THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index
AustraliaBasqueBulgariaCanadaChinaEgyptFranceGreeceIcelandIndiaIndonesiaIrelandJamaicaJapanJordanLatviaMexicoNetherlandsNew Zealand
NorwaySpainPakistanLebanonPeruPolandPeurto RicoRomaniaRussiaSingaporeSouth AfricaSudanSwedenThailandTurkeyUnited KingdomUSAUzbekistan
Lost Children: The Age of the Dauphin...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Cannabis, Religion and History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pateticus
Cannabis Sacrament Minister

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Lost Children: The Age of the Dauphin... Reply with quote

In order to further avoid accusations that I'm only into this for the money, I decided to mirror-post the latest addition to my forum website.

Feel free to read and comment as you wish.

This post represents the culmination of the bulk of my research. I warn you, it's a long and deep one. But it represents why I feel this ministry is so important and why running a school is vital to the operations of ministry.

Please bear with me and trust me...you'll probably learn a lot.

I have discussed in previous posts the ingenuity of the early Catholics in the creation of Paradigms in order to forward their beliefs onto others. How most of the bible is the re-telling of Pagan myths with a coat of White Wash.

The story of St. George was a Catholic retelling of the Story of Mithras--which is where we get the term Mithraism.

I have discussed previously, too, the connection between the Friar and the Satyr and connections between Pan and Satan. And it is these connections that I wish to expand on.

But let us please start with Hermes and Dionysus, half-brothers and fathers of Pan.

Under Mithraism, St. Francis is the paradigm for Dionysus and St. Christopher is the paradigm for Hermes.

Dionysus is the story of a Tyrant--a self-made man. It is important to stress that it is only by modern standards that we devote a negative connotation to this term. But for all intents and purposes, someone who obtained leadership in a way that was not 'in tune' with the legislature or society of the time was considered a Tyrant.

Dionysus was an Anti-Societal, be believed that Law and Order were self-destructive influences for they pushed people into believing only one definition of right and wrong. That convenience strips away the challenge of life--failure and success both being essential to the process of learning. He was also hailed as the god of the Underdogs, favored mostly by lower classes and the oppressed. Women, Slaves and Criminals. He gave up a life on Olympus (wealth and power) in order to spend his life among the mortals--this is what made him an Arcadian. Those that followed him--namely, Peisistratus, the only Dionysian to ever reach the title of ruler--were considered Tyrants. Self-made men. For Peisistratus followed Dionysus' lead by becoming a leader of poor men, miners and slaves and essentially bought his way onto the throne.

St. Francis was also a self-made man. He was Assissi's wealthiest taylor and merchant--this is why he's the patron saint of merchants and tradesmen. He gave up all of this wealth and success in order to pursue the life of a pauper, and in doing so, proved to the church of the time that you did not have to be rich in order to be powerful. This is where we see the similarities between the life of St. Francis and the life of Dionysus. Both became rulers not through democracy or bureaucracy, but therough their own unique skills and devotion to the lower class, and more importantly, by giving up all of the priviledges associated with wealth and power.

Dionysus (and St. Francis) represent a specific kind of leadership: The Shaman, the spiritual leader who stays with the tribe or the people that he is teaching. They are tribal-bound, connected to the people that they serve. And it is through careful observation of these people and knowledge of their history that they are blessed with the wisdom that they impart.

Hermes was Dionysus' half-brother and father to Pan, he who is loved by All ('pan' being Greek for 'all'). Hermes was a lone wanderer with many consorts and illegitimate children. Like Dionysus, however, he represents a specific kind of leadership: the Psychopomp. Like Dionysus, Hermes gave up all the powers of Olympus (wealth and power) in order to spend his life with the mortals. But unlike Dionysus, he was not tribal bound--he travelled to and from the tribe that he served: Dionysus' Entourage. Visiting far and distant lands, enlightening people with stories both exotic and adventuresome. He was just as important to the philosophy of teaching as Dionysus was--except where Dionysus provided stability and sanctity within the tribe, Hermes provided adventure and exploration outside of the tribe. Both of these influences--challenge and stability--are necesary in order to teach and learn.

Pan was the child of Hermes and Dryope, an illegitimate, unwanted child (much like his father). Hermes gave Pan to Dionysus to look after--mostly for protection from that oppressive upperclass--while continuing his travels around Arcadia and back to Dionysus' Entourage. Giving Pan the aspect of his life that made him different from all other gods and goddesses: he had two fathers, two teaching influences--the Shaman and the Psychopomp. He was reared by someone who travelled and travelled as his way of life.

He represents the third aspect of leadership: The Chieftain. Unlike his fathers who had to give up a life of wealth and power, the lack of wealth and power was his life. And he was taught to embrace it and enjoy it. He was the leader of all the Satyrs and Maeneds--the Priests and Priestesses of Dionysus. Who were notorious for usurping authority everywhere they went through music, theatre, drunkenness and celebration. He had a really passive form of leadership over the Satyrs--not really issuing laws or exerting any kind of authority, but simply encouraged kindness and acceptance of everyone through unconditional sharing and offering. He was half-human, half-animal. Having a terrible temper and was a fierce fighter when he had to--in fact, it is argued that for the Satyrs, fighting was a form of play--much like how today's tribes still play-fight and spar in order to hone their talents and demonstrate to their enemy that they were something to be feared. But for the most part, he was a gentle and kind influence over the people that followed him.

(By the way, the Female version of Pan--in my opinion--is Eris, the Goddess of Discord--who travelled with her children to bring chaos throughout the world of order (Olympus). Very similar to Pan's role over the Satyrs and Maeneds--except the key difference is that because she was a woman, her role was often played down as a matter of the Male-oriented Ethics of the time. Whereas she and her children often challenged people to think through subtle acts of rebellion (such as the famous Kallisti myth) Pan would invoke the same sense of challenge through celebration and entertainment).

Another story we should take note of here is that of Hephaestus, the deformed and down-trodden god of blacksmiths and artisans. Who often was taken forcefully from his home in Arcadia to Olympus long enough to forge their tools and weapons and then cast down to Arcadia again until he was needed. Like Hermes and Eris, he travelled back and forth from Arcadia to Olympus, but unlike them, he did not do so by choice. And eventually became a very angry and tempermental servant of the gods.

Pan tried to teach his musical talent onto one student: Daphnis. Who ended up lost at sea as a result of being unable to return Pan's loyalty.

The last myth of Pan features the closing line: "Tell the world that the great Pan is dead." This is a shifting in the way of life. Tribal figures like Pan, Dionysus and Hermes were being left behind in favor of politicans, senators and other societals. But I think this last myth was a faking of his death, the staging of his disappearance.

For it is well known that Satan's greatest trick is convincing the world that he no longer existed. And the next time we see Pan, he will be known as Satan.

But back to Hermes...

Autolychus, the Argonaut, was a student of Hermes. His name means "Self-Love", also called the Lone Wolf (it is here that we also start to see the beginning assoication of Werewolves and Vampires--(shapeshifters)--as Shamans and Psychopomps. The Dionysians becoming the upperclass (vampires) who leech off the power and give it to their brood (tribe) and the Hermetics (werewolves) who blend in with the outside world and share it with their pack (tribe)) he could be considered an example of your first Atheist--for he believed that faith in gods was unnecessary. That all you needed in this world was a strong sense of self.

The Catholic Paradigm for Autolychus was Babylas, who was the teacher of St. Christopher. And here is where we see the connection between St. Christopher and Hermes. As well as a dramatic change in the philosophical approach to teaching and mentoring (which will be discussed shortly).

St. Christopher, before his Canonization, was known as Offerus. It was said that he was 7 feet tall and had the head of a dog, a mercenary in Satan's army.

Remember that myth is metaphor and that according to Mithraism all gods are human--that Satan was he who represented a usurping of the dominant paradigm--that Satan was the Catholic version of Pan--he was a follower of Pan. Who bestowed upon Offerus the icon of the dog's head, a symbol of loyalty.

I believe that if Pan (Satan) did have an army it was because the societal world became so oppressive that they had no choice but to become militant. Otherwise the Satyrs (later known as Daemons) would have continued to be the source of entertainment and education that they were in generations previous.

Offerus fought only for those who paid him the most, it didn't matter what side he was on. And it was Babylas that taught him the difference between right and wrong (order and chaos) and convinved him to leave Satan's (Pan's) army to walk people across the river. Where he carried the Christ child and bore the weight of the world--earning the title of Christ Bearer. St. Christopher.

There is one more person to figure into all of this: His name is Ampelos. The Child Consort of Dionysus, the Young Satyr that won his love and loyalty--taught lovingly the art of growing grapes and making wine. Ampelos went on to pass his skills of winery onto all that followed him--like his father--sharing his knowledge with anyone that would listen.

St. Christopher and St. Francis had no male consorts--that we know of. They had followers and students, yes, but they were strictly guarded and quickly initiated into the structure of the Catholic Church. None of them had the bond that Ampelos had with Dionysus or Pan and Autholychus had with Hermes or even the bond that Pan had with Daphnis. Later on, in fact, we should also take note of Pope John Paul's recent de-cannonization of select saints--St. Christopher being one of them.

But, here begins, I think the most dramatic shift in terms of Mentoring and Teaching. What I refer to as the age of the Dauphin, Lost and Forgotten Kings.

Hermes, as I've said, had many consorts and illegitimate children. The most famous of which being Pan...and we all saw what happened to him. With the uprise of society and legislative contol, he became evil--or at least, seen as evil--unliked, unwanted and hated.

Dionysus had one child, one student, of his own--Ampelos.

Autolychus, a follower of Hermes, went on to spend his life wandering and alone.

Hephaestus was the used and deformed child of the Olympians who would grow only to be misunderstood by them.

And Daphnis, student of Pan, ended up lost at sea.

I maintain that it was the success of Alexander the Great, and the influence of his father (Prince Philip) and teacher (Aristotle) that may have inspired the transition of Pan to Satan.

The Catholics saw how this unique male-male influence engineered a leader like Alexander. I believe, also, that Plato and those who followed him feared the same influence of mentoring and leadership, inspiring the creation of systemized education and government: The Academy and the Republic.

I think, one or the other, feared the creation of another Alexander and did everything they could to keep people from raising children the same way--with one mentor (psychopomp) and father (shaman). So they took everything that was destructive about Pan (chaos, disorder, drunkenness, anger, lechery) and made them into Satan, resulting in homophobia, racism and other forms of hate and societal conformity.

Ampelos, Daphnis, Autolychus, Hephaestus...and later on Louis XVII, where we get the term Dauphin--all represent wayward and lost children. And these stories represent, very plainly I think, what happens when we leave our children behind, without mentors and without teachers, stripping away the valueable infuence of the shaman and the psychopomp. They end up dead, forgotten and wandering.

I believe that the basic difference between Aristotle and Plato was this: Do you place teachers above your children or with them. Aristotle taught that students and teachers were equal--this was an Arcadian ethic. The essential belief of Peripatetic teaching is that the teacher stays with the child, and that life--all life--is a learning process.

When Aristotle was charged with Impiety--a very easy charge to levy against someone who believed in No Limits Teaching--effectively shutting down the Lyceum, Plato was given the necessary margin to create his own school (the Academy).

Plato instituted the structured and systemized the process of teaching, preaching emotional distance and discipline over involvement and instruction. Where we also have the establishment of organized schooling as we know it today.

Students of Aristotle were left to become wanderers and shapeshifters. Lurking in the foot-notes and bibliographies, waiting for someone to come along and find them.

Someone like me.

Pateticus

This post and others like it can be found at my forum:

http://pateticus.proboards21.com/

Wink
http://members.cox.net/pateticus/
Pateticus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Oh, yeah, one more thing... Reply with quote

The American Folktale version of Hermes is Johnny Appleseed...and this is how we're able to tie in the whole cannabis thing.

Hermes would wander the world scattering 'seeds of knowledge', ushering the living into the world of the dead by listening to and recording their stories, hence making people 'immortals'.

He was also responsible for bringing people pleasent dreams and visions, which is how he earned the term "psycopomp".

Pateticus

Wink
http://members.cox.net/pateticus/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Cannabis, Religion and History All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: