THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index
AustraliaBasqueBulgariaCanadaChinaEgyptFranceGreeceIcelandIndiaIndonesiaIrelandJamaicaJapanJordanLatviaMexicoNetherlandsNew Zealand
NorwaySpainPakistanLebanonPeruPolandPeurto RicoRomaniaRussiaSingaporeSouth AfricaSudanSwedenThailandTurkeyUnited KingdomUSAUzbekistan
Killed by cannabis?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Cannabis news
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Echo
Cannabis Sacrament Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Killed by cannabis? Reply with quote

Click here for the full story

I bring this article to your attention. A 36 years old man is said to have been killed by cannabis toxicity. I cannot help but think that somebody is trying to terrorize us Rolling Eyes

Echo

Boojum

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh....

I've been going round message boards debunking this one (the sigh wasn't the fact that you posted it, but that the story exists & is spreading)

The 2 scientists that have concluded it was cannabis toxicity, Dr Phillip Guy and Prof John Henry are without any scientific credibility regarding cannabis, google search their names & see for yourself.

There has, in my knowledge, only been one real scientific study into the toxicity of cannabis, I'll post that at the end of this message.

This is just another lie being disseminated by the UK tabloid press in the run up to the reclassification on the 29th (don't you think it's a bit of a coincidence that the first cannabis death in over ten thosand years of humans using it happens a few days before it's due to be downgraded). Just like the gateway myth and the so-called link with psychosis, this is just another new milennium reefer madness story.

Here's the toxicity study.
Quote:
TESTING CANNABIS ON DOGS
Through the courtesy of Messrs. Parke. Davis and Co., manufacturing chemists of London and Detroit. Michigan, U.S.A., we are enabled to reproduce a clear pharmacological study of the drug by E. M. Houghton, Ph.C., M.D.; and H. C. Hamilton. M.S (Excerpt from an article in the "American Journal of Pharmacy" for January 1908.) From several samples of Cannabis Americana fluid, extracts and solid extracts were prepared according to the U.S.P., and were tested upon animals for physiological activity.

The method of assay, which has previously been called to the attention of this Society, is that which one of us (Houghton) devised and has employed for the past twelve years. This method consists essentially in the careful observation of the physiological effects produced upon dogs from the internal administration of the preparation of the drug under test.

In applying the test, the standard dose (0.01 gram per kilo weight) (in form of solid extract for convenience) is administered internally in a small capsule. The dog's tongue is drawn forward between the teeth with the left hand and the capsule placed on the back part of the tongue with the right hand. The tongue is then quickly released and the capsule is swallowed with ease. In order that the drug may be rapidly absorbed, food should be withheld for twenty-four hours before the test and an efficient cathartic given if needed.

Within a comparatively short time the dog begins to show the characteristic action of the drug. There are three typical effects to be noticed from active extracts on susceptible animals: first a stage excitability, then a stage of inco-ordination, followed by a period of drowsiness.. The first of these is so dependent on the characteristics of the dog used that it's of little value for judging the activity of the drug, while with only a few exceptions the second, or the stage of inco-ordination, invariably follows in one or two hours; the dog loses control of its legs and of the muscles supporting its head, so that when nothing occurs to attract its attention its head will droop, its body sway, and, when severely affected, the animal will stagger and fall, the intoxication being peculiarly suggestive and striking.

When an active extract is given to a susceptible animal, in the smallest dose that will produce any perceptible effect, one must watch closely for the slightest trace of incoordination, lack of attention. or drowsiness. It is particularly necessary for the animals to be confined in a room there nothing will excite them, since when their attention is drawn to anything of interest the typical effect of the drug may disappear.

Previous to the adoption of the physiological test over twelve years ago, we were often annoyed by complaints of physicians that certain lots of drugs were inert; in fact some hospitals, before accepting their supplies of hemp preparations, asked for samples in order to make rough tests upon their patients before ordering. Since the adoption of the test we have not had a well-authenticated report of inactivity, although many tons of the various preparations of Cannabis Indica have been tested and supplied for medicinal purposes.

At the beginning of our observations careful search of the literature on the subject was made to determine the toxicity of the hemp. Not a single case of fatal poisoning have we been able to find reported, although often alarming symptoms may occur.

A dog weighting 25 pounds received an injection of two ounces of an active U.S.P. fluid extract in the jugular vein with the expectation that it would certainly be sufficient to produce death. To our surprise the animal, after being unconscious for about a day and a half, recovered completely. This dog received. not alone the active constituents of the drug, but also the amount of alcohol contained in the fluid extract. Another dog received about 7 grams of Solid Extract Cannabis with the same result. We have never been able to give an animal a sufficient quantity of a U.S.P. or other preparation of the Cannabis (Indica Arnericana) to produce death.

CONCLUSIONS
The effects of this drug are said to be due chiefly to its action upon the central nervous system. It first produces a state of excitement similar to that of the initial stage of acute alcoholism. This excitement of the motor areas and other lower centres in the brain, according to W. E. Dixon, of the University of Cambridge, "is not the result of direct stimulation of these, but is due to depression of the highest and controlling centres. At all events there is a depression of the highest centres, and this is shown by diminished efficiency in the performance of mental work, by inability to concentrate attention, and by feeble judgment."

In lower animals the effects of Cannabis Indica resemble those in man, and present the same variations. A stage of exaltation with increased movements is sometimes present, and is followed by depression. lassitude and sleep. Reflex excitability is first increased and then diminished. Cannabis Indica differs from opium in producing no disturbance of digestion and no constipation. The heart is generally accelerated in man when the drug is smoked. Its intravenous injection into animals slows the pulse, partly through inhibitory stimulation and partly through direct action upon the heart muscle. The pupil is generally somewhat dilated. Death from acute poisoning is extremely rare, and recovery has occurred after enormous doses. The continued abuse of hashish by natives of the East sometimes leads to mania and dementia, but does not cause the same disturbance of nutrition that opium does; and the habitual use of small quantities, which is almost universal in some Eastern countries, does not appear to be detrimental to health. Cannabis Americana is employed for the same medicinal purposes as Cannabis Indica, which is frequently used as a hypnotic in cases of sleeplessness, in nervous exhaustion, and as a sedative in patients suffering from pain. Its greatest use has perhaps been in the treatment of various nervous and mental diseases, although it is found as an ingredient in many cough mixtures. In general, Cannabis Arnericana can be used when a mild hypnotic dr sedative is indicated, as it is said not to disturb digestion. and it produces no subsequent nausea and depression. It is of use in cases of migraine, particularly when opium in contra-indicated. It is recommended in paralysis agitans to quiet the tremors, in spasm of the bladder, and in sexual impotence not the result of organic disease, especially in combination with nux vomica and ergot. The imported drug varies extremely in activity and much of it is practically inert or flagrantly adulterated.

The writer desires to acknowledge the able assistance given him in preparing the above notes by Mr. E.M. Holmes, F.L.S., and Mr. S. Jamieson, M.P.S. (Messrs. Parke. Davis and Co.). Readers requiring further information on the subject are referred to the British Pharmaceutical Codex (1907) and Squire's "Companion to the British Pharmacopoeia," recently published.

And that's the day I knew there was this entire life behind things, and... this incredibly benevolent force, that wanted me to know there was no reason to be afraid, ever. Video's a poor excuse. But it helps me remember... and I need to remember... Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world I feel like I can't take it, like my heart's going to cave in.
American Beauty.
Rev. Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work there Boojum
Smile

Use the Cannabis as a Sacrament ;
http://www.thc-ministery-eire.tk

http://www.3mz.utvinternet.com
Echo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boojum, my friend... from experience I know that I am far more likely to be killed by water than by cannabis. You know. We all know. Still these anti-pot *news* make it to the papers (in this instance Daily Record) and are read by many people, some of whom may actually belive what they read. It's important we are aware of the kind of *information* people are fed with to be able to counteract them. Your article served to this purpose. Thank you.

I wonder whether the *experts* themselves (Michael Howells) belive what they say. I wonder Rolling Eyes
Echo

Boojum

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another little snippet of info the LCA sent me, every fact we know is a fact we can spread, and the more facts there are out there, the less our governments will be able to hide behind lies.

LOL, in the immortal words of wolfie smith, POWER TO THE PEOPLE

Here's the link (notice how I cunningly left it til the end so you'd have to read my drivel first Wink )

http://www.cannabinoid.com/boards/msg1x24154.shtml
And that's the day I knew there was this entire life behind things, and... this incredibly benevolent force, that wanted me to know there was no reason to be afraid, ever. Video's a poor excuse. But it helps me remember... and I need to remember... Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world I feel like I can't take it, like my heart's going to cave in.
American Beauty.
Rev. Chazman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if we could get some letters to the editors sent in to papers that discuss the true facts involving this report and cannabis in general.. Would they print some of them i wonder?

Peace
THC-Ministry "we use Cannabis religiously and you can to" http://www.thc-ministry.org/
Take nothing but memories, Leave nothing but footprints.
CDXX Peace Time IV:XX ** Rev.Chazman-Cannabis Sacrament Minister
Future King of Cannatopia ™ © 2004 Rev. Chazman all rights reserved

Last edited by Rev. Chazman on Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Lilli

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just read it what a crock a bs. Nice work booj keep up the good fight.
" I pass to you the torch that Christ once passed to me, others are still in the dark an need the light to see"
Boojum

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers lilli.

And yeah, rev - the LCA are collecting more information and sending it out to the press, as I understand from another board, but their resources are a bit stretched at the mo what with the campaign to free Chris (there's a demo in London tomorrow by the way, was gonna be outside parliament but the LCA have agreed to move it down whitehall after requests from the police - cos we're REASONABLE!!!)

Maybe one of you guys in the US could submit an article to your press about how the british tabloids are printing lies as propaganda before decriminalisation, against all current scientific findings, kinda a pre-emptive strike before the story gets out over there.
American Beauty.
Urbanhog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying it can't happen, only that it obviously is very very rare. It's also possible other factors were involved that we aren't aware of..

according from this link:

http://www.artistictreasure.com/medicalmary.html

Quote:
........The low toxicity of THECA [CANNABIS] is best indicated by its widespread use with very few reports of anything even approaching an overdose. Occasionally, people may get too "high" for their psychic comfort, but their bodies continue to function fairly normally. The dosage sufficient to kill half of the organisms tested (LD50) for orally ingested THECA is approximately 1 g/kg of body weight.

Simply interpreted, this means an average sized human would have to consume 50-100 g of pure THECA to reach the LD50 level. Since high-potency Cannabis contains approximately 10% THECA, a person would have to eat at least 500-1,000 g of this marijuana before having a 50% chance of death.

A 1 g marijuana cigarette of 10% THECA Cannabis contains 100 mg of THECA and is usually shared among several smokers. Clinically effective oral doses for the relief of nausea start at 5-10 mg. This means that, even accounting for pyrolytic decomposition and smoke loss, there is a several-thousandfold difference between an effective dose of THECA and a potentially lethal one! For alcohol, this difference is only about twenty fold. Other common non-prescription drugs, such as aspirin, have similar relatively narrow margins of safe use....

well..... *shrugs* Rolling Eyes [/url]
is a difference. - Bill Hicks
The GCW

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No autopsy.

They don't have a clue.

Even if 1 person dies in over 5,000 years of documented use, it is still uncivilized to cage a human for using a plant that God created and said was good on the very 1st page of the Bible.

Show Me a doctor who disregards the negative health consequences of being caged, so to protect ones health from using cannabis, and I'll show You a quack.

Kaneh bosm is a God Awesome blessing.
wizard
getting into high spirits
getting into high spirits

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lethal dose for aspirin is about 10-1 and for cannabis about 40 000 -1
according to the book the science of marijuana. So dont take aspirin !
Smoke a jpint instead it helps and it´s safer.
Wizard
-=//Mika~Pants\\=-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

If these are the toxicity levels that kill,..
I'm the WALKING DEAD!!!

Boo!

Love to all,..
Rev Mika rocker
RevJoe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: ... Reply with quote

Mika,I showed a few friends of mine this photo that you have there and what we did was put the makeup on me to see how close that guy really does look like me...And not just one person said that it has to me...They all said that it had to be me...But I play drums."So it can't be me...So my
question to you is WHO IS that guy???

"Now for this death...O.k lets just say it is true... Then it would be the First
death in the history of Cannabis Use...Not bad when you think that there is will over a 1000 Deaths a year just by using 222s or up to 5000 to 10.000 deaths a year by using T3s and even Motrin...

Look at it this way: EVERY Pain killer that MAN made has Will over 1000 Deaths from using them...Each one has KILLED will over 1000 people.
Most ever Drug that man made has coused deaths...You guys do the math.

Now here is ONE for you all to think about...There was a report that after this so called death that proved that person that died was on OTHER MEDS
But then the Report was never seen or heard of again...I got this from Ted's Book store here in Victoria...Ted owns the Cannabis Buyers Club Of Canada...And he even ran for mayor here." What there saying is that they CUT that person off of all his other Meds...He's been on them for years...SO they just cut them all off and told him to smoke a jpint "(So to speak)...And this guy has ever even smoked a Cigarette or a Joint befoe in his life. And he was also a big time drinker..."You GUYS getting the picture yet???NO O.k let me brake it down for you all.

(A)They took him off all his other meds...(What was he on)?Why was he taking Meds in the first place?

(B)Not only was this guy not heathly he was also very sick...(What kind of illness did he have?

(C)He was allowed to drink alcohol will he was being tested.(Did he really die of Cannabis OR was it really from Alcohol poisoning...(It hasn't been ruled out yet)But why did they put an end to that report?

(B)And your right those so called Doctors Was also known Not to like or was fighting against Cannabis use from the start...And They even said so."

(c)Within 3 months of not founding anything wrong with cannabis they started making him take some (I believe it was something for counteracting the Cannabis effects (The High Parts)...Maybe that killed him.

Were it all ends up is that they didn't truly know how he died...But they did know that he smoked a jpint Right before he died...SO They the stupid
so called Doctors Just said he died from Cannabis Toxicings...Ya right."
MANY people would like to know why did you start giving him that counter
acting drug for the Cannabis effects...And WHAT was that Drug Called?Or is it a NEW drug that they just made-thats not even on the market yet?
WHAT was it...They said it wasn't important to know that."Sure it is because then you CAN"T Honestly rule it out as the couse of death...Why not tell us? They just said it wasn't important to know what it was...

"I was ONE of the first persons to be a Member of BOTH the:B.C. Compassion Club Society And the Cannabis Buyers Club of Canada...And
we do get Newsletters from time to time."And I even talk with Ms.Black at less Once a month about things just like this...

This report is nothing but a joke and it has no real bases for Cannabis Use.
There is just why to many questions on how they did their testing and what they been giving him while he was been tested...They even said that they were giving him something else BUT said they don't think it had any part of this case OR anything to do with his Death...Really? What are they hiding my follow Green people...SO everything that I said here is out on the Web...Just go and look for it. I get my info Right from the top people thats being fighting for ALL OF USE...I believe them way more then anyone else.......Thats their job to be 100% informed about all of this."

"SO I'll just say that Please just take this for what it is also...And if you ever had meet MS.Blown Or Ted..."The whole world knows who they are BUT the whole world doesn't have ONE clue who these so called Doctors are???Think about that one...Then you would know that they don't have to lie to anyone about anything about the use of Cannabis..."Oh,Well now its time for me to test this great Smoke that I got last night...ITS called "ICE"
I have never tried it before...But what I heard it was very Good. SO I guess if I'm not back on here within the hour...YOU know Rev.Joe is talking to GOD on CLoud 9 grins

-=//Mika~Pants\\=- wrote:
If these are the toxicity levels that kill,..
I'm the WALKING DEAD!!!

Boo!

Love to all,..
Rev Mika rocker
CrookedEye

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Helps to keep the people arguing... Reply with quote

By having the people fighting about it, it takes the focus off the simple fact that we don't have the right to choose. If people would stop worrying about what is harmful to everyone else, then we could choose what we did and it would be our responsibilities as adults to get informed ourselves. Our government wants to control everything we see and do, so they can useus to make money. I say everyone should quit working their jobs and knock down all the buildings. Then we should return to working with nature and the earth.

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
indicaspice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten to one the guy was doing other stuff besides cannabis.

when life hands you a lemon, make lemonade
Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Cannabis news All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: