THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index
£10 Annual Smoking licence

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> General news topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David
Bard
Bard

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: £10 Annual Smoking licence Reply with quote

Quote:
Call for annual £10 smoking licence
Forcing smokers to apply for a £10 permit to buy cigarettes could help people to quit, a government health adviser said.

Professor Julian Le Grand, chairman of Health England, said more people might stop smoking if they had to "opt in" by applying for an annual permit and paying a £10 fee.

"Some 70% of smokers actually want to stop smoking. So if you just make it that little bit more difficult for them to actually re-start or even to start in the first place, yes I think it will make a big difference," he told BBC Radio 5 Live.

He said some people would be deterred from smoking if they had to make the effort to fill in a complicated form, get a photograph taken and pay a charge.

"It's a little bit of a problem to actually do it, so you have got to make a conscious decision every year to opt in to being a smoker," he added.

The proposal is one of Health England's suggestions for preventing illness which has been sent to health minister Lord Darzi

Simon Clark, of smokers' rights group Forest, said the smoking permit proposal was outrageous.

"We are becoming not just a nanny state but a bully state," he said.

"Smokers already face record levels of taxation and this would be another financial hit on them. Tobacco is a perfectly legal product.

"There are a whole host of things out there that are potentially dangerous. If smokers are targeted in this way, it's a very short step to slapping a similar charge on anyone who wants to buy alcohol or any other product ministers don't approve of."
Moving towards a tobacco black market.
malloryjade
Cannabis Sacrament Minister

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a pain in the butt. while I understand this plan it's lacking logic. I can see the whole black market idea coming to a head as well.
Brother Adam

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a moron. Totally. That idea isn't about helping people quit smoking, it's about gaining a little more of their hard earned money through another tax. Aren't cigarettes taxed already? Asswipes. I'm about sick of the constant manipulation. Often times things like this are just a pre-cursor to something much worse. They just throw out stuff like this to get people used to accepting their new restraints. Like breaking a horse. Gotta get 'em used to the saddle.

“Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives.”

-James Madison

Police officers acquitted for beating a 64 yr old man recently in New Orleans. In the words of their defense attorney "all he had to do was comply"....and they wouldn't have fractured his face.
viper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

................. and what are they going to do if they find you smoking without a liscence ?

As an adult my age is my liscence.

On any other section of society they would call this persecution and discrimination.

David
Bard
Bard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Like breaking a horse.
We are free, as long as we do as we are told.
Basically Viper they are testing the water, and move towards no licence no cigarettes, they seem to think that if kids can't get a licence there is no possible way of them being able to get cigarettes. The think tank that came up with the idea probably got a big chunk of our tax payment. Jobs for muppets.
Brother Adam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's real smart. Since kids already don't have ID's that prove they are of age (in most cases) they're not supposed to be able to get cigarettes as it is. How is another ID going to slow it down or even change it at all?

Talk about some brainless twits, I swear. No doubt somebody is patting themselves on the back for that idea too. Probably get a nobel prize like Al Gore did for complaining about carbon dioxide! Rolling Eyes

“Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives.”

-James Madison

Police officers acquitted for beating a 64 yr old man recently in New Orleans. In the words of their defense attorney "all he had to do was comply"....and they wouldn't have fractured his face.
David
Bard
Bard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one that got me Adam is that if they were to bring it into use they are expecting people to give up because they would rather give up than fill out a form.
I'll be the first to claim help, due to dyslexia. I'll get them to fill the form out for me, even though I don't smoke cigarettes Laughing

They haven't thought about that, I bet!
Brother Adam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, funny....maybe you should get the Nobel prize. Heck, if you were a zionist scumbag like the rest of em you could get a nobel prize just on a whim!

-James Madison

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> General news topics All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: