THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index
AustraliaBasqueBulgariaCanadaChinaEgyptFranceGreeceIcelandIndiaIndonesiaIrelandJamaicaJapanJordanLatviaMexicoNetherlandsNew Zealand
NorwaySpainPakistanLebanonPeruPolandPeurto RicoRomaniaRussiaSingaporeSouth AfricaSudanSwedenThailandTurkeyUnited KingdomUSAUzbekistan
A different voice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> General news topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ferre
Cannabis Sacrament Minister.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 10:12 pm    Post subject: A different voice Reply with quote

I'm no American, but this sounds different than what we've been used to hear from U.S. politicians. this one's a canditate too if I'm right.
Quote:
DENNIS KUCINICH: THE PROGRESSIVE CHOICE

As a candidate for President, I offer a different vision for America, one which separates me from the other candidates. I am the only candidate for President who will take this country away from fear and war and tax giveaways, and use America's peace dividend for guaranteed health care for all, ending health care for profit. I am the only candidate who will stop the privatization of social security and bring the retirement age back to 65.

(*)
As President, I will cancel NAFTA and the WTO, restore our manufacturing jobs, save our family farms, create full employment programs, create new jobs by rebuilding our cities and schools. As President, I will repeal the Patriot Act to regain for all Americans the sacred right of privacy in our homes, our libraries, our schools.

This is a grassroots campaign to take back America. Join me from your cities, your towns, your farms and your campuses. (Presidential Debate, ABC News, 5/3/03)

5/21/2003
Kucinich on the House Floor: "A War Based on Pretext"

During consideration of a Defense Authorization bill, Congressman Dennis Kucinich -- leader of anti-war opposition on Capitol Hill -- took to the House floor to again challenge the Bush Administration's deceptions on Iraq:

"This Administration led this nation into a war based on a pretext that Iraq was an imminent threat, which it was not. The Secretary of State presented pictures to the world he said were proof. Today, despite having total control in Iraq, none of the very serious claims that the Administration made to this Congress, to this nation, and to the world have been substantiated.

"Where are the weapons of mass destruction? Indeed, what was the basis for the war? We spend $400 billion for defense. Will we spend a minute to defend truth? The American people gave up their health care, education and veterans benefits to pay for this war. And for what? Answer the questions, Mr. President."

5/19/2003
KUCINICH SCORES IN IOWA

As was widely reported this past weekend (Washington Post, L.A. Times, etc.), Dennis Kucinich was ranked number one by undecided union members at Saturday's candidate forum in Des Moines at AFSCME's national convention. Reuters reported: "A focus group of 30 union members in Iowa, which holds the first nominating contest in January, found Kucinich with the highest overall rating and Sharpton, Gephardt and Dean right behind, pollster Celinda Lake said. 'I loved what Kucinich feels in his gut and how he supports labor; I think he gained a lot of support today,' Michael Arken of Portland, Oregon, said after the forum."

Despite a late start, our campaign is gaining traction in this crucial heartland caucus state. "Kucinich has been spending considerable time in Iowa," reported the political columnist of the Des Moines Register, "and his good score indicates he could be on the verge of becoming a factor in the Iowa contest."

Kucinich received a rousing reaction to his opening remarks:
"As President, I'll make sure that workers' rights are enshrined in a Workers' White House. As President, I'll issue an executive order which will say that anyone who gets a federal contract will have to provide that when 50% of the workers sign up for a union, there's an automatic union. As President, I'll set aside those provisions of Taft-Harley which attack the right to organize. As President (with a 100% AFSCME voting record, I might add), one of my first acts in office -- recognizing how trade has devastated so many towns around Iowa and the nation -- will be to cancel NAFTA and the WTO.

"I ask this administration: Tell me, Mr. Bush, where are those weapons of mass destruction? I've seen those weapons, and I'll tell you where they are. Joblessness is a weapon of mass destruction. Poverty is a weapon of mass destruction. Hopelessness is a weapon of mass destruction. Let's bring back hope in America. Let's bring back jobs in America. Let's bring back workers' rights in America! Thank you."

Quote:
AS CLEVELAND MAYOR, KUCINICH’S FIGHT TO SAVE PUBLIC POWER
A Profile in Political Courage...and Vindication

Having been elected to Cleveland’s City Council at age 23, Dennis Kucinich was well-known to Cleveland voters when they chose him as their mayor in 1977 at the age of 31. He was elected mayor on a promise that he would not sell off or privatize the beloved and trusted city-owned power system, though Cleveland was deeply in debt.

Cleveland Magazine offered this summary: “Kucinich refused to yield to bankers who gave him a choice: Sell the Municipal Light System to the Cleveland Electric Illuminating Co. or the city will go into default. The mayor said no.”

When Kucinich refused to sell Muny Light, the banks took the unprecedented step of refusing to roll over the city’s debt, as is customary. Instead, they pushed the city into default. It turned out the banks were thoroughly interlocked with the private utility, CEI, which would have acquired monopoly status by taking over Muny Light. Five of the six banks held almost 1.8 million shares of CEI stock; of the 11 directors of CEI, eight were also directors of four of the six banks involved.

By holding to his campaign promise and putting principle above politics, he lost his re-election bid and his political career was derailed. But today Kucinich stands vindicated for having confronted the Enron of his day, and for saving the municipal power company. “There is little
debate,” wrote Cleveland Magazine in May 1996, “over the value of Muny Light today. Now Cleveland Public Power, it is a proven asset to the city that between 1985 and 1995 saved its customers $195,148,520 over what they would have paid CEI.” He also preserved hundreds of union jobs.

When Kucinich re-launched his political career in the mid-1990s, it was on the strength of having saved public power. His campaign symbol was a light bulb. “Because he was right!” was his campaign slogan when he won his seat in the state senate in 1994. The slogan that sent him to Washington two years later was “Light Up Congress.”

In 1998, the Cleveland City Council issued a commendation to Dennis Kucinich for "having the courage and foresight to refuse to sell the city's municipal electric system."

Quote:
A safe, free and just America is undermined, not bolstered, by the costly and ineffective War on Drugs. While well-intentioned, this misguided policy -- which emphasizes criminalization over treatment -- has led to increased violent crime, misdirected resources of law enforcement and restricted Constitutional liberties.

Despite billions spent yearly on the drug war, addiction is up. Our country must rethink a policy that produces many casualties, but benefits only the prison-industrial complex. Non-violent drug offenders often receive Draconian sentences, tearing apart families.

Racial bias in the enforcement of drug laws is pervasive. According to a Human Rights Watch report based on FBI statistics, blacks were arrested on drug charges at nearly five times the rate of whites. Drug use is consistent across racial and socioeconomic lines -- yet in the state of New York, for example, 94 percent of incarcerated drug offenders are Latino or African-American, mostly from poor communities.

Countries in Europe and elsewhere are turning away from failed policies. They are treating addiction as a medical problem and are seeing significant reductions in crime and violence -- with fewer young people becoming involved with addictive drugs in the first place. In our country, due to misplaced priorities and resources, only one bed exists
for every ten people who apply for drug treatment. Addiction is a medical and moral problem that should be treated by professionals, not dumped on the criminal justice system

Most Americans believe that medical marijuana should be available to help relieve the suffering of seriously ill patients, and eight states have passed laws to allow it. But the Bush administration has harassed medical marijuana patients in an effort to assert federal authority. This is another aspect of the drug war that should be ended.

visit his website here :
http://www.kucinich.us/

(*)hehe, look at his eyes! wowie shocked2 jpint stinky foto
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ferre

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I got this in the mail :

Quote:
IT'S 7 MONTHS UNTIL IOWA CAUCUSES, BUT YOU CAN VOTE FOR DENNIS TODAY

If you are a MoveOn.org member, please vote for Dennis Kucinich in today's presidential straw poll. And spread the word to other MoveOn members.

If you are not a member, please join up to receive their action alerts at http://www.moveon.org/keepmeposted/. As Dennis Kucinich was leading antiwar opposition in Congress, MoveOn played a central role in building grassroots opposition to that illegal war. After Dennis helped build a small group of Congressional dissidents into the nearly 2/3 of House Democrats who ultimately voted against the Iraq war resolution, MoveOn helped organize a "virtual march on Washington" that sought to stop the war.

MoveOn is not a single issue group; it mobilizes around many issues -- including opposition to right wing judges, tax cuts favoring the wealthy and FCC deregulation of our mass media -- issues that align perfectly with Kucinich supporters. MoveOn has been the progressive community's most powerful and cohesive online force in raising funds and generating calls/faxes/emails to elected officials.

While you're spreading the word about MoveOn, keep spreading the word about the Kucinich campaign for peace, justice, universal single-payer health care, fair trade, sustainability and equal rights. http://www.kucinich.us Remember, Dennis Kucinich is the only Democratic presidential candidate who voted against the civil liberties-shredding "Patriot Act." He's the Progressive Choice.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Drrock
regular contributor
regular contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I think this fellow has some great ideas, I just hope that announcing his intetions right off the start he is not "shooting himself in the foot" After speaking out the way he has, he will surely become a target for the Republican Propaganda machine. He can probably expect some mudslinging from his fellow Democratic nominee's . He is a Democrat but he speaks out like an Independant , I like this about him.

A SilverSpirit
Happy to be here
Happy to be here

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need more people willing to stand up for what's right, I pray this is a beginning of better days.

A SilverSpirit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> General news topics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: