THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index
CANNABUTTER - PART 2, Tips to improve the butter taste

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Talk about yum! M MMM Good!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Urbanhog

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 8:44 am    Post subject: CANNABUTTER - PART 2, Tips to improve the butter taste Reply with quote

Ever had canna-cakes/cookies that tastes like shit??? sort of like "Green Taste"????

I will explain how I get rid of that "green taste"......there are two ways......

Sounds like that you must have used fair bit of shade leaves (the big main leaves) I never use the big shade leaves, they are the parts that they will give that horrible "green taste", I only use bud leaves, they are bit more potent than shade leaves, I mean they (shade leaves) will still give you the effects, but the taste will be noticeable, but if I was using shade leaves, I will only use small percentage of shade leaves and massive percentage of bud leave to prevent getting that green taste, and still manage to extract the THC from the shade leaves.

Also, it's possible that you boiled that pot/butter/water too hard/fast for bit too long (either it's buds, shade leave or bud leave), because somehow I noticed (excuse me guys, I am only explaining from my own observations/experiments)

anyway, back to the subject, if you boiled too hard too long, it somehow mades the butter "greener/dark muddy greenish" colour, and it will give that unpleasnt chlorophyll (the natural chemical in all plants that makes the plants "green" colour, I think, I am no scienist), so when you make cannabutter, ALL you want is to extract the THC from the leaves to be transferred to the fats in the butter/oils, not the chlorophyll "green" taste, so the trick is get the stockpot to boil pretty hard/fast, only for about 30-45mins tops NOT over 4-7 hours, then lower the tempeture to nice soft simmering with little boiling bubbles for long as you can....

So if you have got no choice, only got heaps of shade leaves, I suggest you to try to simmer them next time, and you will notice a huge differences in the taste, if it all fails, maybe you should add some drops of vanilla, almond or nutmeg essance, it will improve the flavour a bit, but remember if you are using one of these essances in cannabutter make sure it's only used for sweets, you don't want use sweet cannabutter in curries, casseroles, pies, soups, etc!!! ..

Also you could always try to soak the leaves in room tempeture water to wash the "green" out a bit... but its very important never never use ICY COLD water... why? beacause you know these "hash bags" for making homemade hashish? they use ICY COLD water to "break the THC resins off the leaves"... so image if you soaked the water in Icy cold water and tried to make the cannabutter with the leaves that been soaked in icy cold water, might be less potent because you might find most of the resin in the bottom of the bucket if you drainned them out slowly Wink But I rarely soak my leaves anyway because I have done it for years and I just simply know the "art" to mask the "green aftertastes" Wink

It's not a good idea to use these moudly leaves if you want to make some butter with them... I mean if your fruits/vegetables are mouldy... will you eat them? Rolling Eyes

Also it depends on some strains, some strains has strong green taste, or the leaves weren't dried properly, or used wet leaves, or it could be the growing environment, there could be plenty of reasons, I don't know....everyone knows that the subject of "cannabis" is a very large topic...that you can crap on for hours and hours....

Goodluck.....Urbanhog
clips
getting into high spirits
getting into high spirits

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i beat that greenish taste by using unpressed bubblehash or fresh kief from the kief box as is good polm Wink lol mixes real good with cookie mixes and/or use wih oil/butters .may take an extra step but well worth it chat ya later clips
CrookedEye
Cannabis Sacrament Minister

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: One more tip... Reply with quote

Soaking the buds in water and straining it before adding it to the butter helps wash out some of the nasty taste and inactive compounds. Just soak for a night or two in cool water and strain it well, then continue as normal for butter.
CE
Urbanhog

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I argee CRookedEye.

Someone claimed that the water that you soak must be not too "cold" or "icy cold" because people who make bubblehash or whatever that hash is called made from leaves and using that several filter bags to collect the resin...They used icy cold water and wonder if you "soak" in icy cold water you may lose some resin for the cannabutter?

Can anyone vouch or give any feedback?
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime."
--Mark Twain, The Innocents Abroad (1869)
pipeman
regular contributor
regular contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the colder your water is the more your trichomes swell and harden and the more likely you are to lose some of the good stuff. Although soaking in cold water would work IMO. Personally I think warm water is preferable as warm water will be more absorbant than cold water. I simmer the weed in warm water for about ten minutes then pour it off and repeat a couple of times until the water being poured off is no longer a really dark green. this indicates that you've got a fair amount of the nasty green tasting stuff out of the weed and your butter should taste better.
Fyrefly1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmmmmmm..better butter!

Laughing
The Moose

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Better, not bitter, butter Reply with quote

Here is the straight skinny on this. The real secret weapon is a double boiler. It prevents overheating during cooking, thus it keeps the nasty flavor out of the finished butter.

And remember: GIGO= Garbage In - Garbage Out. Start clean, fresh and potent and end clean, fresh aand potent. Use bud and bud leaves (sepals) DO NOT COOK UNTIL THE BUTTER TURNS GREEN. Green and brown are right out! Some of the nature food nuts back in the 60's and 70's loved it, but I didn't. They were in vogue then, I'm in vogue NOW!

Your finished butter should have all the good taste of your starting weed. If it has any of the muddy, bitter, veggie flavor - YOU COOKED IT TOO LONG. An hour is about all you need, as THC is quite soluable in animal fat (AKA butter) It is because of this fact that drug tests can still detect THC in your system months after you have smoked. The THC is still in your fat. And NOBODY has 0% body fat.

Once you have your Cannabutter it can be used in any recipe that calls for butter. Using about one ounce of GOOD pot to one pound of butter should yield butter of a potency were about two teaspoons should get you buzzed. The trick here is to use only good, WELL CLEANED, quality weed. If you wouldn't smoke it, DO NOT USE IT. Save it to sprinkle on pizza. Same for the big leaves. Seeds are for planting. stems make excellent toothbrushes while camping. Leaves are for use as a dry herb. Water will not extract THC, so don't try to make tea from them and get high. You'll only get the placebo effect.
The Moose

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: More on more........... Reply with quote

The easiest way to get a THC drink is to put a bud or two int a bottle of your favorite liquor, cap it back up, and stick it away in a cupboard for about a season. The resulting drink should get you high with a shot or two. CHEERS!

Remember: When eating or drinking THC it will take about a half hour to 45 mins for the THC to get into your bloodstream. WAIT AND SEE. Do not just keep taking more and more until you begin to feel it, or you might just get glued to your couch until you wet your pants. Enjoy, I bid you peace.
Echo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Moose wrote:
Do not just keep taking more and more until you begin to feel it, or you might just get glued to your couch until you wet your pants. Enjoy, I bid you peace.

Sooo true and such an easy mistake to make... lol oh! memories....
But I’ll stand my ground and I won’t back down
pipeman
regular contributor
regular contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: More on more........... Reply with quote

The Moose wrote:
The easiest way to get a THC drink is to put a bud or two int a bottle of your favorite liquor, cap it back up, and stick it away in a cupboard for about a season. The resulting drink should get you high with a shot or two. CHEERS!

Remember: When eating or drinking THC it will take about a half hour to 45 mins for the THC to get into your bloodstream. WAIT AND SEE. Do not just keep taking more and more until you begin to feel it, or you might just get glued to your couch until you wet your pants. Enjoy, I bid you peace.

must disagree with you moose. excellent butter can be made from unsmokeable leaf.

You are the first person I've read saying longer time does not give a stronger butter. When I make butter again I wanna experiment with short and long cooking times myself to see if it makes a difference. I've always cooked mine for 12hours or so got nothing to compare it with so far.
The Moose

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG! 12 HOURS! 4 Hours ...........TOPS!

But after an hour to an hour and a half you have extracted all that you really can of the essentials that you want. The cannibinoids that you are after are easily extracted and leave plant matter first. The heavier molecules and complex acids take longer. Look, it's like making really good coffee. Have you ever heard of espresso? That stuff tastes so good -even at it's strength, it's not bitter- because it is extracted quickly and only the good flavors come forth. The heavier, bitter chemicals don't have time to get into the brew. Most people who extract THC at home figure that they don't want to waste any of it ...so they boil the shit out of it ~~ literally. I have worked for three years in agricultural research labs directly under the head of enology. (That is wine research.) We run extract tests all the time and check our results with spectrographs. (High tech laser stuff.) I know of what I speak. And it tastes good too!
The Moose

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THC can be extracted into any animal fat, not just butter. You can infuse it into lard or bacon fat if you wish. I don't know if you consume such fats, so please forgive me if I have mentioned something that is offensive to you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Talk about yum! M MMM Good! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: