THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index
How the THC-Ministry has helped me...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Testimonials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Opi
Cannabis Sacrament Minister

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

To recap real quick: Dec. 22, 2004 I was scheduled for court. I filed a continuance. They decided not to grant my continuance and placed a warrant out for my arrest. Yesterday, January 25, 2005 the local law enforcement officers stopped by my PART-TIME residence to serve the warrant. I was gone and my brother was here when they arrived; after a little bitch fest they left. When I returned I was informed of the matter. I contacted the local police department and they eventually referred me to the local county sherrif's office. I called them and they told me they could not give me any information on whether or not I had a warrant out for my arrest. I was told that I must come down there with a photo id in order to find out what I had a warrant for.

I called them this morning and the same office told me over the phone, with no complications, what my warrant was for and how much my bond payment was for. I showed up today and turned myself in. They told me to take a seat and booking would come and get me... I waited and waited; went to go smoke a cigarette, came back and waited some more... Then asked them if I could go eat dinner; they told me I could. When I returned, they got someone from booking to come and get me. I went back and it was a nice, quick process. They treated me with total respect the whole time.

After I was booked, I was waiting in the lobby for my bond papers. The booking officer was standing their with me and over her CB someone asked if we were done, she replied something about us finishing up the papers.. The other person on the CB replied, "Ahmen...<mumbled something>...kid... go home and smoke his pot now." Wow.. This blew my mind. I, being still shocked, replied, "Praise Jah for His blessings."

They finished my papers up real quick, I thanked them and left. When I went into the jail, I had a smile. The whole time I was there, I had a smile. When I left, I still had a smile on my face. What an experience.

Well, that's whats new here in the midwest. LOL, quite a bit of drama, but I did get a court date scheduled out of it... So, atleast we have things set for trial. Cool

AND PORCH, damn man.. Long time no see. Hit me up sometime, my number is on The Church of Khidr's website. We'll work something out, man. Peace and thanks for the encouragement. All of us here are fighting the righteous fight!

Time to pass out for the night,
Reverend Joe
Lilli

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallelujah were praying for you.

I pass to you the torch that Christ once passed to me.
Others are still in the dark and need
the light to see.
"I AM"
"Gathering the fragments so that
none are lost"
His Shepherdess
http://missouri.thcministry.org/
Opi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been receiving quite a few calls from older, established citizens in the community who wish to join the church as well. Due to my situation, I am going to start looking for a building to rent as of today; soon enough we will have a "brick and mortar" ministry here in central Illinois!

However, our new location will remain "underground" until we have a court ruling in our favor; at this point in time I will fully announce our opening of the new church.

So far, I have $500 pretty much to throw as a down payment towards a lease; now I just have to find someone who is willing to lease me a full storefront/loft apartment building for five grand over the next five months. If everyone who can possibly afford to sends a donation for say $10; we should be able to pay off the lease and get a grow room setup to provide Herb to our local parishoners! Man, this would be huge. For now, we'll throw idealism aside and see how things work out. Til then, blessed be and may His blessings fall upon us all. Ahmen.

Love,
Rev. Joe
Opi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

Ironic how after I mentioned donations this thread ends... Well, I guess I'll wait until He provies a little firmer ground for us to build on before I jump in head first. Peace and love.

Reverend Joe
Fyrefly1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, funny, that is... Rolling Eyes

I think you'll find people here are willing to work hard but haven't a lot of spare cash to give....

The organization isn't like a church per say....it doesn't have 'discretionary funds' if you know what I mean.... Laughing

Joe
Opi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always the poor to get persecuted, odd...
Lilli

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are the meek,
for they shall possess the earth.

Blessed are they who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for justice,
for they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the clean of heart,
for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.

Blessed are they who suffer persecution for justice' sake,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

I pass to you the torch that Christ once passed to me.
Others are still in the dark and need
the light to see.
"I AM"
"Gathering the fragments so that
none are lost"
His Shepherdess
http://missouri.thcministry.org/
Fyrefly1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opi wrote:
It's always the poor to get persecuted, odd...

I sure hope yer not feeling persecuted brother...you're just starting...Laughing

Not to worry though, the 'all that is' always seems to bestow 'blessings' at exactly the right time which is when you need it the most.

Is your group meeting in yours (or someones') house yet? It's free right? Start small and it will grow..... as long as you start. Wink

Good luck bro and when I get out to your place I will drop in!

Peace,
Joe
Mystic Power
admin THC-Ministry YahooGroup

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opi wrote:

Ironic how after I mentioned donations this thread ends... Reverend Joe

It's not for lack of wanting to help.

It's simply for lack.

Organize those in your area. Keep it simple. Build from there.

Follow your Bliss,
Ben

"In Lak'ech"
~ Ancient Mayan: "I am another YOU." ~
Opi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, baby steps... But, I thought it was worth asking.

I'm just gonna hold off, I have a business plan in place. Good thing I'm a bussiness major, eh? Ah well, we'll see how things go in court and make our next move based off of that. Til then, we'll just kick it. But damn, it's hard to get Herb when it's so damn expensive... Makes it rather hard to show our praise daily; which I believe to be a mandate, IMO.

Aight you all, I'm gone. Peace.
Reverend Joe
Mystic Power

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...gone? Crying or Very sad

"In Lak'ech"
~ Ancient Mayan: "I am another YOU." ~
Fyrefly1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he means he's 'gone for the night'... Rolling Eyes
HalfDead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey opi how goes the brother these days? I hope this find ya well, I been reading your post and I found out that you may also want to contact fair housing for what is going on. Here’s the website http://www.fairhousing.com/ We are people that work in the housing industry even reserve the right to go in to any apartment we may wish but to do so just for nothing would end us up in court for a major law suit so I would contact theses guys and see what’s going on with that.

As far as NORML goes yeah it be grate if they help you and used some of that money to standup for you and not run you around or get you to take the plea deal. So I will be following you around to see what NROML’s going to do about this and say about the religious defense.

But like I said there its there name I have a problem with they can’t seem to get any laws changed even though they would be willing to stand up for your religious freedoms and well see on that. So there for “Marijuana Law Reform” hasn’t been reforming any laws anytime soon for any even people. I mean NORML only wants to change state laws and not federal laws. So there for leaving the door open for the feds to come in and step on people. So I’m glad that NORML is going to be backing you up but as I see it there’s a lot more people out there doing the same that that don’t have the name Law Reform in there name.

So I say if your going to reform any laws reform the federal laws not the state laws. Lets change things around lets start making paper out of hemp again lets take it all the way, not just to the state laws. So good luck with your NORML thing I hope to see them do something for someone. Or maybe change a federal law and not a state law.

So just if you need more help I would look in to the fair housing website I’m sure they like to put a foot in some ones ass for taking advantage of them.

So good luck with your self and with what you’re doing. Stand up and fight for our right Wink

Quote:

I know a guy who printed that very design for court and he was crucified and put in Federal prison for it.

Oh yeah I wonder why they crucified him for it? I mean maybe if he owned a company like Enron he would then be as lucky as Dick Cheney and get away with ripping everyone off. Maybe that guy can run for our vice president now, I mean I would rather have a marijuana grower or smoker be my vice president then someone who steals from people for a living. Wink

So untill next time my marijuana smoking and growing friends. Puff, puff. Very Happy
Opi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm back! Heh, I didn't mean gone forever Mystic, don't worry...

I called HUD before and they told me I have to go down there and fill out a form, but I haven't been able to so far. Right now, I'm just gonna kick it and hold off on the lawsuit(s). Rev. Brown gave me some things to research and stuff to do for right now, so I'm gonna just get things lined up for the court date (possession of cannabis). Once we get a victory there (and I plan on them drawing this out some), then we'll have something more substantial in our favor.

As far as NORML, they're a good idea, but they are not doing much as far as backing us up on the grandeur scale. As I moved up from the local chapters to the bigger people in NORML, I started to encounter less support and more pestimisim. They are all about medical marijuana right now, so oh well...

And, I have every intention of changing laws, but at this point in time I will be unable to change any federal laws (most likely). This is why: my citation is only a city violation ($75 fine). Most likely, it wont be appealed all the way up to the Supreme Court... And, hypothetically, if it did, I doubt they would hear the case. However, once there are local statutes in the area, we will have laid the ground work. It would be horrible if the government busted into several ministries in Illinois and arrested the parishoners.. This would deffinently be a front page story. Oh, yeah, we have several people in Illinois who have contacted myself about opening their own ministries. Two individuals were already ordained, coincedentally, with the ULC but for their own reasons never persued growing their own Herb. The third person I've known for a few years and we're all sincere individuals; so atleast the ground work we're laying here will be built on a solid foundation. Also, we've received much media attention since we announced our press release. Below is a copy of the Champaign News-Gazette's article about the ministry:

"Keeping the Faith-with Marijuana

President Bush's support of faith-based organizations
helped propel him to his second-term success, and Joe Johnson is all about the faith.
It is a heady faith the Rev. Johnson preaches, a “full-service cannabis ministry that provides marriages and fellowship for those who use cannabis as their sacrament.” Cannabis as a sacrament. You'll find it only at the Church of Khidr (pronounced ka-deer'), which Johnson announced last week he has started in East Peoria. It is the first of several Khidr congregations planned around the state. Expect Champaign to be among them.
Champaign-Urbana is flowering as a focal point, and Illinois as a targeted
state, as organizations such as the National Organization for the Reform of
Marijuana Laws (NORML) and the Interfaith Drug Policy Initiative focus
resources here in their advocacy of sentencing reform and the legal use of
medical marijuana.
For Johnson, marijuana is part and parcel of a religious experience.
“The ministry is non-denominational and focuses on spirituality and the mystical perspective of life,” he said, explaining that Khidr was an Islamic prophet and the patron saint of cannabis, referred to in the Bible as Elijah*. “We aren't just doing this to smoke pot. If we weren't sincere, why would we draw this much attention to ourselves?”
He has indeed drawn attention, doing dozens of media interviews and succeeding in having a warrant issued for his arrest on a city ordinance violation of possession. He said he had a court date set for Dec. 22, but his request for a continuance was denied and the warrant eventually issued. “I turned myself in and they were actually very nice. I have a new date in April. We'll see what happens,” he said.
Mark Lipton, a Champaign attorney on the legal committee for NORML, said Johnson called him last week for his opinion on the legality of such a church. “He wanted to know if he could expect protections from a religious perspective and my gut reaction is that before he can get anywhere with that, it has to be an established, mainstream religion,” Lipton said.
That argument was indeed granted in the long-deliberated case of a Rastafarian tried in Guam for bringing marijuana onto the island in 1991. In 2000, the Guam Supreme Court affirmed a lower court's dismissal of Benny “Rasta Ben” Guerrero's indictment, saying he had the right to smoke marijuana as part of his religion.
Bryan Brickner, the Chicago-based past executive director of Illinois NORML, said he believes the Church of Khidr is similarly protected.
“I've talked to Mr. Johnson, and he's like a lot of people who believe there's a spiritual element to their marijuana use. I think he's a very serious, very sincere person,” Brickner said.
Johnson maintains the Church of Khidr is established and hardly a “fly-by-night” operation. So to speak. The Church of Khidr is a member of The Hawai'i Cannabis Ministry, of Hilo, and the Amsterdam Cannabis Ministry, Netherlands, with 30,000 members in 40 countries. Ordained by the Universal Life Church, Johnson, 20, said he is the youngest minister in the church.
The Church of Khidr is not the only marijuana reform group tuned in and turned on around here. Danielle Schumacher is the state director of NORML. She is ased in Champaign and is in the midst of planning a Forgiveness Weekend on Feb. 18-20. The event is being hosted by Salem Baptist Church. One of the featured speakers is Clliff Thornton, a Connecticut-based expert on drug policy reform and a member of NORML's national board. The Rev. Johnson will be speaking
too.
The keynote speaker is the Rev. James Bevel of Chicago, the former director of direct action for Martin Luther King Jr. and an advocate of sentencing reforms. Bevel was the keynote speaker here in 2002 at the King celebration sponsored by Champaign, Urbana and Champaign County.
“The Marijuana Policy Project, Drug Policy Alliance, several organizations have focused on Illinois for a variety of reasons [—] religious, medical, legal. Medical reform legislation has been introduced in Springfield. It's an
interesting time,” Schumacher said.
So you're not just a bunch of potheads?
“Well, that too,” she laughed. And laughed and laughed."
-------------------

So, apparently, Illinois is making alot of progress in cannabis reform. Hopefully, this will work in our advantage. Also, our governor recently put a law into action that prohibits the discrimination against gay people. It also, SUPPOSEDLY, has a part in there pertaining to religious discrimination. I've yet to look into this, but this might help us out when we get to court. right now, I'm just waiting ... and waiting ... and more waiting .. I have a lot to do before trial, but I'm incredibly anxious. Well, until another day, I'm gone.

Peace...
Rev. Joe
Opi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, there were a few new posts I didn't see.. But, Fyrefly, the church is always open but please do call before hand to make sure I'm here. No we don't hold any particular congregation due to limited space, but we do have gatherings of like-minded people occasionally. And, yes, it's free. We don't even pass around a donation plate.

Blessed be all,
Rev. Joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Testimonials All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: