THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index
How the THC-Ministry has helped me...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Testimonials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stokes
Cannabis Sacrament Minister

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice exposure!

And a positive article to boot ... how sweet is that?

applause

Where love is, there God is also.

-Mahatma Gandhi
Opi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked it too..

Reverend Joseph Johnson
The Church of Khidr
Torkel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work, Opi. Keep up the good work.

Peace,

Torkel

Miranda vs Arizona (384 U.S. 436, 125): "Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule-making or legislation which would abrogate them."

HAGANS vs LAVINE (415 US 533 N-3,note 5): "Once JURISDICTION is challenged it must be proven by the Plaintiff."
Fyrefly1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opi wrote:
Oops, there were a few new posts I didn't see.. But, Fyrefly, the church is always open but please do call before hand to make sure I'm here. No we don't hold any particular congregation due to limited space, but we do have gatherings of like-minded people occasionally. And, yes, it's free. We don't even pass around a donation plate.

Blessed be all,
Rev. Joe

Hallelu-jah!
Great work Rev. Joe!

The word in the midwest is getting around, thanks in part to your work....
Smile

Joe
Rev. Chazman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So, apparently, Illinois is making alot of progress in cannabis reform. Hopefully, this will work in our advantage.

Yes indeed. I started my Ministry over a year ago, and have shown up at a few events with flyers and information to hand out. I dont have any members or a designated place of worship yet... But we are busy here in Illinois. Keep up the good work brother.

Peace
I praise good thoughts, good words, and good deeds and those that are to be thought, spoken, and done. I do accept all good thoughts, good words, and good deeds. I do renounce all evil thoughts, evil words, and evil deeds. ---Avesta: Yasna
---------------------------------------------------
Future Servant of Cannatopia ©2004 - ∞ Rev. Chazman all rights reserved
Opi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this out, I made the front page of the College Newspaper! Heh..

I'm gonna type it out word-for-word; but, they did take some things out of context and miscontrue other details... Nothing signigicant, but, still...

All things denoted with an * are taken out of context.
All things denoted with two ** were extremely taken out of context.
And the one with marked with *** is regarding an issue they brough up; not something I came off rambling about.

ALSO, I never said anything about, "it must be good quality..." Just for the record.. Now Finally, all of the fragments are theirs. They literally cut and pasted catch phrases I said to make the story. But over all, it is good.

Anyway, here's the story (it's long):

-------------------------------------
The Harbinger, Feb 10, 2005 (ICC College Newspaper, East Peoria, IL)
--------------------------------------

Cannabis considered a sacrament by student CSI at ICC

Joe Johnson says his ministry is protected by the Religious Freedom Restoration Act of 1993

By Dawnell Zeine
Copy Editor

Illinois Central College student, Joe Johnson, 20, wants to set a precedent in the state of Illinois regarding the use of cannabis as religious sacrament.
"We are a traditional church. We use cannabis for our sacrament." says Johnson. "We are no different from any other church. We come together, sit and talk, and bring God into people's hearts."
An incident Nov. 29 began Johnson's campaign to protect himself and others from prosecution in using cannabis religiously. Johnson, a freshman studying business management and horticulture, was pulled over for speeding in the 2400 block of Centennial Drive.
When the East Peoria police officer approached the car, which Johnson says he borrowed, he noticed a 12-pack of Bud Light on the floorboard, along with $60 worth of Johnson's recently purchased marijuana in the ashtray. The possession of those items is a city ordinance violation in East Peoria, though Johnson states the alcohol was not his.
Johnson says the police officer told him he was clocked at six miles over the speed limit, but "on the ticket, 16 was written."
"The way the officer treated me was mean. The cop wasn't cooperative. He placed me under arrest without reading my rights. If I didn't know the law and religion, I'd have been screwed," Johnson said.*
Although he says he and his parishioners "dont possess cannabis at Woodview Commons, "Johnson did say, "I should probably plead the fifth, but yeah, I was on the way back to my apartment when I was pulled over."*
Robin Ballard, of the ICC Educational Foundation, says, "While we respect the religious choices of all our students, the lease agreement (at WoodView Commons) is signed by all residents, including Joe Johnson. It clearly prohibits the use or possession of marijuana, alcohol and any other illegal substance."
Johnson says that his ministry is "a religious exemption to the generally applicable rules" regarding illegal drugs stipulated in his lease at WoodView Commons.
"We don't possess cannabis at WoodView. We honor that. We have used it elsewhere," says Johnson, noting, "It's less complicated to go elsewhere."
Johnson says he and his parishoners use cannabis to [aid in] meditation, "and it must be good quality."*
Johnson decided to start his own ministry after researching the Hawai'i Cannabis Ministry and its founder, Roger Christie. At the suggestion of Christie's website, Johnson applied for free ordination on the Universal Life Church's website. The ULC website advertises itself as non-denominational and cliams that it "will ordain anyone for the asking."
"How many people who aren't sincere are gonna go out of their way to do it?" says Johnson. "I'm very passionate about religion. Non-believers who are not sincere... it's as if they insult my church and beliefs."*<b/>
Johnson began his cannabis ministry in December, founding the Church of Khidr in his apartment at Woodview Commons.
Johnson chose the name Khidr, whihc means, "the green man," after learning that Khidr "is the patron saint of cannabis."
After giving up in his search for the Holy Grail, Khidr drank from a spring and was unwittingly granted immortality.
The Church of Khidr currently has seven members, and Johnson is the youngest. Most members are in their mid to late thirties.
"I've always considered cannabis a spiritual thing," says Johnson.
At age 12, he became interested in religion. By his early teens, Johnson says he was studying many religions, including Eastern philosophies, resulting from a fear of death, which eventually brought him closer to God.
Ultimately, Johnson says he came to terms with the fear and became more religious.
Johnson says that his cannabis use was recreational at first, but after he had begun practicing religious ideals, "the cannabis use and religion came into one."
Johnson's father previously practiced a non-denominational ministry in the Bahamas, and Johnson's parents raised him against using marijuana. He eventually asked himself, "How can I be against this if I've never tried it?"
Practicing cannabis religion, Johnson said, helps him "find God in the here and Now," and attain "transcendenta, ultra states of consciousness."

"The history of cannabis is amazing, for real." Johnson said.

He used the Bible verse Genesis 1:11-12 to make his point. A part of the verse reads, "the Earth brough forth grass and herb yeilding seeds after its kind...and God looked down upon this and said it was good."
"God said, 'it was good,' so how can society or government make it illegal?" asked Johnson.
New members are welcomed to the church, regardless of whether they use cannabis or not, Johnson says.
However, "My personal belief is that [cannabis] is mandated," says Johnson.
Johnson says although his father is very supportive of him, since his dad is a conservative Christian, their "perspectives do cross."
"Every religion is a path to God," said Johnson.
Johnson says that when his father heard of recent TV news reports about the Church of Khidr on WEEK and WHOI in Peoria, he called right away. Johnson says his father lectured him about letting people disrespect the church and the Lord.
"I felt the way 19 (WHOI) portrayed the church was demeaning," says Johnson.
He added that his use of cannabis has nothing to with addiction.***
"If you use something willingly, it's a different mentality than those who are peer pressured," says Johnson.
Johnson says he uses cannabis theraputically, and that it's possible that marijuana will be legalized one day.
"I definently advocate medicinal cannabis. I hate the term medical marijuana,"* says Johnson. "Using cannabis, isn't different then using any other root, like peppers. All plants have healing natures."
Parishoners also "agree that the use of cannabis is religious sacrament," says Johnson.
When parishioners join, they are asked questions about their spiritual experiences, to weed out those who are "lacking in sincerity," says Johnson. "Wisdom isn't achieved in years, but achieved through experience."
"Our congregation would be way more then seven if all who applied were sincere. They must write an essay on how they use cannabis for religiou purpouses,"** says Johnson.
When Johnson failed to appear in Tazewell County court Dec. 22 regarding the violations, a warrant was issued for his arrest and a continuance was ordered. After learning of the warrant, Johnson turned himself in to Tazewell County authorities Jan. 27.
"I was incredibly impressed with the way the guards treated me," Johnson said.
He says his religious use of cannabis protected under the Religious Freedom Restoration Act of 1993. one of the purpouses of this act is to provide a claim or defense to persons whose religious exercise is substantially burdened by government.
"Federal Law superceds state law," says Johnson. "The law is an incredible thing. It's a little confusing sometimes. Illinois laws are incrediblly liberal."
The Hawai'i Cannabis Ministry has 30,000 followers in 40 nations according to Johnson.
"There are, perhaps, hundreds of thousands of people who use [cannabis] in their religious beliefs.** (I edited this sentence the factual statment that was made in the paper). Every state has a cannabis ministry," says Johnson. (ed. Odd how they forgot to put, "to my knowledge, I believe there is a cannabis ministry in every state" which is what I did say.. Oh well.)
The [Hawai'i Cannabis Ministry] provides holy anointing oil made from cannabis to Johnson for use during baptisims or the consecration of the altar.
Johnson says in Illinois he can possess the oil, but cannot buy or sell it (ed. I told them, "To my knowledge...." and "From they way I have interrpeted the law," but they don't both with such things).
"As long as we don't lose faith, we we'll be able to walk," said Johnson. "I'm expecting a pretty good out turn in court."
Assistant Attornety for East Peoria, Jamison Allen said, "Since charges are pending in this matter, the city police is not to comment."
Attorney Allen did verify that the two ordinance violations carry up to $750 in fines plus court costs, bud involve no jail time. Johnson will represent himself in court, which is rescheduled for March 8.
Johnson says that if there is a continuance of his court case, he expects it to take years. He says the penalty is a small fine,* and that he is not worried.
The Hawai'i Cannabis Ministry has a 52 out of 52 win record protecting itself in court cases like his, according to Johnson.
"Local law enforcement seems to think they haev a chance." Johnson said. "I have no intention of ceasing the practice, even if court does go against me."*
On July 1, Johnson's lease at Woodview Commons expires. He hopes to get a building for the ministry to make a permanent home. Next month, Johnson will march with a group from Peoria County Courthose to the U.S. Federal Courthouse in Peoria in support of medical use of cannabis.
"Nobody from ICC has contacted me," regarding his ministry, Johnson says. "[ICC Public Safety] hasn't given me any problems. They (ICC) are being tolerant. That's the most we can ask."
Johnson says he intends to hold a church fundraiser and plans to talk to ICC officials regarding wheter he could hold it on campus.*

--END--

Reverend Joseph Johnson
The Church of Khidr
Torkel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic, Joe Smile

This is beneficial for the community to read. Keep the faith and the stance.

Peace,

Torkel Wink

Miranda vs Arizona (384 U.S. 436, 125): "Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule-making or legislation which would abrogate them."

HAGANS vs LAVINE (415 US 533 N-3,note 5): "Once JURISDICTION is challenged it must be proven by the Plaintiff."
pancho
getting into high spirits
getting into high spirits

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey rev, let me know if you know which day youll be speaking in champaign. i doubt ill be able to stay the 18th-20th but id like to get down there for one day.

take it easy,
your buddy porch
Stokes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good, brother Joe.

Stand proud in court and speak your peace clearly and concisely. Remember, your legitimacy hinges upon your sincerity.

Blessed Peace

Stokes bangin

Where love is, there God is also.

-Mahatma Gandhi
Opi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sincerity isn't an issue...... Wink
I've been into religion and the use of cannabis way before all this.. I have past posts from forums (Dated), papers on religious marijuana from high school, papers I've written and posted online on such.. I have a record.

Also, today, myself and 3 members from the Illinois Marijuana Party went to Lincoln, IL to protest the six year sentence of Brian McCain, for possessing an ounce of cannabs on his front porch.

Also, to protest the arrest and trial of a local law officer who had cannabis growing in her home; which her and her husband use for medical purpouses. The response was great from the town; dozens of young and old citens honked, waved, yelled, came up to learn more and ask questions. Only one dude (who was really drunk, honestly (at 2pm!!)) and another guy gave us the thumb down... Oh. Besides these two, the rest of the community were incredibly supportive; even a local law officer gave us the thumbs up. The daughter of the arrested officer who is being tried, and her friends showed up for support as well. Oh, ILMJP showed up in Lincoln earlier this week to protest the sentencing and yesterday they standed outside the courthose and protested. Today, alot of people around town already knew what was going on; myself and one other person walked into the grocery store and the cashier said she knew that we were going to be protesting today.

Rich just said that we passed out over 100 flyers! They were damn good lil' pamphlets he put together and it was a hell of a time. Anyway, I'm gonna get off.. Peace and One Love.

Reverend Joe Johnson
The Church of Khidr

Reverend Joseph Johnson
The Church of Khidr
Fyrefly1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opi wrote:
My sincerity isn't an issue...... Wink
I've been into religion and the use of cannabis way before all this.. I have past posts from forums (Dated), papers on religious marijuana from high school, papers I've written and posted online on such.. I have a record.

Also, today, myself and 3 members from the Illinois Marijuana Party went to Lincoln, IL to protest the six year sentence of Brian McCain, for possessing an ounce of cannabs on his front porch.

Also, to protest the arrest and trial of a local law officer who had cannabis growing in her home; which her and her husband use for medical purpouses. The response was great from the town; dozens of young and old citens honked, waved, yelled, came up to learn more and ask questions. Only one dude (who was really drunk, honestly (at 2pm!!)) and another guy gave us the thumb down... Oh. Besides these two, the rest of the community were incredibly supportive; even a local law officer gave us the thumbs up. The daughter of the arrested officer who is being tried, and her friends showed up for support as well. Oh, ILMJP showed up in Lincoln earlier this week to protest the sentencing and yesterday they standed outside the courthose and protested. Today, alot of people around town already knew what was going on; myself and one other person walked into the grocery store and the cashier said she knew that we were going to be protesting today.

Rich just said that we passed out over 100 flyers! They were damn good lil' pamphlets he put together and it was a hell of a time. Anyway, I'm gonna get off.. Peace and One Love.

Reverend Joe Johnson
The Church of Khidr

The fact that you're protesting the arrest and harassment of people who have been wrongly tried is a Huge!
Statement bro....

Way to go!
Opi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah man, we're trying to stop the unfair treatment. We're entitled to our unalienable rights to enjoy ourselves as long as we don't violate anyone's executive will... if you know what i mean.

we consent to use cannabis; i don't do so around in public, and the only people who around when i do, they consent to be there... therefor, i'm not doing anything immoral from the philosophical aspect, the religious aspect... but enough, the point is... people need to band together. norml isn't doing shit; the Illinois Marijuana Party is. Not to discount NORML, I just don't see them going all the way; and besides one local chapter (peace Brian, ty for the help), they haven't done anything to help me. Not to say they aren't interested in the story, they're jsut not willing to help. Illinois Marijuana Party is helping, though. Thanks Rich, gotsta give you props man.

Anyway, it's late. I'm gone. Peace and One Love.
Reverend Joe

Reverend Joseph Johnson
The Church of Khidr
Rev. Chazman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice going Bro. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to meeting you someday.

Here is the link to the U of I student SSDP/NORML webpage.
http://www.uiucnorml.org/

Click on "upcoming events" to see the listing for the 'Hash Wednesday' event. Also there is a tab on there for contacting them if you want.

Peace
I praise good thoughts, good words, and good deeds and those that are to be thought, spoken, and done. I do accept all good thoughts, good words, and good deeds. I do renounce all evil thoughts, evil words, and evil deeds. ---Avesta: Yasna
Opi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man for the link! And, yeah, I'm looking forward to meeting you, too. Will you be in Champaign for the Forgiveness Weekend? I'm trying to work out something so I'll be able to get down there; also, myself and the Illinois Marijuana Party will be showing up in Springfield to encourage the medical marijuana legistlation. Feel free to stop by; there'll be more information posted on my site within the next few days.

The site is down at the momment, but we're going to be located at
http://www.iliveinabox.com
The site is already designed and you can access the forum at
http://revjoejohnson.proboards45.com

Peace and One Love,

Rev. Joe
Rev. Chazman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opi wrote:
Thanks man for the link! And, yeah, I'm looking forward to meeting you, too. Will you be in Champaign for the Forgiveness Weekend? I'm trying to work out something so I'll be able to get down there; also, myself and the Illinois Marijuana Party will be showing up in Springfield to encourage the medical marijuana legistlation.
Peace and One Love,

Rev. Joe

Im working on trying to get myself to all the events I can. Sometimes its difficult for me to get out. But im working on it.
Im happy to hear about the trip to Springfield, Ive already emailed my support for the bill and requested that they take it seriously.

Peace
Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Testimonials All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: