THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index
AustraliaBasqueBulgariaCanadaChinaEgyptFranceGreeceIcelandIndiaIndonesiaIrelandJamaicaJapanJordanLatviaMexicoNetherlandsNew Zealand
NorwaySpainPakistanLebanonPeruPolandPeurto RicoRomaniaRussiaSingaporeSouth AfricaSudanSwedenThailandTurkeyUnited KingdomUSAUzbekistan
lemurs use millipedes for a narcotic effect

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lilli
Cannabis Sacrament Minister

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:54 am    Post subject: lemurs use millipedes for a narcotic effect Reply with quote

The giant millipede
In the wild, people have observed animals using natural substances in order to make themselves feel better. One such example, exhibited by primates across different continents, is the use of millipedes to eradicate skin pests.

Capuchins in Venezuela and lemurs in Madagascar have all been observed rolling millipedes around so that they release their defensive toxins. They then rub themselves all over with the millipede and even suck it, causing a narcotic effect.

Scientists have shown that the blend of chemicals released by the millipede do indeed repel insects and other pests. So, while these primates fight off unwanted guests, they receive a natural high in the process!
http://www.livingrainforest.org/about/animals/millipede
" I pass to you the torch that Christ once passed to me,others are still in the dark an need the light to see"
Lilli

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:06 am    Post subject: Even the Birds and the bees do it Reply with quote

Animals like to get high too, but ants choose booze - 0 comments
Posted by: PJ Kix

SANTA FE, N.M. (Wireless Flash) -- The term "get off your high horse" has an all-too literal meaning for Hawaii's marijuana farmers.
According to a new book, "Animals And Psychedelics" (Park Street Press), if Hawaiian pot farmers aren't careful to keep horses and cows away from their weed, they can lose their entire crop to the thieving critters.

Even worse, the livestock tends to be less lively after eating the wacky weed, walking with a "rolling, swaying gait."

Although there are animals besides humans who get high on pot, elephants and bees prefer to get themselves blitzed on fermented fruit and flowers and the mongoose chews morning glory seeds when he wants to "tune in, turn on and drop out."

Finally, some species of ants like getting drunk off beetle secretions and, in dire situations, are more concerned with protecting their beetle booze than their queen.
" I pass to you the torch that Christ once passed to me,others are still in the dark an need the light to see"
Romadon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giant Millipede Shocked

Last edited by Romadon on Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
sibannac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say i fancy rolling millipedes. Interesting though, YUCK!!!!

banana banana
indicaspice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting article, but I agree with sibannac. My flesh is already crawling....lol

when life hands you a lemon, make lemonade
odge
High and aware
High and aware

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject: monkey business Reply with quote

hahahaha i love this thread!

I saw a wildlife program not long ago all about this subject. One of the most humorous groups featured were the monkeys on Gibralter getting drunk and lairy! They would swoop on the tourist's booze and drink themselves into oblivion. The really interesting thing that was noted is that Monkey drinking behaviour mirrors human drinking behaviour very closely. In a population of monkeys the same percentage as humans will be tee-total, the same percentage will drink a little and the same percentage will drink to excess and get violent/ill etc.

very amusing stuff thanks!

x odge x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: