THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index
Do you like to eat insects?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Health and Food issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ferre
Cannabis Sacrament Minister.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:36 am    Post subject: Do you like to eat insects? Reply with quote

Check out the percentage of acceptable "Insect Filth" allowed in various types of food by the USFDA.

http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/dalbook.html

I hereby declare Peace on war!
█ Please read the Board Rules and Posting, and you
Radio Free Amsterdam
People who know truth, speak truth.
Those who don't, quote scriptures.
prntrkmt
Cannabis Sacrament Minister

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Do you like to eat insects? Reply with quote

Ferre wrote:
Check out the percentage of acceptable "Insect Filth" allowed in various types of food by the USFDA.

http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/dalbook.html

Mammals survived the age of dinosaurs by specializing in eating insects. The development of flowering plants led directly to a sudden diversity of species of insects which led directly to a sudden diversity of species of mammals.

And the need for excellent hearing to hunt for insects at night led to the mammal's three bone hearing system and that led to a larger brain. The larger brain in turn powered other acute senses and eventually led to the large brain that humans (other than DEA agents and federal judges) are known for.

Pound for pound (or gram for gram for Europeans influenced by Napoleon's metric system), insects have more protein than any other kind of animal.

And for our Abrahamic friends, locusts are the only nonvertebrae that are kosher food in Judaism.
malloryjade

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading about the amount of feces in water and the average person drinks one pound of feces a year. As for insects I have accidentally eaten a few ants over the years like 2 or three. They tasted like pepper. I have been getting more and more curious however in the whole insect eating thing watching Anthony Bourdain and Andrew Zimmerman on the food network. It's appalling to think all that crap is in our food.
Ferre

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I don't mind insects at all, feces is an entirely different matter though.

Yuck! vomito

Radio Free Amsterdam
malloryjade

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree totally!!!
Jason

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freakin Yuk! WTF!

I wonder though... Was it better or worse 35 years ago?
What's worse. The insect feces or the chemicals and genetic engineering that's in it? I'm sure when I'm eating berries outside I'm eating a small amout of crap too... Nasty!
Goddess Herb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our food supply is so toxic that those "additions" probably improve it's nutritional content. How sad is that. I actually started growing my own food because of how bad ours is.

Forget about the toxic sludge they put on the fields as "fertilizer" and the pesticides and herbicides they spray everywhere (including on the food once inside the trucks). It's the fact that Genetically Modified Organisms or GMO's don't have to be labeled that scares me the most. They have no real idea what effect their modifications have on the nutritional content of the food. I read that some corn that's GM doesn't absorb certain nutrients from the ground. Yikes! shoking

Imagine that, the food grown today isn't the same nutritionally as it was even 50 years ago. No wonder everyone is getting fat. We're all eating tons of crap to get the same amount of nutrients that's in less, better quality food. I see a growing divide between those who can afford the better quality food and those who can not. Crying or Very sad And that is going to have severe consequences in the next 50-100 years.

Tobacco was once actually good for you until the greedy got a hold of it. They created an abomination of nature by choosing the sickest, weakest, whitest plants and growing their seed. Seed which could not and would not have survived if not for the assistance of people. And now the same thing is happening to our food supply. It's also happening to our beloved Cannabis. loveweed There are many people out there trying to keep the species alive and in doing so are creating unnatural plants. More and more plants are not being grown outside so plants are being selected for indoor growing. If this continues will we make this wonderful plant toxic? Something to think about.

Sorry for being so long winded but the food supply thing really gets to me. cussing I hope we can get things back on track before people are so starved they can't think straight. Oh wait maybe they already are. Rolling Eyes

If the founding fathers were alive today they would start a revolution.
Ferre

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genetically Modified Organisms or GMO's are illegal in the Netherlands and most other European countries and imported food is checked by a customs agency to make sure it's not coming in. Needless to say I am thankful for this.

Sadly enough the UK has about the same regulations as the USA, in the UK it's legal and doesn't have to be labelled.

Radio Free Amsterdam
Goddess Herb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in knowing what kinds of tests they have to detect GMO's. I bet just about every processed food in the US has at least one GMO in it. Maybe they can make a home test kit for those of us that want to know. I am so disheartened by how many people just don't want to know anything about anything.

May I gather the energy pipe to bring my light to the world and to guide those who seek that light within Them. That They may light the world in Their own way. So be it and so it is. Blessed Be.

prntrkmt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goddess Herb wrote:
I would be interested in knowing what kinds of tests they have to detect GMO's. I bet just about every processed food in the US has at least one GMO in it. Maybe they can make a home test kit for those of us that want to know. I am so disheartened by how many people just don't want to know anything about anything.

May I gather the energy pipe to bring my light to the world and to guide those who seek that light within Them. That They may light the world in Their own way. So be it and so it is. Blessed Be.

While some gentic modifications may be physically visible, checking for genetic mations requires DNA teting. Depending on the test required, it can take anywhere from a few hours to six months for results to come back (with two weeks being very typical). And almost all the tests are fairly expensive.
Goddess Herb

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks prntrkmt I totally forgot about DNA tests. Doh redface I wonder if anything gets by them? Hmm Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Health and Food issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: