THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index
AustraliaBasqueBulgariaCanadaChinaEgyptFranceGreeceIcelandIndiaIndonesiaIrelandJamaicaJapanJordanLatviaMexicoNetherlandsNew Zealand
NorwaySpainPakistanLebanonPeruPolandPeurto RicoRomaniaRussiaSingaporeSouth AfricaSudanSwedenThailandTurkeyUnited KingdomUSAUzbekistan
Friardom, Mithraism, Anarchism and Jungian Shamanism...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Cannabis, Religion and History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pateticus
Cannabis Sacrament Minister

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Friardom, Mithraism, Anarchism and Jungian Shamanism... Reply with quote

William of Malmesbury, a 9th century Monk once wrote, in a footnote, the words "vox populi, vox dei". "The voice of the populous is the voice of god".

I think what he was trying to say was that the closer you get down the social ladder--among the beggars, the thieves and the whores...the children, the animals, the sick and the elderly--you get closer to what could be considered human core behavior. That when you strip away everything a man has, everything the material world hands to you...and then have to live happily among your brethren because you have no other choice...you are closer to nature, to your tribe. Your soul.

This puts you closer to what god wants you to be--to the way you were made.

Because the things that make you happy when nothing else matters are the things that god made you out of.

If god, is in fact, 'all things' then nature and human nature are god's way of speaking to us. Only by exploring human nature, communal nature and tribal behavior...can we discover our roots and where humanity really came from. Since tribal behavior predates any organized religion--including paganism.

We were wandering tribes long before we were communal settlers. The first thing mankind learned how to do was settle into one place.

So it seems only logical...that if I were to be more like god made me...that I should look back into history to find out what must've been on god's mind when humans were created.

God made some of us to settle and some of us to stay tribal. Some of us were supposed to spend their whole lives in one place and learn always the same thing from the same people...others of us were built to wander, to go wherever they can and learn whatever they could.

Problem is...all the settlers won. They eventually ate up all the no-man's land--that was safe haven for all the travellers and tribesmen--through war and encroachment and pollution and political parties and corporate takeovers, eventually everyone who liked to live life settled down had a place to stay...and those of us that liked to wander were left with no place to go.

But time and again, the lowlifes of human society would find a way to get by. They still rang their bell or blew their horn and every day, the whole tribe would sit down for supper. That was their strength, you see. Families loved eachother daily. And all it took was making sure they got together once a day as a family.

Or they learned to settle in specific parts of town so they could be close to eachother, lighting a red lantern outside of their home to indicate they ran an Open House--a home that was open to all. Many of these places ran as bars and brothels, hence the term "Red Light District".

After dinner, every night, the whole tribe--the whole extended family--would play music, get drunk or stoned, dance and play. They'd scrape together whatever food they had, and manage to have a good time...no matter where they were, how much time they have to spend working for the elite, or how much money they had, or how sick or young or old they were.

Every day they made sure they had a good time before they went to bed. They loved their families daily and they had a good time.

The populous will always be happy and content so long as they are among their brethren and having a good time.

And that's all god wants us to do is be happy.

The Friars were an act of rebellion. At the time, the Catholic Church was an institute primarily for the rich and powerful. Priests of the time were the only ones that received a formal education and only those that donated heavily to the church's issues and causes (which was, at the time, meant enforcing things like racial and social purity, the development of literature and technology, information, substance and population control, dominance over other religions, etc. etc.) were able to take advantage of that education.

St. Francis, by taking his vow of poverty, gave up the life of a societal in order to be an anti-societal--in this, I feel he is the "Other side of the Dionysian Coin".

What the Catholics did, in all actuality, was very ingenius: They took all the Pagan gods, took their best and worst attributes and made them into Catholic Saints. And by doing so they were able to create confusion around their beliefs and get the pagans to take part in their rituals. This is how their religion was able to spread.

St. Francis is a paradigm. He is an aspect of Catholic Myth that mirrors an aspect of Pagan Myth--he is the Catholic Embodiment of Dionysus. The man who gives up everything in order to embrace the lower classes of society and build a community of caregivers. What, in Greek Mythology, would be called a Tyrant--a Self-Made Man.

The Friars were the 'Pagans' of the Catholics. They walked the line between organized religion and chaos. This is why they were so disliked. They were the last to be accepted and the most difficult to acclimate because they insisted upon maintaining their good standing with the parts of society that people were ashamed of. The poverty striken, the sick, the enslaved, the forgotten, downtrodden and invisible. They allowed these people to hold onto their beliefs and say "I'm going to give you my wine and teach you how to read anyway...it's just my way of balancing the universe." They also said "Look, I don't need to be rich in order to be successful."

It was a quiet, subtle act of rebellion that worked remarkably well.

Since their foundation, the Friars have gone through their own evolution. I don't think that people really understand what St. Francis did for his people. When they became an official Fellowship of the Catholic Church, the Church adopted their ways but then bogged them down with all kinds of requirements. Instead of the simplicity of a vow of poverty--making the decision to close the door on one aspect of one's life and to take up another--they now require a college education and all kinds of background checks and accreditations.

But St. Francis, in all actuality, was more Pagan than a lot of Catholics would like to admit. Because he showed the simplicity behind the priesthood. That sometimes, excellence is in the ease in which something can be done.

It is for this reason that I, myself, have chosen the title of Friar.

90% of the bible is just Pagan myth with a coat of white wash. Even the story of King Arthur in his search for the Holy Grail is just a re-telling of Taliesin's search for Ceridwen's Cauldron of Inspiration.

This process of creating paradigms is called Mithraism. Sometimes it's intentional, sometimes it's coincidental. But, regardless, these commonalities exist and it is this specific practice that is the center-point of my own belief system, what I call an Exploration of the Common Thread.

I was born and raised Catholic and got to know Paganism from this standpoint. This is how I got interested in the mythologies of a variety of beliefs, I've devoted a considerable amount of time to weeding out these paradigms and learning how to read between the lines of the bible in order to find the Paganism within. And it is for this reason that I've come to groups like the Universal Life Church and the THC Ministry.

I believe the time has come for us to start acknowledging the commonalities between our faiths, rather than allowing our religions to divide us.

By becoming a Friar and following as closely as I can the teachings of St. Francis, I believe I allow myself to walk the line between organized religion and paganism, creating a state of mind that allows me to find that common thread and bring it to the surface.

There are many ways to train oneself to think and behave in new ways. The one that I have used is called Jungian Shamanism. Which is largely based upon the theories of Carl Jung, who broke down all forms of religion and ministry into the Three Metasciences of Heremetics, Myomancy and Personography.

Hermetics is the use and manipulation of environments in order to reach desired effects in human behavior. Similar to how a Montessori School creates a relaxed, home-like atmosphere in order to make teaching more effective. In Religious and Spiritual Contexts, this is the science of seeking out 'power spots' and the practice of rituals that allow others to focus, channel, and harness their own personal, spiritual power.

Myomancy is the reading of simple signs in the environment and people--omens, portents and seemingly micro-scopic (often, un-noticed) changes in people and places that 'tip off' the shaman to the outcome of events that are happening around him and provide some insight as to what will happen in the future.

Personography is the mapping of personalities, abilities and ecological factors and their relation to their community. The Shaman of the tribe was often consulted for things like trade aptitude, personal health and wellness of both the tribe and the individual.

People hex and bless themselves every day with the rituals and routines that they bring into their own lives.

What I do as a Jungian Shaman when someone consults me on a face-to-face level is try to take a good long look at how they are living their life, I ask them questions and analyze them for self-destructive or self-creative patterns and see how they might be working themselves into a rutt by doing things that aren't necessary and how they might more effectively work themselves into a pattern of success.

The group rituals I perform allow me to manipulate the emotions of other people. Allowing them to attend ritual in order to find the same sense of peace, comfort and contentment.

For more information, check my website, send me an Email. I hope this suffices anyone's questions as to my belief system and how it relates to my involvement in the THC Ministry.

Thankyou.

Pateticus

Wink
http://members.cox.net/pateticus/
Romadon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense. I wasn't raised Catholic myself but have friends and relatives that are devout Catholics. I watch EWTN (the Catholic channel) now and then and I feel more of a connection with the Friars and the Monks also.

A subsidiary of Terrafirma Hollowed by Cannabis, Inc.
shaudes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excelent post Pateticus. I would love to start up a dialog with you.

Shadow, Shades, Shaudes

http://216.38.192.68/join_today/index.html
the best space sim ever IMHO
Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Cannabis, Religion and History All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: