a substitute for the real thing.

http://www.marinol.com/
Those who don't, quote scriptures.
davon96720
getting into high spirits
getting into high spirits

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Marinol price increase Reply with quote

Marinol has recently had a dramatic increase in price. HMOs have greatly restricted it now to extreme conditions i.e. chemo-therapy. I would believe it a price and demand situation as it has been found to be effective in many medical conditions recently. For myself, it greatly eased muscle spacisity and pain and was convenient. However, I have great reservations on it's use since it's a corporate monopoly. So, I need to more of the natural product.
Echo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing compares to the natural thing. If you could choose between a human made vitamin and a natural one, what would you go for?
Pepper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently learned about marinol from someone that was able to secure a prescription from a neurologist to treat cancer (no other doctor would). The prescription was written on the condition that it not be claimed on insurance! Imagine his shock when he learned that marinol would cost him $1200 a month for 2 pills a day.

Given 6 months to live he has survived over two years using cannabis as his only medicine. His oncologist knows of his "herbal" remedy and advised him to "keep doing what your doing". It's obvious that his oncologist believes in whole cannabis but won't prescribe marinol.

Here's an article that explains some of the science that may be of use: Cannabinoids: Potential Anticancer Agents

This article provides a lot of the latest scientific evidence that THC isn't the only cannabinoid that is at work.
Mystic Power
admin THC-Ministry YahooGroup
admin THC-Ministry YahooGroup

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pepper wrote:
Given 6 months to live he has survived over two years using cannabis as his only medicine. His oncologist knows of his "herbal" remedy and advised him to "keep doing what your doing". It's obvious that his oncologist believes in whole cannabis but won't prescribe marinol.

Yes, Pepper!

I have heard similar accounts for years...

And amen to Echo... Why go corporate when you can go natural?

Bliss,
Ben

"In Lak'ech"
~ Ancient Mayan: "I am another YOU." ~
The Moose

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: the color of herb Reply with quote

jonhomebrewer wrote:
do you remember when you used to buy weed and your friends would ask "is it any good, what does it look like?" and you hoped you could answer "well, its more green than brown." we have a class of smoke here in 'merica we call 'Iowa Ditch' which quite possibly was left over wild hemp from WWII when hemp made a brief comeback. what are some similar terms for the schwaggiest schwag people have resorted to?

remember in that kerouac book when he talks about getting sick from some 'green' uncured mariguana? makes me wonder just what kind of beatnick he was.

"Beer, Australian for breakfast" made that one up myself

"Around Town Brown" "Dirt Weed" "Ditch Weed" "Schitt" and "Cheap Schitt" Cool Used to be (back in the day) when I wouldn't touch that schitt. But hard times and high prices have driven me to it from time to time. Sad
Torkel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My doctor gave me a prescription for marinol a week or so ago. They came to my door by Fedex a couple of days later.

I got the 10mg capsules (balls), 180 of them.

They're different, that's for sure. I've experimented with different doses, so far from 10 to 30mg doses.

When I took 3 - 10mg balls a day or two ago I definately felt the high. One hour after I took them I smoked a bowl of NL and man, what a buzz.

Marinol helps me sleep better than any other man-made medication that I've ever taken so far, but nothing like a potent indica.

Marinol does compare to smoked cannabis, but it does not win! Hands down...

btw, I get this thru the marinol (solvay) indigent program = I don't pay anything for them!

Peace,
Torkel

Miranda vs Arizona (384 U.S. 436, 125): "Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule-making or legislation which would abrogate them."

HAGANS vs LAVINE (415 US 533 N-3,note 5): "Once JURISDICTION is challenged it must be proven by the Plaintiff."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Medical Cannabis, science and law. All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: