THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index
AustraliaBasqueBulgariaCanadaChinaEgyptFranceGreeceIcelandIndiaIndonesiaIrelandJamaicaJapanJordanLatviaMexicoNetherlandsNew Zealand
NorwaySpainPakistanLebanonPeruPolandPeurto RicoRomaniaRussiaSingaporeSouth AfricaSudanSwedenThailandTurkeyUnited KingdomUSAUzbekistan
Marijuana Religion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Cannabis, Religion and History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ferre
Cannabis Sacrament Minister.
Cannabis Sacrament Minister.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:20 pm    Post subject: Marijuana Religion Reply with quote

www.unrequited.net wrote:
Marijuana has held a part in the religious rituals and beliefs of many countries and cultures around the World. This involvement can range from enhancement of religious experiences, to complete worship of 'The Herb'. Here we take a brief look at how Marijuana has featured in spiritual development in its many guises throughout history.

The Indian vedas sang of Cannabis as one of the divine nectars, able to give man anything from good health and long life, to visions of the gods. Tradition in India says that the Gods sent man the Hemp plant so that he might attain delight, courage, and have heightened sexual desires and experiences.

In the context of religion, it is perhaps in the mountains of Tibet and India that hallucinogenic Cannabis preparations really took on in importance. The Tibetans consider Cannabis as sacred. One Mahayana Buddhist tradition believes that during the six steps leading to his enlightenment, Buddha lived on one Hemp seed a day. In Tantric Buddhism, Cannabis plays a very significant role in the meditative ritual used to enable deep meditation and heighten awareness. Marijuana is so widely used in this region that is taken for granted as an everyday necessity!

In Africa, in an ancient tribal ceremony in the Zambesi Valley, participants inhaled from a smoldering pile of Marijuana and later, when tubes and pipes had become involved, it was burnt at an altar. The Kasai tribes of the Congo have revived an old cult in which Hemp, was elevated to a God, a protector against physical and spiritual harm. Marijuana smoking and Hash sniffing cults exist in many parts of East Africa, especially near Lake Victoria.

Marijuana has not really made an impact on Native American religious beliefs. There are of course, a few exceptions!. The Tepecano Indians in NW Mexico sometime use Marijuana when Peyote is not available. It has recently been discovered that Indians in the Mexican states of Veracruz, Hidlago and Puebla, use Cannabis during a communal curing ceremony. Although the ceremony is based mainly on Christian elements, the plant is worshipped as an earth deity and is thought to be alive and to represent a part of the heart of God. The participants in this cult believe that the plant can be dangerous and that it can assume the form of a man's soul, make him ill, enrage him, and even cause death.

Rastafarians - members of a Jamaican messianic movement dating back to the 1930's. In 1974 it was estimated that there was 20,000 in Jamaica alone. Rastafarians belive that the only true God is the late Ethiopian Emperor Haile Selassie (originally known as Ras Tafari), and Ethiopia is the one true Zion. They believe that Adam and Jesus were black and the Scriptures were perverted by white Christian preachers and missionaries. Marijuana is believed to be the biblical weed of wisdom and it is used is many of their rituals. Rastafarians believe in black separatism and advocate a return to Africa, which they regard as the spiritual home of all black people.

The value of Marijuana in folk medicine has been closely tied with its euphoric and hallucinogenic properties. Primitive man, trying all sorts of plant materials as food, must have quickly come to realize the hallucinatory effects of Cannabis. This was an intoxicating introduction to an other-wordly state, often leading to religious beliefs. Thus it was viewed as a gift from the Gods, a form of communion with the spirit world.

http://www.unrequited.net/religion.html

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rev. Chazman
Cannabis Sacrament Minister

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting post. Good info to have. Thanks

Peace
I praise good thoughts, good words, and good deeds and those that are to be thought, spoken, and done. I do accept all good thoughts, good words, and good deeds. I do renounce all evil thoughts, evil words, and evil deeds. ---Avesta: Yasna
---------------------------------------------------
Future Servant of Cannatopia ©2004 - ∞ Rev. Chazman all rights reserved
Ska_Pastora

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey chaz Cool

anyway, that article was interesting to read!
I really had no idea that marijuana was used by so many religions!
I knew it was used by some (like the rastas) but I didnt know it was used by so many!
Thanks for the info!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Rev. Chazman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ska_Pastora wrote:
hey chaz Cool

anyway, that article was interesting to read!
I really had no idea that marijuana was used by so many religions!
I knew it was used by some (like the rastas) but I didnt know it was used by so many!
Thanks for the info!

Hey Ska, glad to see you here. Yeah its been used in many religions, including christian, hebrew, islamic etc. etc.. for thousands of years. You have taken a small step into a much larger arena of information by comming to this web site. welcome

Peace
I praise good thoughts, good words, and good deeds and those that are to be thought, spoken, and done. I do accept all good thoughts, good words, and good deeds. I do renounce all evil thoughts, evil words, and evil deeds. ---Avesta: Yasna
---------------------------------------------------
Future Servant of Cannatopia ©2004 - ∞ Rev. Chazman all rights reserved
Ska_Pastora

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, lets not be hasty... I know a fair amount about the counter culture.
Its how I was raised...
But hopefully... this site will help me learn a little more... and hopefully I'll be able to help you guys learn a little more Very Happy
take it easy!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Boojum

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'you know one of the primary reasons why folks no longer know how widespread the shamanic use of plant drugs was - a chap named sir James George Frazer, who penned a little fantasy called the golden bough - supposedly an exploration of pre-christian myth & religion. Do you know how many times hallucinogenic plants are referred to in that heap of steaming camels faeces - none, zero, zip, zilch. Frazer has managed to avoid all mention of sacred plants, when the archaeological evidence shows that EVERY major pre-christian religion with the exception of judaism utilised some form of psychoactive plant-based sacrament or other. That's the kinda shit we have to contend with, centuries of knowledge wiped out cos some white-haired old fart doesn't want to acknowledge the role plant drugs have played in man's spiritual development. Add to that all the knowledge lost due to the european witch persecution, the usurping of the old faiths by the christian church etc & it's easy to see why the world's in such a shit state.
And that's the day I knew there was this entire life behind things, and... this incredibly benevolent force, that wanted me to know there was no reason to be afraid, ever. Video's a poor excuse. But it helps me remember... and I need to remember... Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world I feel like I can't take it, like my heart's going to cave in.
American Beauty.
charon
regular contributor
regular contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting.

from my own experiences i have to say that cannabis can be a huge aid in meditation. i´ve skipped several steps accidently through the use of cannabis.

it fuckes up my astral traveling, though. if i´m stoned and go to that place - it crawls with demons Evil or Very Mad not a nice surprise. although - cannabis showed me the way to that place. cannabis and a nasty demon who probably thought i´d be easy kill if it managed to get me there while stoned. alas - i saw it for what it was and managed to revolt and push it away. after that i´ve stayed away from the astral plane while stoned.

charon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Cannabis, Religion and History All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: