THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index
Is Normal Now A Mental Illness?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Health and Food issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Torkel
Cannabis Sacrament Minister

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Is Normal Now A Mental Illness? Reply with quote

Quote:
Is Normal Now A Mental Illness?

Added: (Tue Sep 27 2005)

Is your child easily distracted? Or perhaps he talks excessively, or can become impatient?

Most, if not all, parents would perhaps answer yes to these questions, as they are, what many of us believe to be, normal expressions of child behaviour.

Not so, according to Psychiatry. It could be that your child has "Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder", a "disease" of the mind that could require medical treatment.

The American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistics Manual (DSM, version IV), the psychiatrist's handbook, lists a number of behavioural traits, such as these, that it considers abnormal in children. Others include: "often has difficulty awaiting turn", "often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly", and "often has difficulty playing or engaging in leisure activities quietly".

'It's total fraud', says Michael Westen, editor of Psychbusters (groups.msn.com/psychbusters), an online activist group that was set up in 2000 to 'decode Psychiatric propaganda'. 'This is not a disease and these are not "diagnostic criteria." These are subjective judgments aimed at coercing a person to follow rules of "proper conduct" made by others with power. The list could just as easily contain: fails to be white, often does not attend a Christian church, tends to be smaller, younger, and unable to do adult tasks.'

'For a disease to exist there must be a tangible, objective physical abnormality that can be determined by a test,' says neurologist Dr. Fred Baughman. 'Such as, but not limited to, a blood or urine test, X-Ray, brain scan or biopsy. All reputable doctors would agree: No physical abnormality, no disease. In psychiatry, no test or brain scan exists to prove that a 'mental disorder' is a physical disease.'

Baughman, from California, and Fellow of the American Academy of Neurology, is one of an ever-growing number of campaigners fighting to expose the lies within the psychiatric industry. An adult & child neurologist of some 35 years, Dr. Baughman is vocal when coming up against misleading research or downright fraud palmed off as "science". 'They made a list of the most common symptoms of emotional discomfiture of children, those which bother teachers and parents most, and in a stroke that could not be more devoid of science or Hippocratic motive--termed them a "disease". Twenty five years of research, not deserving of the term "research", has failed to validate ADD/ADHD as a disease. Tragically--the "epidemic" having grown from 500 thousand in 1985 to between 5 and 7 million today--this remains the state of the "science" of ADHD.'

Despite there being no scientific basis for ADHD, prescriptions of Methylphenidate - most commonly sold as Ritalin - rose to 359,100 last year, a rise of 344,400 since 1995. Figures from the Prescriptions Pricing Authority reveal that there has been a 180-fold increase in prescriptions since 1991 when only 2,000 were issued in England.

Ritalin, which is pharmacologically similar to Cocaine, is a favoured treatment option for those labelled with ADHD, yet critics claim it is a harmful drug that can cause neurological defects and further behavioural difficulties. Earlier this year, researchers in Texas found a link between Ritalin use and chromosome abnormalities - occurrences associated with increased risks of cancer and other adverse health effects.

'The simple fact is that there is absolutely no reliable test that accurately distinguishes between children that are supposed to have "ADHD" and those that are not', says Dr. John Breeding, author of "The Wildest Colts Make The Best Horses". To counter the claim that ADHD is a valid medical condition that requires medical treatment, Breeding encourages parents to demand conclusive scientific evidence. For there simply isn't any.

Elliot S. Valenstien, Ph.D., Professor Emeritus of Psychology and Neuroscience at the University of Michigan also agrees. 'Contrary to what is often claimed, no biochemical, anatomical, or functional signs have been found that reliably distinguish the brains of mental patients.'

'I am constantly amazed by how many patients who come to see me believe or want to believe that their difficulties are biologic and can be relieved by a pill,' says psychiatrist Dr. David Kaiser. 'This is despite the fact that modern psychiatry has yet to convincingly prove the genetic/biologic cause of any single mental illness. However, this does not stop psychiatry from making essentially unproven claims that depression, bipolar illness, anxiety disorders, alcoholism and a host of other disorders are in fact primarily biologic and probably genetic in origin, and that it is only a matter of time until all this is proven. This kind of faith in science and progress is staggering, not to mention naive and perhaps delusional.'

'There are many reasons why a child can become inattentive or hyperactive," says Michael Westen. 'Nutritional deficiencies or a poor diet are often underlying problems. There can be difficulties in the home, vision problems, even a lack of sleep. There can be many others. Yet instead of looking at all these issues, Psychiatry ignores them, inventing a one-size-fits-all "disease" that requires "medication".'

'Disingenuous comparisons between physical and mental illness and medicine are simply part of psychiatry's orchestrated but fraudulent public relations and marketing campaign,' says Dr. Baughman.

Many seem to share these views including the late Dr. Loren Mosher, a noted psychiatrist and clinical professor of Psychiatry at the University of California, San Diego, and former Chief of the Center for Studies of Schizophrenia at the National Institute of Mental Health. Mosher famously resigned from the American Psychiatric Association in 1998 due to Psychiatry's growing "unholy alliance" with the multi-billion dollar pharmaceutical industry.

'Psychiatry has become drug dependent (that is, devoted to pill pushing) at all levels - private practitioners, public system psychiatrists, university faculty and organizationally,' Mosher wrote before attacking the field as being mechanistic, reductionistic, tunnel-visioned and dehumanising.

'Modern psychiatry has forgotten the Hippocratic principle,' Mosher once wrote. 'Above all, do no harm.'

http://www.pressbox.co.uk/detailed/Health/Is_Normal_Now_A_Mental_Illness__37581.html

Peace,
Torkel

Miranda vs Arizona (384 U.S. 436, 125): "Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule-making or legislation which would abrogate them."

HAGANS vs LAVINE (415 US 533 N-3,note 5): "Once JURISDICTION is challenged it must be proven by the Plaintiff."
Brother Adam

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never needed any kind of evidence to tell me that ADD and ADHD are a bunch of bullshit. The so-called "symptoms" are the natural behaviors of every child on the planet. This is another lemming epedemic. Nobody thinks for themselves any more....opinions are granted by powers that be and blindly accepted as truth without even knowledge of the source. They are no longer derived by an intellectual thought process.

“Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives.”

-James Madison

Police officers acquitted for beating a 64 yr old man recently in New Orleans. In the words of their defense attorney "all he had to do was comply"....and they wouldn't have fractured his face.
Mystic Power
admin THC-Ministry YahooGroup

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal fave is Oppositional Defiant Disorder ...

Since when is being a #&% brat a mental illness...?

When I was little, I suffered from Oppositional Defiant Disorder ...

...and suffered even MORE when my Mom had had ENOUGH!!!

rofl

"In Lak'ech"
~ Ancient Mayan: "I am another YOU." ~
Brother Adam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny......there were two times I could have been diagnosed with this magical new disease, but since it didn't FRICKIN EXIST when I was in elementary school, they looked elsewhere. First problem.....lack of attention, even anger towards studies due to inability to see the blackboard properly. Fix? Glasses and a front row seat. Second problem....exhibiting boredome, failure to stay on task, failure to pay attention, problem with authority, etc. Second solution? IQ test, then gifted student program. I was bored to death in school, and being in that gifted class made a BIG difference....Suddenly we weren't re-hashing basic arithmetic, reading, and spelling all day long. That only lasted until the end of elementary school though...there were no further programs, and guess who lost interest again?

Anyway, the point is, the answer is not going to come in the form of a pill.....EVER. Back then, people used logic and looked for real world answers to the problem.

“Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives.”

-James Madison

Police officers acquitted for beating a 64 yr old man recently in New Orleans. In the words of their defense attorney "all he had to do was comply"....and they wouldn't have fractured his face.
Mystic Power

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always enjoyed Dr. Wayne Dyer.

I've seen him tell two stories that I like a lot:

1. When he was still doing psychological counselling, years ago, he had a client who suffered from depression...one day, he asked her:

DYER:
Have you noticed yourself being more depressed, lately?

CLIENT: Yes. Yes, I have.

DYER: And how 'bout the NOTICER...? Is the NOTICER also depressed?

2. The second was during one of his PBS appearances.

He said, "Can anyone bring me a bucket of depression...? Or a bucket of stress...? No, you can't, because they do not exist, except as a THOUGHT."

Change your thoughts, and you change your world.
Therefore...

FOLLOW YOUR BLISS!
Ben

"In Lak'ech"
~ Ancient Mayan: "I am another YOU." ~
HighRising

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly it! It's all in your head!
Your perspective makes all the difference. Depression is a state of mind, rather than a disease.

As for ADD, as always, it is just the same old thing. People wanting a simple prescribed solution to their problems, be it losing weight or unruly children - instead of looking for the logical, real world solution.
indicaspice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My personal fave is Oppositional Defiant Disorder ...
We have a lot of that at my school. So if I say no does that mean I have Oppositional Defiant Disorder?

NO Deep integration!

What worries you masters you.

Haddon W. Robinson
Brother Adam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, nothing is ever oppositional or defiant......especially not me, and I won't listen to any more, you can't make me. Laughing

-James Madison

Dreamz0fSafty

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO offense or anything but i think ADHD exists as well as depression disorders and anxiety disorders it can be proved on a neuroligical point of view when the neuro transmitters in your brain that induce the feeling of depression or anxiety are produced in excessive ammounts which isnt normal(causing a disorder) would then cause you to have excessive ammounts of depression or anxiety. But then there is the mind set if you can believe this then maby you know generaly what might be causing these problems. Knowing the cause can lead to a fix if your brain can produce these neuro transmitters that will cause/induce depression it can produce neuro transmitters that will cause/induce the oposit. Like mind over matter the person has to be pretty well practised to consiously produce these neuro transmitters to counter act the negative affects of the others i.e. depression or anxiety. But its possible in my opinion and expierence. I mean I have been diagnosed by a few doctors in my younger years with ADHD, Anxiety, Depression, OCD just to name a few. They put me on all kinds of crap at one point they had me taking 32 friken pills a day. Anyway I dont take any pills any more. But I can say based on self observation and observation of others. That my ADHD depression, and anxiety disorders were real. I still suffer occasionaly. Partly due to my lingering OCD symptoms. But I can usualy recognize whats happening in my brain before it gets to full swing. I understand that my brain is producing excessive amounts of these neuro tranmitters that are causing some of my problems. I then take action to literaly change my mind on illusionary matters that seem to be causing my depression or anxiety. As i do not live a highly stressful life nore do i have any real reasons to be depressed. I can focus on what is right and what is wrong in the matter. Usualy if i can distract my self long enough either by thinking that there is no reason for this anxiety or depression I can stop it. Problem solved by mental strategy. Depression and anxiety subside and my neurlogical differences return to what i would think to be normal. Of course all of this could be a placebo affect based on just believing what i stated above. Fortunatly there are ways of proving this theory and i'm sure its been done. I am also sure that the appropriate tests to diagnose these conditions exist. But are probably rarely if ever used to actualy diagnose anyone. Most likely these test can be debated as well so who knows.

The pills that are generaly prescribed for these type of things have the effect of mimicing these neuro transmitters to either block or transmit much like on-off switches. Of course these pills can have many adverse negative affects due to there nature and what they do. It takes alot more testing than they actualy do i'm sure to figure out all the consequences of artificial neuro tranmitters and the affect and rolls they play through out our body.

These conditions dont just appear out of thin air. I dont know exactly where they come from i'm sure proper studies into the matter could find out. In my case i believe my conditions were caused by the use of hard drugz while my mother was pregnant.

I could explain ADHD in this way but ADHD is alot more complex and requires a vast explenation of many functions of the brain. Which I am not realy familiar with yet.
aeroplane

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
'For a disease to exist there must be a tangible, objective physical abnormality that can be determined by a test,' says neurologist Dr. Fred Baughman. 'Such as, but not limited to, a blood or urine test, X-Ray, brain scan or biopsy. All reputable doctors would agree: No physical abnormality, no disease. In psychiatry, no test or brain scan exists to prove that a 'mental disorder' is a physical disease.'

It's called "rebellion", a natural part of the maturation process in all higher mamals.

US President Jimmy Carter
aeroplane

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i think ADHD exists as well as depression disorders and anxiety disorders it can be proved on a neuroligical point of view when the neuro transmitters in your brain that induce the feeling of depression or anxiety are produced in excessive ammounts which isnt normal(causing a disorder) would then cause you to have excessive ammounts of depression or anxiety.

Wow, Dreams, I almost had an anxiety attack just reading that. Laughing

To answer your suggestions about emotional illness, allow me to ask you an ancient question that my tribe has passed down from generation to generation for thousands of years: "What, my wise one, do you think we did before we had that?"

My father used to always tell me that whenever I questioned the logic behind hunting. "That" meant supermarkets, grocery stores, and even domesticated cattle. What did we do before we invented the names for illnesses that only we could manifest the cures for?

US President Jimmy Carter
zero

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I was younger, I stole a police car and took it for a joy ride.

I had to see pysciatrists for months. After manipulating them for a while, they surmized that I was totally sane. If I would have told them what was really going on in my mind, it would have caused more trouble than I needed at that time.

"I understand that fear is my friend, but not always. Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
Brother Adam

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aeroplane wrote:
Quote:

It's called "rebellion", a natural part of the maturation process in all higher mamals.
claps

-James Madison

Dreamz0fSafty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya'lll tryin to make me think harder now and make me show you lol

well as i said before I realy dont know the truth but maby later i'll go back into my psycology text and find the test that can prove all that ithink it can anyway. but most of it is corelation and if your familiar with corelation you know that its not grounds for causation Wink damn text books.... in other words just because it sounds good doesnt make it true. corelations arent based on absolute facts. I'll have to read that chapter again it was the most interesting chapter in my opinon sofar anyway Smile
Dreamz0fSafty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aeroplane wrote:
"What, my wise one, do you think we did before we had that?

Um lol what did your father do before Crack and heroin was being ingested by the mothers of children? I think ADHD can attributed a lil bit towards that sort of abuse...

Just dont forget I'm not saying that they dont give ADHD or other disorders a broad describtion for diagnosis so they can sit back and say here take this. They do and it is wrong. I just think that further testing and more acurate and more studies in general needs to be performed before they start saying everyone has these problems or even prescribing drugs for these problems especialy with such broad unrestricted symptoms for diagnosis. Its not that easy to prove a brain disorder so they assume, prescribe, diagnose. But assumption is the lowest form of knolege so its still wrong...

anyway i'm not realy trying to prove any kinda point jsut throwing out my 2 cents hope it helps someone. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Health and Food issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: