THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index
Anorexia, depression and the effects of weed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Testimonials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smoke and Mirrors
Cannabis Sacrament Minister

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Anorexia, depression and the effects of weed. Reply with quote

I know cannabis gets a bad rap for making mental health issues worse (the is research that says it can accelerate the symptoms of schizophrenia) but I had to share my experience about cannabis and recovery.

Since the age of about 11 or 12 and all through my teenage years into my early 20s, I suffered from serious depression (complete with anxiety attacks and all that fun stuff) and eating disorders (swtiching between anorexia and bulimia...a 'not otherwise specified' in psychologist terms). I started smoking weed when I was in my teens, along with drinking heavily and taking other random substances. Looking back, it was all a kind of self-destructive thing (I gave up drinking at 19 and stopped taking everything for a while to try and 'clear my head'...no such luck). Anyway, after a pretty bad (ok, ridiculously horrible) breakdown when I was 21, I really began to get things together. I cut down the class As, kept off alcohol (I'm not knocking alcohol, just it's effects on me!) and made a concerted effort to really enjoy life.

One of the things I really enjoyed (and still do) was a sweet sweet smoke, usually in the context of a relaxing night in with good friends, good music and great conversation. And when I smoked, I was hungry. And when I was hungry, I ate food. And I enjoyed it! And I didn't consider the calories and any of the that stuff. At first, I felt like crap the next day, 'guilty' for eating 'bad' food, but eventually, I started actually enjoying food when I wasn't stoned. It was like my body and brain and finally accepted that food was there to be enjoyed and I didn't need to be punished for enjoying it. I'm still not as 'ok' about my body image as I'd like to be, but I'm a LOT better than I was. I can't credit the weed with the whole recovery - an amazing husband and supportive friends worked wonders - but the weed helped a LOT!!

As for the depression...numerous psychologists couldn't figure it out, anti-depressants didn't help (some made it worse) and I'd pretty much accepted that I would just feel numb forever. I would switch from lethargy and numbness to absolute neurotic paranoia and I constantly felt exhausted and stressed. But...again, the smoking helped! I learned to relax PROPERLY, to the point where I can now think myself into a relaxed state without the need to smoke anything. So I can't credit the weed with fixing my head, but it helped a LOT!

I couldn't even begin to recommend any drug or plant to 'fix' mental health problems - I can only comment on my own experiences. But after years of feeling nothing, I learned to feel real happiness and excitement again. I learned to relax and just chill after forgetting what it felt like NOT to be frustrated and tense. After years of hating myself and hating food, I accepted that my body was a beautiful amazing machine and food was a good tasty fuel. I can't give full credit to one drug or one plant....but the weed helped a LOT!

Peace,
Kitty xx

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kitty,
I am so glad that you have found something that works for your health issues. I have my own serious health problems, and cannabis helps me get through the day. Cannabis is a gift from God, and is good for the spirit, as well as the mind and body.

Peace out
Lilli

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen.

I pass to you the torch that Christ once passed to me.
Others are still in the dark and need
the light to see.
"I AM"
"Gathering the fragments so that
none are lost"
His Shepherdess
http://missouri.thcministry.org/
Klark420

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad for your recovery, I think maybe it would be a good thing to write your local and federal law makers and tell them the wonderfull properties of cannabis, so they will change these outdated infractions of our civil liberties and then everyone will be able to partake of the Shang-ra-la that is cannabis.
pipeman
regular contributor
regular contributor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice story kitty, put a smile on my face Smile
Irreversible

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice to hear i'm not alone kitty, great to read your post.. Much love and respect from Oz.. dove
zero

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I myself get really wierd mentally when I dont smoke, (or drink, but thats another matter altogether).

A good change of perspective always helps.

"I understand that fear is my friend, but not always. Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
Echo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story Kitty.

I believe that depression and the "funny bits" that come with it are primarily biochemical. There are more and more depressed people around. Could be the food we eat, the crappy air we breath. Everything is working against us. And the pharmaceutical industry makes good money out of it. I am very glad you are finding the energy again. I am happy that the herb helped you in the process of enjoying life again.

Depression is an epidemic. I wouldn't be surprised at all if I learned it's a man made condition to get money out of people_on purpose. Just reading what aspartame can do to us makes me freak out.

Take care sis, we all share this rotting polluted world.

XXX
But I’ll stand my ground and I won’t back down
waldo125

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Testimonials All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: