THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index
Assassin
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Cannabis, Religion and History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ferre
Cannabis Sacrament Minister.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 8:23 am    Post subject: Assassin Reply with quote

Assassins *not such a friendly bunch, according to history :
Quote:

Arabic HASHSHASH, plural HASHSHASHIN, in Middle Eastern and Asian history, any member of the Nizari Isma'ilites, a religiopolitical Islamic sect dating from the 11th to the 13th century and known, in its early years, for murdering its enemies as a religious duty. The Arabic name means "hashish smoker," referring to the Assassins' alleged practice of taking hashish to induce ecstatic visions of paradise before setting out to face martyrdom. The historical existence of this practice, however, is doubtful. The stories that were told by Marco Polo and other travelers about the gardens of paradise into which the drugged devotees were introduced to receive a foretaste of eternal bliss are not confirmed by any known Isma'ilite source.

The Assassins were a product of dynastic strife among the Fatimids, who were the heads of the Shi'ite Isma'ilite movement and had set up a rival caliphate in Egypt in opposition to that of the 'Abbasids in Baghdad. After the death of the Fatimid caliph al-Mustansir (1094), Hasan-e Sabbah and other Isma'ilites in Iran refused to recognize the new Fatimid caliph in Cairo and transferred their allegiance to his deposed elder brother, Nizar, and the latter's descendants. There thus grew up the sect of the Nizari Isma'ilites, who were at odds with the Fatimid caliphs in Cairo and were also deeply hostile to the 'Abbasids. The Nizaris made many changes in Isma'ilite doctrine, the most significant, from the point of view of the outside world, being the adoption of terrorism as a sacred religious duty.

The open history of the Assassins began in 1090, when Hasan and his allies captured the hill fortress of Alamut near Kazvin, Iran. From this centre, by the end of the 11th century, Hasan, as grand master or leader of the sect, commanded a chain of strongholds all over Iran and Iraq, a network of propagandists, a corps of devoted terrorists, and an unknown number of agents in enemy camps and cities. The Seljuq sultanate's attempts to capture Alamut failed, and soon the Assassins were claiming many victims among the generals and statesmen of the 'Abbasid caliphate, including two caliphs.

In the early 12th century the Assassins extended their activities to Syria, where the expansion of Seljuq rule had created a favourable climate for terrorist activities by extremist elements among the local Shi'ite minority. After a period of preparation, the Assassins seized a group of castles in the An-Nusayriyah Mountains, the most important of which was Masyaf. From this fortress the Syrian grand master, the legendary Rashid ad-Din as-Sinan, ruled virtually independently of Assassin headquarters at Alamut. Rashid and his successor chiefs were known as the shaykh al-jabal (Arabic: "mountain chief"), which was mistranslated by the crusaders as the "Old Man of the Mountain."

Assassin power came to an end as the Mongols under Hülegü captured Assassin castles in Iran one by one until in 1256 Alamut itself fell. The Syrian castles were gradually subjugated by the Mamluk sultan Baybars I and placed under Mamluk governors. Henceforth the sect stagnated as a minor heresy. Its followers are still to be found in Syria, Iran, and Central and South Asia, with the largest group in India and Pakistan, where they are known as Khojas and owe allegiance to the Aga Khan. The term "assassin" was brought by the crusaders from Syria to Europe, where it acquired its present meaning of one who murders a politically important person either for hire or from fanatical motives.

Copyright © 1994-2000 Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc.

I hereby declare Peace on war!
█ Please read the Board Rules and Posting, and you
Radio Free Amsterdam
People who know truth, speak truth.
Those who don't, quote scriptures.
viper
Cannabis Sacrament Minister

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a myth.

The Assasin's were not hashish users.

The legendary gardens of Almut never existed.

The myth is is explored & exploded in R.C. Clarke's authoritive book 'Hashish'.

Lilli

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will have to agree to disagree there viper. It was real. Theres plenty of reasearch its history bro. peace ~Lilli~

I pass to you the torch that Christ once passed to me.
Others are still in the dark and need
the light to see.
"I AM"
"Gathering the fragments so that
none are lost"
His Shepherdess
http://missouri.thcministry.org/
viper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Castle of Almut is there , yes.

The Assasins also existed, & served the 'Old Man of The Hill'.

There is no evidence at all of cannabis use among the Assasins.

Lilli

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[French, from Medieval Latin assassnus, from Arabic an, pl. of a, hashish user, from a, hashish. See hashish.]
Word History: At first glance, one would be hard-pressed to find a link between pleasure and the acts of assassins. Such was not the case, however, with those who gave us the word assassin. They were members of a secret Islamic order originating in the 11th century who believed it was a religious duty to harass and murder their enemies. The most important members of the order were those who actually did the killing. Having been promised paradise in return for dying in action, the killers, it is said, were made to yearn for paradise by being given a life of pleasure that included the use of hashish. From this came the name for the secret order as a whole, an, “hashish users.” After passing through French or Italian, the word came into English and is recorded in 1603 with reference to the Muslim Assassins.

[Download or Buy Now]
Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

assassin

\As*sas"sin\, n. [F. (cf. It. assassino), fr. Ar. `hashishin one who has drunk of the hashish. Under its influence the Assassins of the East, followers of the Shaikh al-Jabal (Old Man of the Mountain), were said to commit the murders required by their chief.] One who kills, or attempts to kill, by surprise or secret assault; one who treacherously murders any one unprepared for defense.

as·sas·sin ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-ssn)
n.
One who murders by surprise attack, especially one who carries out a plot to kill a prominent person.
Assassin A member of a secret order of Muslims who terrorized and killed Christian Crusaders and others.

the light to see.
"I AM"
none are lost"
His Shepherdess
viper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I refer you to pages 30-33 R.C. Clarke, 'Hashish', Red Eye Press 1998.

"the name Hashishi (hashish eater, assassin,) is local to Syria, & is probably a term of popular abuse"

Ferre

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we'll never know will we? rofl togo

I hereby declare Peace on war!
█ Please read the Board Rules and Posting, and you
Radio Free Amsterdam
People who know truth, speak truth.
Those who don't, quote scriptures.
Lilli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh

the light to see.
"I AM"
none are lost"
His Shepherdess
Whitegold

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferre wrote:
I guess we'll never know will we? rofl togo

I would like to interject at this point....to know something do we not personally have to experience it?

Having not experienced it in this lifetime, I suppose you could become an assassin to experience it...but who really wants to smoke hash?? (notwithstanding pollom)....and become a hashish smoking killer?...not for me taa...I like ministering too much to kill anyone Smile

Long live Marijuana banana
Cannabis Seeds UK
dan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marijuana has the main feature of making one focus! this is why the Avesta say's for 5 it is for 5 it is not. It is not for those who would focus on evil for it would make them the best! As far as whether assassin is hashhassin there is evidence of that in the Avesta, as well as many dictionaries, and one might also consider that the scythians (also known cannabis users) were known as fierce warriors. the first with bow and arrow, and they packed there homes with them (tents).. And on the avesta thing it is constantly declaring for Haoma to hurl thigh mace, and that haoma gives the power to see ones enemies before they strike.(see peoples motives)
I guess what I'm trying to say is if one was going to be an assassin hashish would make them better, and more focused!

While some rely on unprovable lies and man-made Icons,
we rely on the provably ancient religious reliance "Hemp";
in all its forms and for all of its uses!!!!!

With good thoughts, good words, good deeds we honor the Holy Marijuana as the Teacher, The Provider, The Protector."
selfdeception
getting into high spirits

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have heard that hassan is credited with saying "nothing is true and everything is permitted"... under what context was this meant... was this the sort of thing he said in a hash induced stupor? or was he infact an early chaote?
Rev.DonEstebonGoneCMA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the many reigns at Alamut, one of Hasan's successors declared "Quiyama" (I believe i am spelling this right. I will come back with sources later Embarassed ) during the Islamic holiday of Rommadan, in which he declared the observance of fasting during this holiday and other traditional Muslim practices as obsolete, due only for the ignorant and uninitiated, and began the practice of praying with his back to Mecca and holding hedonistic feasts during fasting periods.

This practice was upheld his entire life and changed back with the succession of his son.

The blasphemous acts were so unfathomable to the status-quo that they attributed all sorts of heathenistc actions to the Ismalis', though it is highly likely during this time period hashish was openly grown and consumed. But it is just as likely that before and after that period, traditional Muslim observances were held, and no alcohol usually meant no hashish.

The Ismalis were a highly persecuted group as well, eating hashish during oppressive times was a pleasure they could hardly afford, with war at every angle...Though I guess we find the time don't we!

*H-LAW*HEALTH/LOVE/AWARENESS/WEALTH
Valdemar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would actually make point...
Who knows if these assasins ever existed but the fact that they smoked hash would make enormous sense.
Everytime i have smoked i have had this enormous feeling to kill or mutilate someone and after smoking you tend to focus alot more and become more confident e.t.c.
Laughing Maybe i am just sick or something Laughing
I rape and torture, modern messiah
Spin~ello

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

viper
Quote:
I refer you to pages 30-33 R.C. Clarke, 'Hashish', Red Eye Press 1998.

"the name Hashishi (hashish eater, assassin,) is local to Syria, & is probably a term of popular abuse"

words are often carried over to other cultures.

selfdeception
Quote:
i have heard that hassan is credited with saying "nothing is true and everything is permitted"... under what context was this meant... was this the sort of thing he said in a hash induced stupor? or was he infact an early chaote?

"nothing is true and everything is permitted"
Means nothing we have been taught is true.It is all a lie,to decieve mankind and domesticate/control us.
Once the mind is free "everything is permitted".
If no one tells you,what to do."everything is permitted".
Animals/mankind unless caught and domesticated/controled have no barriers of what they can and cannot do.

Check out my Hemperor & Hawaii themes for Firefox.

Pay heed,I plead,Plant the seed ,. 4 we all
need, the reed weed seed
to be freed, from greed and creeds!

I bid(offer)U peace
Nachtschattenreich

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be disputed whether Harry Anslinger and Roberta Wilson will meet in heaven or in hell, but meet they will. yikes pc1

I´ve linked to this before, but after reading this thread I think it belongs here. This is an issue on which other cultures take our fiction for real:

Quote:
Listen to the following secret communiqué: "At the command and with the guidance of Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, the Supreme Guide of the Islamic Revolution in Iran, and under the title 'The Shi'a of Ali Are Victorious', the extended conference of the world's Shiites was held in the holy city of Qom. It was attended by the leaders of all Shiite parties and religious authorities. The conference decided that a global organization must be established to annihilate the people who are left, to examine and analyze the current regional situation, to build a military force, to infiltrate governmental institutions through the women's organizations everywhere, and then to infiltrate intelligence agencies, and to finish off the Sunni leaders, even by assassination." This is the plan of the Hashashin, which still exists. There is a fatwa by their imams and religious authorities, which permits the trading and planting of hashish, in order to profit and to cover up their crimes.

Says an expat Syrian in Europe. Sunni Muslims come to think of Jamkaran as the new Alamut.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Cannabis, Religion and History All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: