THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index
AustraliaBasqueBulgariaCanadaChinaEgyptFranceGreeceIcelandIndiaIndonesiaIrelandJamaicaJapanJordanLatviaMexicoNetherlandsNew Zealand
NorwaySpainPakistanLebanonPeruPolandPeurto RicoRomaniaRussiaSingaporeSouth AfricaSudanSwedenThailandTurkeyUnited KingdomUSAUzbekistan
Legal marijuana campaign starts again in Nevada

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Legislation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ferre
Cannabis Sacrament Minister.
Cannabis Sacrament Minister.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:31 am    Post subject: Legal marijuana campaign starts again in Nevada Reply with quote

Quote:
02-18 ) 17:41 PST CARSON CITY, Nev. (AP) --
An initiative petition to legalize possession of up to 1 ounce of marijuana in Nevada was filed Wednesday with the secretary of state's office -- a follow-up to a similar measure's rejected by voters in 2002.

The Committee to Regulate and Control Marijuana, formed in Nevada this year by the national Marijuana Policy Project, wants to make Nevada the first state in the nation to legalize possession of marijuana.

"We're filing this initiative because current marijuana laws don't work," said committee spokeswoman Jennifer Knight. "The 2004 marijuana initiative will reduce teenage marijuana use by strictly regulating marijuana."

The proposal would allow private use by adults of up to 1 ounce of marijuana, and increase penalties for providing marijuana to minors or for causing a fatal accident while driving under the influence of the substance.

Sale of marijuana would be taxed, and revenue would be earmarked for drug and alcohol treatment and education programs.

The initiative first must qualify for the ballot by collecting signatures of 51,244 registered voters by June 15. If the initiative qualifies for the November ballot and passes, it would have to pass again in 2006 to become part of the constitution.

The 2002 campaign, called Nevadans for Responsible Law Enforcement, qualified a petition with 110,000 signatures seeking to legalize possession of up to 3 ounces of marijuana. The proponents tried to tie the issue to the medical use of marijuana, which is legal in Nevada, by alleging patients couldn't get the drug because of the state's stringent laws and the inability to purchase plants from the state.

But a coalition of law enforcement and citizens groups, bolstered by independent advertising from the Office of National Drug Control Policy, successfully blocked its passage, with 61 percent voting no and only 39 percent in support. Marijuana foes vowed to win again this year.

"It's a public safety issue, whether it's 3 ounces or 1 ounce," said Sandy Heverly, executive director of Stop DUI. "We do not need to legalize another drug that impairs."

Heverly said her coalition, Nevadans Against Legalizing Marijuana, will meet Feb. 26 to come up with a strategy to defeat the new initiative. She said she is hopeful John Walters, the federal drug czar, will again visit the state in opposition to the initiative.

The Marijuana Policy Project, based in Washington, D.C., poured about $2 million into the 2002 campaign.

The project has provided $150,000 to the local committee for the latest effort, and the project's foundation has been running a television ad that states 67 percent of Nevada high school seniors have tried marijuana compared to 28 percent of those in the Netherlands, where the drug is legal.

Knight said the new initiative would keep drugs out of the hands of dealers by creating a state-regulated system.

"It's easier for my son to get marijuana right now than if he went to the store to try to get tobacco," Knight said, referring to her 11-year-old son.

Andy Anderson, former president of the Nevada Conference of Police and Sheriffs, worked on the 2002 initiative and will serve as chairman of this year's effort. The Southwest Group, a political consulting firm founded by Billy Rogers, will provide guidance and office space to the campaign. Rogers headed the initiative in 2002.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/02/18/state1425EST0077.DTL

I'd say support that one! Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rev. Chazman
Cannabis Sacrament Minister

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats great as it is...

But in a tax situation, I have to wonder what they will say about growing your own? Will it be something like the ability we have now to produce a limited amount of beer & wine in our homes legaly?

I like the idea of eliminating the need to go to "dealers" to get your cannabis. These people usualy sell other things to, thats the real danger of smokers being introduced to other drugs. Legalize cannabis and you remove these drug peddlers from the equation.

Anyway its a great start. I hope they win. Thanks for the post.

Peace
THC-Ministry "we use Cannabis religiously and you can to" http://www.thc-ministry.org/
Take nothing but memories, Leave nothing but footprints.
CDXX Peace Time IV:XX ** Rev.Chazman-Cannabis Sacrament Minister
Lilli

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I like the idea of eliminating the need to go to "dealers" to get your cannabis. These people usualy sell other things to, thats the real danger of smokers being introduced to other drugs. Legalize cannabis and you remove these drug peddlers from the equation.

And I will raise up for them a plant of renown, and they shall be no more consumed with hunger in the land, neither bear the shame of the heathen any more. -- Ezekiel 34:29
" I pass to you the torch that Christ once passed to me,others are still in the dark an need the light to see"
Rev. Chazman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen Smile
THC-Ministry "we use Cannabis religiously and you can to" http://www.thc-ministry.org/
Take nothing but memories, Leave nothing but footprints.
CDXX Peace Time IV:XX ** Rev.Chazman-Cannabis Sacrament Minister
Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Legislation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: