THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index
CANNABUTTER PART 1 - Urbie's Style

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Talk about yum! M MMM Good!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Urbanhog

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 8:22 am    Post subject: CANNABUTTER PART 1 - Urbie's Style Reply with quote

CANNABUTTER

I am surprised that a lot of people get confused on how to make cannabutter, and I notice some people use buds, which I personally think its a total waste, but everyone is different, and if you got truckload of buds, its your choice......

Everytime I haverest a small crop, or my mates's crops, I often end up with heaps of useless leaves, (I throw away the stems/branches)sometimes I often end up with between 1/4 to 1/2 pound of leaf depending on the haverset/strain/crop.

I just grab a large stockpot used by chefs to make chicken stock, soups, etc (I get and "hire" pots from ex-workmate, since I used to work in the hospitality industry for many years)

You will need:
*as much leaf you got, if its large stockpot, about 2 to 6 ozs
*500 grams of butter (not marg.)
*1 cup of canola or veggie oil (not olive oil)
*Water -it all depends on the size of stockpot,amount of leaf, just keep filling up until the leaves is "floating" under the water

Just chuck all in a stockpot, and bring to rapid boil for about 30 mins then turn down the tempeture until it simmers, with little boiling bubbles, not rapid boil like when you cook rice or pasta, and just leave it for over 4 hours, a lot people think 2 hours is enough, well, from my 7 years experience in Canna-Cooking I and discovered that the longer you boil, the more concrerated the THC gets in cannabutter, in my way, I often boil for average 7 hours, often on sundays when I got nothing to do, just relax over nice jpints and beers. Its important that you keep filling up with water now and then, just small amounts a time as water will eveporate over time.

I add butter and oil together, I find that this mix makes more "fatty" to enter our bodies in faster rate.

Grab a drainer and cover the drainer inside with a very old and thin teatowel or plain old dye-free t-shirt, and put the drainer above a large bowl, and have a kettle full of hot boiling water ready, Pour the water/pot/butter mix over the cloth covered drainer into a large bowl under.

Then you pour the hot water over the leaf to "wash" off the leftover butter sticking to the leaves.

Let the teatowl/cloth cool down then twist and squeeze the teatowel which often the last bit is the most concreated part of the butter, over a bowl.

put the bowl in the fridge overnight, and you will find that the cannabutter and water "seprated" and "hardens" on the top.

Scrap carefully, and put the floating cannabutter in other bowl,you can divide them all up into 8 serves and store them in the freezer until you need them.

CHUCK THE WATER OUT, ITS GOT NO THC, IT WONT GET YOU WASTED!!!

if you get confused about this instructions, just email me.
Cheers Laughing

P.S. - if you use oil instead of butter, you will have "canna-oil", it's usually bit more potent than cann-butter, and you might need to freeze it to seprate it for easier scrapping off if using oils..... wink

Urbanhog Cool

Last edited by Urbanhog on Fri May 16, 2003 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Urbanhog

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 8:33 am    Post subject: oops! forgot to add few more things! Reply with quote

I Just realised that I forgot to add few more things as I have been getting fair bit of PM's from inspired Canna-Cooks the most common question they asked was "after the short 30 mins rapid boiling, should I cover the stockpot or not while its simmering?"

I realised that I forgot to mention either it should be covered or not....

Well, I never cover my stockpot, I personally feel that when it covered, the steam/heat is trapped inside and it gets hotter while it's simmering, I just prefer to simmer my cannabutter uncovered, to keep in nice simmering tempetures not too hot.

Also....I usually fill the stockpot with leaves and fill up with water until it reaches approx 5-10cm or so above the leaves level then add the butter and just keep topping up with water so the leaves is able to move around freely, not too much water thou. IMO.

Everytime I make my cannabutter batch, the "green colour" in the butter is often isnt the same, sometimes its light green, dark green, and golden greenish colour in its many different shades of "green colours"....

Sometimes when you use 500grams or whatever butter you use... often at the end product... it's often several grams less than what you started the butter with because you have also evorapted few bits of the butter, the "liquid" parts of the butter not the fats, so don't worry too much, you may find bit of butter actually evoraptes, I mean sometimes when you cook greasy stuff or whatever with oils/fats sometimes you notice that the walls are bit greasy? yeah... oh yeah don't bother licking the fats off the walls if you are really that tightarsed to get stoned.... hehehe

Also you can use "Ghee" instead of butter, Ghee is pure butter common used for indian cooking and can tolerence higher tempetures without burning the "butter".

I am not sure about these pressure cookers.... I am not a big fan of them, I prefer the old fashioned way of cooking.... Rolling Eyes

IMPORTANTLY......And don't forget to open the kitchen windows wink

Goodluck!

Cheers
Urbanhog Cool
lucipher
getting into high spirits
getting into high spirits

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using a fairly simple technique with good results. The key was the crockpot I picked up at a second hand store. It's a common Rival crockpot with 2 temperature settings, low and high. All I do is put the crockpot on high temp and drop in 1 or 2 pounds of butter and when it has melted turn the temp to low and add shake until it's thoroughly saturated, I'd say I end up using about 1 part shake to 3 parts butter by volume. I let the crockpot go all night on low temp with the lid on and in the morning I pour it through a spare isolater bag (largest hole size) that I have and squeeze the butter out into a pan or what have you. After reading the post above next time I make butter I will pour some hot water to rinse all the butter off while it is still in the isolater bag, but I'll catch that in a separate pan and only stick that part of it in the freezer. I recently made a batch but I didn't have my isolater bag handy so I had to use a regular kitchen strainer and found the flavor to be more on the "browned herb" side, so straining is a good thing I would say.
Urbanhog

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing..... it would be interesting to see how you go next time when you drain it all off with hot water...

peace ...

Happy Cooking for 2005! Twisted Evil
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime."
--Mark Twain, The Innocents Abroad (1869)
The Moose
Cannabis Sacrament Minister

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your crockpot method sounds great! I'll have to try it. What I forgot to add to soome of me previous posts has a precook time. That is, I get better results if I cook the herb in water for an hour and a half ( no more than 4 hours) BEFORE adding the butter. This increases potency by activating latent cannibinoids that only be come active upon heating. These are activated when smoking the herb, but many are lost due to burning and others are lost in the free floating smoke rising from the ember. All the active cannibinoids are captured in the butter (or alcohol) extract method. I ommitted the precook time because I thought the topic was ............. better taste. Increased potency will result from longer cooking, but about 4 hours is tops. I have tested this in the lab.

And remember, the better the quality going in, the better the quality coming out.
Urbanhog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting input about your comments of boiling/simmering the cannabis in water first before adding the butter.

I plan to try that method next time I raid the kitchen with bags of pot Very Happy
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime."
--Mark Twain, The Innocents Abroad (1869)
The Moose

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say oil, what sort of oil do you mean?

To the best of my knowledge, THC is soluable in animal fats and alcohol. But, not vegetable oil. Therefore I have never tried it with anything other than butter, butter fat (in milk), lard, bacon fat, or alcohol. When using it as an herb, I always try and ensure that it is well incorporated into the dish or buried under some sort of coating so it won't get lost and all of it will end up being eaten.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Talk about yum! M MMM Good! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: