THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index
Hemp seen as fuel substitute

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Hemp food, clothes, fuel, fibers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ferre
Cannabis Sacrament Minister.
Cannabis Sacrament Minister.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: Hemp seen as fuel substitute Reply with quote

Quote:
Hemp seen as fuel substitute

By John Fennucio, Collegian Correspondent
September 20, 2005

With gas and oil prices at an all-time high, the alternative solution for residents throughout Amherst and the country for energy is hemp.

Gas prices recently broke the $3-a-gallon mark for the first time in the region, which has drivers and residents who rely on gas for their cars as well as oil for heat struggling. The thought of hemp production as a cheap alternative to oil and gas is appealing because it can be converted to "biomass" that is in turn converted to energy.

"Biomass can be converted to methane, methanol, or gasoline at a fraction of the current cost of oil, coal, or nuclear energy," said Jack Herer, a longtime hemp activist and author of "The Emperor Wears No Clothes."

In his book, Herer states, "Hemp stems are 80 percent hurds (pulp byproduct after the hemp fiber is removed from the plant). Hemps hurds are 77 percent cellulose - a primary chemical feed stock (industrial raw material) used in the production of chemicals, plastics and fibers ... an acre of full-grown hemp plants can provide from 50 to 100 times the cellulose found in cornstalks, kenaf, or sugar cane."

Many people aren't educated about hemp due to the illegal nature of its cultivation and its (strictly legal) association with marijuana. Bruce Montague, an employee of Amherst's own Surner Heating Company, said in an interview last winter in response to the suggestion of using hemp energy, "I don't think there'd be any benefit."

According to Herer's research, "Farming only six percent of the continental U.S. acreage with biomass [from hemp] crops would provide all of American's gas and oil energy needs, ending dependence upon fossil fuels." He added, "Each acre of hemp would yield 1,000 gallons of methanol. Fuels from hemp, along with the recycling of paper, etc., would be enough to run America virtually without oil."

Herer explained the versatility of hemp by saying, "It can be grown in virtually any climate or soil condition on Earth, even marginal ones."

Recent marijuana decriminalization laws in Amherst have lightened the penalties for possession of the plant. However, the association hemp has to the drug is possibly one of its biggest roadblocks towards legalization. With crystal methamphetamine presently the country's largest drug problem, admitted by both state and local law enforcement agencies, the current administration is asking such agencies to focus their efforts on marijuana busts.

"Nearly half of state and local law-enforcement agencies identify 'meth' as their greatest drug threat, as more than 1 million Americans use the highly addictive drug, which is linked to violent crime, explosions and fires at 'meth' labs, severe health problems, and child and family abuse," said Robert Dreyfuss in the Aug. 11 issue of Rolling Stone.

In a telephone interview with Herer, though he endured a stroke just a few years ago, was willing to discuss his views on "Big Energy." He said, "All the energy companies bought up the coal rights and when gasoline runs out in our lifetime, within the next 40 years, these companies are going to feed us the coal substitute for the next 400 years!"

SOURCE

I hereby declare Peace on war!
█ Please read the Board Rules and Posting, and you
Radio Free Amsterdam
People who know truth, speak truth.
Those who don't, quote scriptures.
amanwhogrows
Cannabis Sacrament Minister

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: hemp as fuel Reply with quote

A few weeks ago I sent a letter to my local congressman about hemp farming. This congressman is on the committee for specailty crops and foreign agricultural programs. You would think he would know about hemp and it's many uses, but here is what he had to say.

I appreciate yopur letter suporting the legalization of hemp farming the United States. I do not belive that inroducing hemp as a legal agricultual product is beneficial at this time. The burden of creating an entirely new system of regulations and infrustructure to deal with the production of hemp, as well as the jurisdictional and enforcement issues involved, far outweighs the potential gains.

Please do not hesitate to contact mewhen I can be of service in any way.

Sincerley yours,

William J. Jenkins, M.C.

So it goes that either the money is not large enough to change his mind about hemp or the lobbyist aganist hemp have alot of money. With the price of oil going higher we have got to find a way to change these hard headed individuals minds about alternative fuels. I personally cannot afford to pay for these people to be in office any longer. I am going to and are asking my fellow citzens of this planet to vote these people from office. Either they work toward making our planet a better place by clean fuels and hybrid vehicles or they will be fired from their positions by voting them out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Torkel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amanwhogrows wrote:
Quote:
I am going to and are asking my fellow citzens of this planet to vote these people from office. Either they work toward making our planet a better place by clean fuels and hybrid vehicles or they will be fired from their positions by voting them out.

Good idea, brother - they do need to be fired! Laughing

Welcome to the thc-ministry, amanwhogrows.

Peace,
Torkel

Miranda vs Arizona (384 U.S. 436, 125): "Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule-making or legislation which would abrogate them."

HAGANS vs LAVINE (415 US 533 N-3,note 5): "Once JURISDICTION is challenged it must be proven by the Plaintiff."
Mystic Power
admin THC-Ministry YahooGroup

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
either the money is not large enough to change his mind about hemp or the lobbyist aganist hemp have alot of money.

I'm guessing it's the latter. Laughing

Welcome to the dot-net, amanwhogrows! welcome

Follow Your Bliss,
Ben

"In Lak'ech"
~ Ancient Mayan: "I am another YOU." ~
Don Quixote

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aha.a subject close to my heart.

thanks for the info. bro. Amanwhogrows and welcome to the ministry.you are definetly in the right place bro.

PEACE.

---

."First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948)
Brother Adam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I appreciate yopur letter suporting the legalization of hemp farming the United States. I do not belive that inroducing hemp as a legal agricultual product is beneficial at this time. The burden of creating an entirely new system of regulations and infrustructure to deal with the production of hemp, as well as the jurisdictional and enforcement issues involved, far outweighs the potential gains.

Please do not hesitate to contact mewhen I can be of service in any way.

Sincerley yours,

William J. Jenkins, M.C.

What a crock of shit. Any other time there are billions of dollars to be made they jump all over it. Hell, they'll sell the wetlands and forests out from under your ass for a few million here and there....

“Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives.”

-James Madison

Police officers acquitted for beating a 64 yr old man recently in New Orleans. In the words of their defense attorney "all he had to do was comply"....and they wouldn't have fractured his face.
amanwhogrows

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome Don Quixote, Mystic Power, Torkel and I am following my bliss.
Rev. Adams you are so right there are billions of dollars to be made on this renewable resource but the money from oil lobbyist is too large. Like I always say follow the money. If we could find money from a hemp believer to fight the oil money, am I dreaming?
We put these people into office so why can't we remove them also. There is Senetor Byrd who has been in office for almost forty years, and if I am right on this he gets to keep all of the money he doesn't spend on his re-election campain bid. Not right. A local congressman by the name of Jimmy Quillen kept all of his unused campain money when he retired and it was multi-millions.
I had this dream last night and in the dream I found a congressman with balls who got together with a large company also with balls and between them hemp became a agricultural product, legal and biofeuls were cheap and available. I know, wierd dream to have. I suppose I shouldn't eat late night hot peppers again. But it is a great dream.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mystic Power

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best bet would be Congressman Ron Paul. (R) Texas...

He's always on board for across-the-board cannabis freedom...and freedom in general. Don't let the "Republican" fool ya...he was Libertarian candidate for president during the early 90s.

Bliss,
Ben

"In Lak'ech"
~ Ancient Mayan: "I am another YOU." ~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Hemp food, clothes, fuel, fibers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: