THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index
AustraliaBasqueBulgariaCanadaChinaEgyptFranceGreeceIcelandIndiaIndonesiaIrelandJamaicaJapanJordanLatviaMexicoNetherlandsNew Zealand
NorwaySpainPakistanLebanonPeruPolandPeurto RicoRomaniaRussiaSingaporeSouth AfricaSudanSwedenThailandTurkeyUnited KingdomUSAUzbekistan
Hope for Healing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Cannabis news
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lilli
Cannabis Sacrament Minister

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:31 am    Post subject: Hope for Healing Reply with quote

Quote:
Hope for Healing
Posted by CN Staff on November 26, 2004 at 08:18:02 PT
By Claire Cooper -- Bee Legal Affairs Writer
Source: Sacramento Bee

The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday will hear the case that offers medical marijuana patients their best hope of getting around the federal government's strict laws against pot.
A year ago the San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled in favor of the plaintiffs, two desperately ill Northern California women, and the federal government has appealed to the Supreme Court.

Angel McClary Raich, 39, calls marijuana "my miracle." She vows that the government "won't take it away from me." She suffers from multiple ailments that don't respond to conventional therapies, including wasting syndrome and an inoperable brain tumor.

The other plaintiff, Diane Monson, 47, of Butte County, is prone to excruciating back spasms and, like Raich, did poorly on conventional drugs.

The 9th Circuit said federal authorities lack the power to regulate the noncommercial growing, possession and use of pot for personal medical purposes if the activity occurs wholly within a state that permits it. California has done so since 1996, when voters approved Proposition 215, the Compassionate Use Act. The law permits patients with a doctor's recommendation to use marijuana and also covers their caregivers. A more recent state law sets limits on pot amounts and penalties for abusers.

Monson grows her pot in her home garden, generating each crop from seeds produced by the previous crop. Raich gets her pot free from two Oakland growers, who use only California plants, soil, water and nutrients.

A victory for the women would reverberate. Twenty-six states have acknowledged medicinal marijuana in some way, if only by establishing research programs or providing reduced penalties for users, according to a brief filed by several medical associations.

Almost half of those states view marijuana as a legitimate medicine, despite the federal government's position that it "has no accepted medicinal use." Pending the Supreme Court decision which is expected by early summer, several judges already have placed federal cases involving medical marijuana on hold and have ordered some convicted defendants released from prison.

Meanwhile, Raich and Monson are protected by a preliminary injunction that bars federal authorities from interfering with them or their pot supplies.

Snipped:

Complete Article: http://www.freedomtoexhale.com/healinghope.htm

Source: Sacramento Bee (CA)
Author: Claire Cooper -- Bee Legal Affairs Writer
Published: Friday, November 26, 2004
Copyright: 2004 The Sacramento Bee

Related Articles & Web Site:

Angel Raich v. Ashcroft News
http://freedomtoexhale.com/raich.htm

Supreme Court To Hear California Med Pot Case
http://cannabisnews.com/news/thread19882.shtml

High Court To Weigh Medical Marijuana Laws
http://cannabisnews.com/news/thread19881.shtml

" I pass to you the torch that Christ once passed to me, others are still in the dark an need the light to see"
Mystic Power
admin THC-Ministry YahooGroup
admin THC-Ministry YahooGroup

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Kampia of MPP:

Quote:
Dear Ben Power:

Please tune in to C-SPAN's "Washington Journal" on Monday morning,
when I will be discussing the historic medical marijuana case the U.S.
Supreme Court will be hearing that day. My appearance is scheduled to
air from 7:45 to 8:30 a.m. Eastern time and may repeat later in the
day.

(Check http://www.c-span.org/homepage.asp?Cat=Series&Code=WJE&ShowVidNum=6&Rot_Cat_CD=WJ&Rot_HT=205&Rot_WD=
for times.)

The Supreme Court case, Ashcroft v. Raich, was first launched in
October 2002, when two medical marijuana patients -- Angel Raich and
Diane Monson -- and two caregivers filed a motion asking a federal
court to forbid the DEA from arresting them under federal law. They
argued that their home use and cultivation of medical marijuana, which
is legal under California state law, aren't commercial in nature and
do not involve interstate commerce ... and therefore the federal
government does not have the constitutional authority to prohibit what
they're doing.

The U.S. district court in northern California ruled against Raich in
March 2003, but then the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals disagreed
and ruled in favor of Raich in December 2003, shocking the nation. As
a result, Raich, Monson, and patients in similar circumstances have
been legally allowed to use medical marijuana under both state and
federal law in Alaska, California, Hawaii, Nevada, Oregon, and
Washington since December 2003.

The Marijuana Policy Project's grants program provided the majority of
the funding for this litigation, which is only the second medical
marijuana case ever to reach the Supreme Court.

The Bush administration appealed the case to the U.S. Supreme Court.
If the Court rules in favor of Raich, the federal government would be
blocked from arresting medical marijuana patients whose activities are
legal under state law anywhere in the country. If Raich loses,
however, it would not overturn the laws now protecting the right of 57
million Americans living in Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii,
Maine, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Vermont, and Washington to use medical marijuana legally under state law.

In short, if our side wins the case, the federal government's war on
medical marijuana will be largely over, and the 40 states without
medical marijuana laws will quickly start to pass such laws. If our
side loses the case, however, we will be no worse off than we were
before the litigation was launched -- medical marijuana would be legal
under certain state laws but not federal law.

According to annual statistics released by the FBI and the U.S.
Sentencing Commission, 99% of all marijuana arrests are made by state
and local authorities under state law; only 1% of marijuana arrests
are made by the DEA and other federal authorities under federal law.

Because of this criminal justice reality, MPP will continue to focus
on making medical marijuana legal from state to state -- just as we
did this year in Montana and Vermont -- regardless of what the Supreme
Court rules. (A ruling is expected sometime in the winter or spring.)

Sincerely,

Rob Kampia
Executive Director
Marijuana Policy Project
Washington, D.C.

Romadon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Medical Marijuana ProCon.org

PRO 5/26/04 - "Inadequate substitutes [to marijuana], such as Marinol, are given to cancer and AIDS patients who can't even swallow, much less, keep it down long enough to reap it's benefits. The U.S. government has gone way overboard in it's campaign to vilify marijuana. It is an herb which has good uses, as well as, the potential for abuse. Marijuana has no business, being classified as a Schedule I - Controlled Substance, a category which is usually reserved for highly dangerous drugs, such as 'street' methamphetamine, LSD, heroin and so on... Putting marijuana in the same class with those drugs is like stocking Drano in the toy department, alongside bubble soap.

CON 11/27/04 - "Yes, but Drano is also a legal substance which may be used or consumed without fear of prosecution and imprisonment which could have far worse effects than that of merely ingesting Drano. Even so the the unknown danger associated with smoking Marijuana far outweighs the known effects of swallowing Drano. All Marijuana is doing is turning our children into a bunch of pacifistic sissified punks and is just flat out bad for business and the economy. I don't know about you but I won't have no son of mine grow up playing with Barbie Dolls."
Romadon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romadon wrote:

Quote:
Medical Marijuana ProCon.org

PRO 5/26/04 - "Inadequate substitutes [to marijuana], such as Marinol, are given to cancer and AIDS patients who can't even swallow, much less, keep it down long enough to reap it's benefits. The U.S. government has gone way overboard in it's campaign to vilify marijuana. It is an herb which has good uses, as well as, the potential for abuse. Marijuana has no business, being classified as a Schedule I - Controlled Substance, a category which is usually reserved for highly dangerous drugs, such as 'street' methamphetamine, LSD, heroin and so on... Putting marijuana in the same class with those drugs is like stocking Drano in the toy department, alongside bubble soap.

CON 11/27/04 - "Yes, but Drano is also a legal substance which may be used or consumed without fear of prosecution and imprisonment which could have far worse effects than that of merely ingesting Drano. Even so the the unknown danger associated with smoking Marijuana far outweighs the known effects of swallowing Drano. All Marijuana is doing is turning our children into a bunch of pacifistic sissified punks and is just flat out bad for business and the economy. I don't know about you but I won't have no son of mine grow up playing with Barbie Dolls."

Quote:
CON 11/27/04 - "By-golly, ain't that just the dad-gum truth now? I ever catch my boy smokin pot I just might pour some Drano down his throat my own self. Teach that boy a lesson, know what I mean? Be-un the good father and kind hearted I am I just might even give him the option of prison though. Yesur-ree-golly, our beloved President and his administration is doin a mighty fine job I'd say. Keep up the good work George."

Lilli

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is every senators email. Please compose a letter and write them.
Heres mine to My Senator
http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

Hello Mr Talent, Monday the Angel Rach case and the Wamm case come before the Senate.

Please sir in the name of God have compassion on these sick people. Please Sir
It is wrong to imprison sick ppl for using a medicinal herb that God Almighty left here on this earth for the comfort of mankind.

I minister to many sick and dying people who need and depend on the herb everday to help them keep medicines down and live a fuller life.One free of pain an nausea.

Sir the prisons are overloaded with sick ppl who have been caught in this mess.Prisons should be for the violent criminals The whole United States needs medical marijuana. Sir it was used in the bible Please sign yes on the medical marijuana bill Monday the 29th.

Its healing propertys are wonderful and for so many things. I have seen an helped ppl that have come off crack addictions by using cannabis Sir. I know many that without it would waste away and die without it. Please help heal our nation. Your vote counts.

Its time for compassion in our land. Please Mr Talent vote yes for medical marijuana iin the Angel Rache case and the Wamm case.
God Bless you Reverend D. Lilli *****
" I pass to you the torch that Christ once passed to me, others are still in the dark an need the light to see"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Cannabis news All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: