THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index
Cannabis as a Substitute for Alcohol
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Medical Cannabis, science and law.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ferre
Cannabis Sacrament Minister.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Cannabis as a Substitute for Alcohol Reply with quote

Interesting article on Cannabis as a cure for alcoholism...

http://www.doctordeluca.com/Library/AbstinenceHR/CannabisSubstituteAlcohol03.htm

Quote:
At the turn of the 19th century in the United States, cannabis was listed as a treatment for delirium tremens in standard medical texts (Edes 1887, Potter 1895) and manuals (Lilly 1898, Merck 1899, Parke Davis 1909).

Since delirium tremens signifies advanced alcoholism, we can adduce that patients who were prescribed cannabis and used it on a longterm basis were making a successful substitution.

By 1941, due to prohibition, cannabis was no longer a treatment option, but attempts to identify and synthesize its active ingredients continued (Loewe 1950). A synthetic THC called pyrahexyl was made available to clinical researchers, and one paper from the postwar period reports its successful use in easing the withdrawal symptoms of 59 out of 70 alcoholics. (Thompson and Proctor 1953).

In 1970 the author reported (op cit) on Mrs. A., a 49-year-old female patient whose drinking had become problematic. The patient had observed that when she smoked marijuana socially, on week-ends, she decreased her alcoholic intake. She was instructed to substitute cannabis any time she felt the urge to drink. This regimen helped her to reduce her alcohol intake to zero. The paper concluded, “It would appear that for selected alcoholics the substitution of smoked cannabis for alcohol may be of marked rehabilitative value. Certainly cannabis is not a panacea, but it warrants further clinical trial in selected cases of alcoholism.”

I hereby declare Peace on war!
█ Please read the Board Rules and Posting, and you
Radio Free Amsterdam
People who know truth, speak truth.
Those who don't, quote scriptures.
Jason
Cannabis Sacrament Minister

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never was a drinker. Cannabis does it all for me!
Ferre

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was younger I used to drink more than I do now, as a student I used to drink loads but with getting older I lost interest somehow.

I never lost interest in the herb though. Smile

I hereby declare Peace on war!
█ Please read the Board Rules and Posting, and you
Radio Free Amsterdam
People who know truth, speak truth.
Those who don't, quote scriptures.
reverendquenzer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be a big partier. Drank almost every night and drank more than my share. After awhile I realised that smoking had turned me away from all the drinking. I only drink on ocasion now.
Jason

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some unknown reason alcohol has never appealed to me. I never found it to taste good and I never liked the effects. I'm weird I guess! Herb, on the other hand has always been a favorite of mine and I love the effects although without a medical marijuana card it's been limited... Which I'll add sucks.!!
RevErikM
Shaman
Shaman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy the flavor of alcohol, but not the "buzzed" or "drunk" effects. It makes me feel sick.
Mystic Power
admin THC-Ministry YahooGroup
admin THC-Ministry YahooGroup

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferre wrote:
When I was younger I used to drink more than I do now, as a student I used to drink loads but with getting older I lost interest somehow.

I never lost interest in the herb though. Smile

Same here. When I was in the navy, I drank like sailors have for 10,000 years.

One day, liquor just didn't do it for me, anymore. The word intoxicate is from the root word TOXIC.

Herb is a different matter, entirely. Cool

In fact, most of the world's problems are created by people who suffer from CDS: Cannabinoid Deficiency Syndrome.

Follow Your Bliss,
Ben

"In Lak'ech"
~ Ancient Mayan: "I am another YOU." ~
malloryjade

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started drinking when I was 12 years old. Joined the Marines and continued to drink my ass off. I can remember downing a fifth of Jack Danials and being a good fourth of the way through another bottle. or if I chose beer I could down a case at night with a few mixed drinks this would be from 7p.m.-4am and I'd still be fine no falling down etc. Then one ight when I was 19 I just quit I went to the enlisted club with a friend and when the bar tender asked me what I wanted I didn't want any of it. So we left and got a bag of weed. I didn't drink again until I was 28 and thats when I met my husband We would drink on weekends not much though. Then I moved to Florida in 2003 and I couldn't get the good California weed and I hated it there so much not to mention the boogyman was haunting me so I started getting smashed everynight. Now I'm still struggling with it. I'm doing much better but it's hard right now because I have so much pressure on me to quit. I think too much and stress on it. Jeanne Herer wrote about how Timothy Leary and Jack Herer cured her alcoholism with lsd,mushrooms and extasy. Her having shared that story with me made me stronger. Now if I could just get my hands on the cure. Laughing Sorry I'm babbling. in pain I guess. I'm so lonely. Peace and love Mallory
malloryjade

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

again I digress...
Jason

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. My nephew left a few beers in the fridge yesterday and last night I was dying of thirst so I grabbed one for the hell of it and tried to drink it. I got half way done with it and had enough. This morning I have a throbbing headache. I will NEVER drink a beer again.!.!
Goddess Herb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry for your pain Sister Mallory I ask that your lesson be learned swiftly with as little pain as possible. I ask that you be open to receive the gift this difficult time has bestowed upon you and accept it with much strength and little resistance. I ask that you feel I am with you and you are not alone. So be it and so it is. Blessed Be. dove

As for that "cure" sounds like a truly enlightening experience. Hmm, I wonder what else it could "cure"... Laughing

My father was an alcoholic and my mother was too (although she only drank occasionally). I personally would never drink if I could smoke Cannabis freely. But as it stands now a couple of drinks now and again are my style. I too don't really like being drunk or sick or totally out of control. Much rather get High and be enlightened.

I'm sure most here would agree that alcohol is for the warring and Cannabis is for the peacemakers. I hope many will stop the fight and step into the light. smoke1

globe peace

If the founding fathers were alive today they would start a revolution.
Brother Adam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man..thank the lucky stars that I gave myself alcohol poisoning twice as a teenager. Even By the time I was 21 I didn't drink a lick. I got to the point that drinking a beer resulted in nothing but a headache. As a child I suffered chronic migraines with NO mercy for YEARS. (and they tried to tell me there was a god, hah) When it got to the point of giving me a headache it was VERY easy not to want alcohol anymore.

A few years back I went through some very hard times (means no cannabis) and drank a few beers here and there, but it still didn't cut it and still gave me headaches. Now, at 31 yrs old, I am totally alcohol free and really have a special sort of disdain for alcohol.

“Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives.”

-James Madison

Police officers acquitted for beating a 64 yr old man recently in New Orleans. In the words of their defense attorney "all he had to do was comply"....and they wouldn't have fractured his face.
malloryjade

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goddess Herb thank you for your kind words. I felt really low when I posted that . I personally know myself that I have a binge mentality and every once in awhile I go crazy with something. I have to be naughty or I get bored. I noticed when my kids went to their grandma's for 10 days I felt better than I had in a long time. since they've been home I'm exhausted and seriously stressed out. They're driving me to the brink of madness. I'm sure when school starts it will get better. it doesn't help when people are watching me and worrying because I have faith I'm going to get out of this just fine. I've always done things when I was ready and no-one was telling me to quit or telling me they were worried. I just hate all the outside pressure. it's like when you see an ad don't do drugs and you think hmmm do I have any? Yeah let's light up!! anyways... Brother Adam wow alcohol poisoning. I have never experienced that. Peace and Love Mallory Jade
Jason

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have however tried , dabbled, enjoyed, fought and overcame other substances in the past.

Some of my favorites:
LSD, Magic Mushrooms have had a special place in my heart although it's been years since I have been away on a trip...
Some of my not so favorites:
Cocaine/Crack, Meth which I hae dabbled in the past. Cocaine was like a bad friend that would stab you in the back if you got to friendly while Meth is the devils dust. I never did get out of hand with the Meth as I really like my sleep but there were times it did come in handy. Cocaine, however put my in the hospital once and gave me a death experience. Neither have I done for many . many moons.
Nowdays my Doc has me on Methadone for pain and I guess so I don't end up curled up in a little ball under the house because I've been on some sort of Opiate pain killer for the last 6-7 years. But on the subject f prescription goodies....
Xanex is good stuff only if I could get my doc to hand over some of that I'd be a bit happier.
SOMA, now here is a really good friend of mine. I have often said that SOMA's are a part of God himself, oh how I love good ole SOMA. Same thing though my Doc just won't cough them up either.... Maybe I should pull a Rush Limbaugh and find one that does....
I just fall back on the best thing out there, Cannabis wich without my grow is far and few between which sucks...
malloryjade

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep did the meth, crack, coke and cannabis. haven't tried any lsd or mushrooms but really want to. I've been drinking to also stave off the craving for drugs like coke and meth. mentally I'm not craving the alcohol it's my body now. I'm baby stepping. as for prescriptions I get tons but I'm not a pill abuser. I only use them for pain. I do have tranquilizers but cannabis works better for me. if I was to abuse pills though I'd do percocets and morphine based ones. Thanks for sharing Jason. I do love drugs !!!!! I just only allow the mild ones I want to be here for my kids.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Medical Cannabis, science and law. All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: