THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index
AustraliaBasqueBulgariaCanadaChinaEgyptFranceGreeceIcelandIndiaIndonesiaIrelandJamaicaJapanJordanLatviaMexicoNetherlandsNew Zealand
NorwaySpainPakistanLebanonPeruPolandPeurto RicoRomaniaRussiaSingaporeSouth AfricaSudanSwedenThailandTurkeyUnited KingdomUSAUzbekistan
Canada: Krieger faces fresh pot charge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> The 'War on Drugs'
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ferre
Cannabis Sacrament Minister.
Cannabis Sacrament Minister.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Canada: Krieger faces fresh pot charge Reply with quote

Quote:
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 09:40:32 -0800
Subject: 002 Canada: Krieger faces fresh pot charge

Newshawk: CMAP ( http://www.mapinc.org/cmap )
Pubdate: Friday, January 9, 2004
Source: Calgary Herald (CN AB)
Author: Scott Crowson and Jason van Rassel

Webpage: http://www.mapinc.org/cancom/21722B6D-F88B-4769-A1AC-867C8795AFA3

Krieger faces fresh pot charge

Scott Crowson and Jason van Rassel
Calgary Herald

As the legal woes mount for medicinal marijuana advocate Grant Krieger, supporters are praising his "heroic" efforts while critics say good intentions don't exempt him from the law.

Krieger, who is appealing a trafficking conviction here last month, is facing a new legal battle after being stopped by police Wednesday night outside Winnipeg.

Officers pulled over a vehicle near Headingley and seized a pound of pot, said Sgt. Steve Saunders, spokesman for the RCMP in Manitoba. A trafficking charge is pending.

Krieger told the Herald he was delivering the marijuana to chronically ill patients.

He said the weed was worth $3,200. Police also seized about $4,000 in cash -- the proceeds from marijuana delivered to chapters of Krieger's compassion club in Saskatoon and Regina, he said.

"It's a really heavy hit," Krieger said. "(But) the people who are really penalized are the people who are sick and on a fixed income."

The 49-year-old Calgarian is a longtime multiple sclerosis sufferer and uses cannabis butter to manage his pain. While patients who are issued waivers can legally grow and possess small amounts of the drug, Krieger said people like him who provide a safe, reliable supply are still subject to prosecution.

Many salute Krieger's efforts.

"Grant's a modern-day hero," said Marc Emery, president of the B.C. Marijuana Party.

"He's doing some tremendous things for a lot of people at no personal gain to himself. You can't fault a guy for that."

The editor of Cannabis Health, based in Grand Forks, B.C., said Krieger has paid a huge price.

"Grant has no intention of quitting what he's doing, regardless of what the courts do to him," said Brian Taylor. "He's committed to the point where his family has been disrupted."

Calgary Northeast MP Art Hanger, however, rejected the notion that nobel intentions should exempt Krieger from prosecution.

"I don't buy that," said the Canadian Alliance representative. "Who appointed him to be the distributor of the marijuana?"

According to Mount Royal College criminologist John Winterdyk, officers have no choice but to lay charges. "Police are required to enforce the law irrespective of public opinion or attitudes," the Calgary instructor said. "Their hands are tied."

Krieger was released from police custody on a promise to appear in court in Winnipeg on March 19.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rev. Chazman
Cannabis Sacrament Minister
Cannabis Sacrament Minister

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant stand it anymore.
Quote:
"I don't buy that," said the Canadian Alliance representative. "Who appointed him to be the distributor of the marijuana?"
He had to appoint himself because the authorities wont do it. Something has to stop this madness. A man who is a medical user, puts himself out there to help other medical users and they call him a criminal. Im so angry I dont know what to say.

Stop the Madness

Peace
THC-Ministry "we use Cannabis religiously and you can to" http://www.thc-ministry.org/
Take nothing but memories, Leave nothing but footprints.
CDXX Peace Time IV:XX ** Rev.Chazman-Cannabis Sacrament Minister
Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> The 'War on Drugs' All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: